2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Trae

Next United States President  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Other

C'mon man, give it a rest. Only 25 of the 42 presidents were Lawyers and less than half went to Ivy League schools. Hell, nine had no degrees at all. What kind of litmus test is that? Also, do you realize how you come off to the rest of us "underlings" that don't have law degrees and perfect school records?

I hope I come off as suggesting that you would not be qualified to be president, either. Hell, I"M not qualified to be president, even with more education, and apparently more interest and knowledge of issues inportant to the 300 million residents of the lower 48. As I said earlier, it is not the law degree or the school pedigree, but there must be SOMETHING to qualify the person...well, at least for me. Clearly, you are one that believes your next door neighbor could do a fine job running the world's biggest economy, biggest army, and biggest nuclear arsenal. I DON'T!

I don't blame Sarah Palin for accepting John McCain's invitation to be Vice President. I blame John McCain for putting JOHN McCAIN FIRST! And, I further blame all Americans who refuse to demand accountability for that choice, and further defend the refusal to allow a public vetting of that choice, so that voters can make an informed decision. If that includes you, as your posts suggest it does, then yes, I blame you.

I had no problem with the public vetting of Barack Obama. If he wants the biggest job in the world, he should display the toughness and intelligence needed to perform in that job. For 18 months now, he has been subjected to that vetting. Democrats at least, have approved of him, and did so against a formidable opponent in Hillary Clinton, a candidate who was subjected to a formidable vetting of her own. Palin? Nothing. No campaign. No interviews. No policy statements. Not a damn thing. And, what is your response? You suggest that I am arrogant for claiming I know more than Palin does. Well, I am not arrogant. I am disgusted. I am disgusted that John McCain is so self-centered and narcissistic that he would endanger the country he claims to put first just to satisfy his naked ambition to be president.

So, why don't you quit wasting my time telling me what you think of lawyers. Why don't you tell me why I shouldn't be disgusted with John McCain's vanity, and the ignorance of my fellow voters for falling for it?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems as if the Repubs only like service men and women IF they agree with their policies.

How dare this man speak his mind.

Here are some great quotes from the "Republican Convention Welcoming Committee" Group that you are defending

Source: Wall street Journal, Article "Republican Convention Sees Violent Demonstrations", Sept 4, 2008

"I think it really exposes that we live in a police state," said a woman who gave her name as Loaf Owls, her age as 20 years old, and said she was a professional clown. "Someone at the march said yesterday that anarchists are protectors of the people, and that pretty much sums up why I'm here."

"We'll protest the grass being green," shouted Robert Wilson, 45, who said he is homeless. "I love protesting. My favorite cologne is pepper spray."

Speaking your mind in public is one thing - like Joe Leiberman did at the convention at great personal cost - (and with internet forums like this it is pretty easy to do). Breaking into a private meeting for the media spotlight the organizers of the event attracted that you can't attract for yourself is something entirely different. If these individuals were not invited and trespassed, they should be charged with grand larceny for they effectively stole the cost of a 10 second prime time TV ad. I hope that turns out to be the case and they get to spend the time in jail that a millon dollar heist deserves. It shouldn't matter if you agree with their opinion or not (think of the flip side here - abortion clinic bombers of an empty clinic) they are criminals and should be held to account.

The law doesn't seem like it would make any difference in this case. By flying in his families jet at his expense how would it be any different then "paying the full cost." How can you not pay the full cost when it is your plane? Now if he had being traveling by Magic Carpet (Which I assume is free to operate) then I would be upset.

I can certainly understand annoyance with lawyers. However, my question is, what has she done AT ALL that shows an achievement level above a minimal level? Certainly nothing in her education history suggests anything. Her educational history actually suggests an achievement level BELOW most college grads. And, I've already gone into the city council stuff. I won't rehash that. And, I have no idea what she did for that period between college and city council. It is apparently pretty pedestrian stuff.

Winning the election for governor suggests SOME level of achievement. But, does her experience running a state that has so much oil revenue that it cuts a $2,900 check ($1200 oil rebate, $1700 gas tax rebate) to every citizen give one ANY experience in running the US economy? In fact, she only ran Alaska during a period of extremely high oil prices. She never even ran the state during, say, the mid 80s, or the late 90s, when oil was around 10 bucks. Couldn't the argument be made that ANYONE could run the state when they are drowning in cash? And, why are they demanding that the US taxpayers pay for their bridge to nowhere when they are giving $2,900 back to every citizen?

with an over 80% approval rating from alaska's citizens, she is doing something that they approve. any office holder would crave to have that kind of rating. an argument could be made that anyone could run the state when they are drowning in cash, however an approval rate such as her's suggests she is doing something right as well.

with an over 80% approval rating from alaska's citizens, she is doing something that they approve. any office holder would crave to have that kind of rating. an argument could be made that anyone could run the state when they are drowning in cash, however an approval rate such as her's suggests she is doing something right as well.

Bush's approval ratings exceeded 80% for some time. And yet, today he is one of the most unpopular Presidents in history.

5_years_graph_2.gif

Here are some great quotes from the "Republican Convention Welcoming Committee" Group that you are defending

Source: Wall street Journal, Article "Republican Convention Sees Violent Demonstrations", Sept 4, 2008

"I think it really exposes that we live in a police state," said a woman who gave her name as Loaf Owls, her age as 20 years old, and said she was a professional clown. "Someone at the march said yesterday that anarchists are protectors of the people, and that pretty much sums up why I'm here."

"We'll protest the grass being green," shouted Robert Wilson, 45, who said he is homeless. "I love protesting. My favorite cologne is pepper spray."

They managed to seek out two oddballs among thousands of protestors. So what is your point?

Speaking your mind in public is one thing - like Joe Leiberman did at the convention at great personal cost - (and with internet forums like this it is pretty easy to do). Breaking into a private meeting for the media spotlight the organizers of the event attracted that you can't attract for yourself is something entirely different. If these individuals were not invited and trespassed, they should be charged with grand larceny for they effectively stole the cost of a 10 second prime time TV ad. I hope that turns out to be the case and they get to spend the time in jail that a millon dollar heist deserves. It shouldn't matter if you agree with their opinion or not (think of the flip side here - abortion clinic bombers of an empty clinic) they are criminals and should be held to account.

Grand larceny? Really? The trespassing I'll grant you, but are you really that against people expressing their first amendment rights?

And for Joe Lieberman, what was his great personal cost? He has backstabbed Obama and everyone in the Democratic party who've supported him over the years.

Wouldn't you be happy if your state's government was a national joke of corruption, and someone stepped in that was relatively honest (except with Troopergate) and increased your annual state oil rebate by $1200 after increasing taxes on oil companies (similar to Obama's windfall profits tax)?

Bloomberg News Report on Palin's Oil Co. Tax Increase and the Alaskan social welfare system

The tax increase backed by the Republican vice presidential nominee will, at current prices, raise oil revenue to $11 billion this year -- almost twice what the state needs to fund its government -- state documents show. Alaska also has gotten more money from the federal government than its residents pay in taxes -- $1.75 per tax dollar in 2006, the most recent year available, according to the Tax Foundation, a Washington research group.

talk about media bias backfire. LOL

Do any of you Lemmings from "The Darkside", care to refute Newt's answers or questions ? Can any of you name 3 things Obama has done that justify himself to be qualified for the President's desk ? You want to question Palin, and I agree, Palin has no business being in her spot, as I am just as sure that Obama is not worthy of his.

Do any of you Lemmings from "The Darkside", care to refute Newt's answers or questions ? Can any of you name 3 things Obama has done that justify himself to be qualified for the President's desk ? You want to question Palin, and I agree, Palin has no business being in her spot, as I am just as sure that Obama is not worthy of his.

Belief in a candidate doesn't make someone a lemming. I believe in Obama, I agree wholeheartedly with his platform. I did like some of the things McCain had to say the other night, and I think he's a good man. However, I don't trust him to surround himself with good, capable people. His choices so far support my concern. I also think his own values and plans will lose out to other elements of the Republican agenda, and I don't agree with most of that agenda.

All that to say, I'm not a lemming. And I bet most of the other Obama supporters are not lemmings, either.

So anyone that disagrees with your political views is a lemming? Here are a few.

- Civil Rights Lawyer

- 8 years in Illinois senate

- 3+ years as a U.S senator (including the sponsoring of 131 bills)

Of course, he also meets the requirements as set forth in Section 1 of Article 2 of the U.S. Constitution -- the only legal requirements:

- a natural born citizen of the united States

- at least 35 years old

- lived in the U.S. for at least 14 years

I thought this was rather tone-deaf by the DNC and/or the Obama campaign (and not surprising, frankly):

Republican Recycling

Even if you take one's opinion of the parties involved out of the question, it really seems like a stupid thing to do politically, to leave yourself so open to obvious attacks from your opponents like that.

See my previous posts for examples. Newt is full of it. Period.

Since it is an absolute impossibility for any sitting president to be an expert in all of the areas that a president is required to be competent in, it is imperative that the candidate for that office show the wisdom of surrounding himself or herself with competent people, and display the ability to listen to that advice and act upon it. While I realize that you do not read up on Obama, having already formed your opinion of him, if you HAD read up on him, you would know that he has economic teams, foreign policy teams, and other advisors who study the issues and advise him on policy. He further selected a VP who is himself a foreign policy expert.

By comparison, John McCain is notorious for not listening to others, part of his "maverick" reputation. He clearly did not select a VP that is an expert in anything, unless stirring fundamentalist Christian males in the loins counts as an expertise. I don't know where lone wolf status and intractability became positive character traits for presidents. Perhaps because the GOP keeps nominating them. But, a thoughtful and studious person who asks for opinions beats out a grumpy and stubborn one every time.

I thought this was rather tone-deaf by the DNC and/or the Obama campaign (and not surprising, frankly):

Republican Recycling

Even if you take one's opinion of the parties involved out of the question, it really seems like a stupid thing to do politically, to leave yourself so open to obvious attacks from your opponents like that.

That was silly. They should have handed the extras out to supporters. It's a lot like when restaurants throw out leftover food even when it's still good.

I believe they are aren't they?

Gary could probably answer this question. If a band plays a cover they have to pay royalties, don't they?

Technically yes, but it's impossible to monitor in the public arena, and most publishing companies don't care anyway. However, Churches they do care about and they must pay an annual lump sum to various publishing companies ASCAP/BMI etc, in order to have the unlimited use of a particular artists song.

Thanks, I thought about using the same one as yours, but I didn't want to get into his personal hygiene. How embarrassing for Obama to have to brush off his dandruff in front of all those koolaid drinkers.

Looks like McCain has gotten a hold of you:

1219657192874js3.gif

Looks like McCain has gotten a hold of you:

quote]

LOL! Trae, you are gonna cause someone to have an epileptic fit with that gif.. That is a nice photoshop.

Oh, and you are wrong, please read earlier posts.

'Cuda, get real, Obama has NOT spent 3 years in the senate, 143 total days, the rest of the time he has been campaigning.

How many "cases" did Obama prosecute or defend during his time as a "Civil Rights Lawyer" ? He's never practiced, oh, Red, Obama went to 3 schools. Is he considered HALF a flip-flopper ?

"Obama was reelected to the Illinois Senate in 1998, and again in 2002. In 2000, he lost a Democratic primary run for the U.S. House of Representatives to four-term incumbent Bobby Rush by a margin of two to one." This is what pushed him towards running for the Senate.

Only reason Obama got into the Senate was because the guy he was running against was a "sex freak" and had to withdraw from the race.

It's ok though, you can have Obama, I'm sure he'll do well in November, he might even win. I just want you guys to know what you are getting into. I swear I won't say, "I told you so." :D

WOw Trae, all that and still has an 80% approval rating. I don't like her for her personal choices in her life, but she must know how to run Alaska right, but that doesn't translate into running our whole country right. Especially when she once wanted ot secede from the union.

Found this wonderful article today:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...complished.html

Here is another, even better article, About Obama and the Iraq War. I am gonna wager that Obama's timelines would have never materialize.

"The Clinton camp has issued a memo criticizing Obama's work on national security issues at the beginning of this week's 5th anniversary of the Iraq War:

To: Interested Parties From: The Clinton Campaign Date: March 17, 2008 RE: Just Words for Five Years

Over the last few weeks, the question of who is most ready to be Commander-in-Chief has rightfully dominated the presidential campaign. Who is ready to take the 3am call? Who has a record of action on national security issues? Who is ready to be president on day one?

Senator Clinton has worked to answer these questions by presenting her record to voters and enabling them to judge her based on the record she has amassed during her 35 years of public service - as a first lady who traveled to 82 countries and as a U.S. Senator who sits on the Armed Services Committee.

Lacking a comparable record, Senator Obama has premised his campaign on just words, most notably the resounding speech he delivered in October 2002 against the Iraq war."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/17/c...os_n_91852.html

I'd consider reading your articles if they weren't all from the left. Post something that at least claims to be objective.

Yeah, like the Anchorage Daily News and the AP right? Did you even see the sources on each little paragraph?

WOw Trae, all that and still has an 80% approval rating. I don't like her for her personal choices in her life, but she must know how to run Alaska right, but that doesn't translate into running our whole country right. Especially when she once wanted ot secede from the union.

You know, I'd be better if a resident of Alaska said it:

Well my gal Palin just inspired me to donate $50 to the Obama-Biden campaign every week for the remainder of this election. I've never donated before, so this will be a first.

From an Alaskan perspective, Palin has gone to zombie mode. In 2006, Palin defeated incumbent governor (and former 20+ year U.S. senator) Frank Murkowski in his own primary. Since then the old guard of the Alaskan Republican Party has fallen apart. Ted Stevens indicted, Lyda Green stepping down, Don Young a dead man walking at this point, while a handful of Republicans from the old guard are now in prison due to the old guard cozying up for years with Veco and its customers. Remaining GOP members of the old guard in Juneau don't even like her as she has increased oil production taxes and has taken Exxon to task over not developing Point Thompson (she yanked away Exxon's lease that they had for about 30 years -- Exxon is currently taking it to court). Even Randy Reudrich, the head of the Alaska GOP has never been in speaking terms with Sarah Palin since she outed him on corruption back in 2004 on a committee. But since going national, it seems she's become a cross between Reagan and Pat Robertson. This bulldog image she's selling is complete bullshit.

As an Alaskan, I want Sarah Palin as my governor again -- not vice president.

All I looked at was the beginning and your link.

It's been a trend.

The first sources were from Alaska Business Monthly and the AP. The only thing the link did was compile the information, etc. It's not like they wrote the articles.

Most probably won't make it through this, but:

Palin:

ON FOREIGN POLICY

Palin Hasn't Given The War In Iraq Much Thought. Palin told the Alaska Business Monthly, "I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq. I heard on the news about the new deployments, and while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place." [Alaska Business Monthly, 3/1/07]

As a gov. she should be concentrating on her LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

Palin Has Never Been To Iraq. In her only trip overseas, Palin visited Alaska National Guard troops stationed in Kuwait and Germany in July 2007. [AP, 7/25/07]

To my knowledge, no Governors have been to Iraq. Again, she should be concentrating on running the government she is responsible for.

Palin Believes That The Iraq War Is A Task 'From God.' Speaking at the Wasilla Assembly of God church in June, Palin said that "our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [u.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God." [Huffington Post, 9/2/08]

That is taken a bit of out of context, and you know it.

Palin Believes The Iraq War Was Fought Over Oil. "We are a nation at war and in many [ways] the reasons for war are fights over energy sources," Palin told BusinessWeek in an interview. [businessWeek, 8/29/08]

Again,taken out of context. Try again.

Palin Didn't Have A Passport Until 2007. Palin first obtained a passport in July 2007 for her trip to Kuwait and Germany to visit Alaska National Guard troops. Her only other trip outside of the United States was to Canada. A Palin spokeswoman had previously said that Palin had also been to Ireland, although it was actually just a "refueling stop" on her Germany/Kuwait trip. [New York Times, 8/29/08; Politico, 9/2/08]

So? Most private citizens don't travel overseas. Again, what's your point?

ON EARMARKS

Palin Supported The Bridge To Nowhere. During her unveiling as McCain's running mate, Palin claimed that she said, "Thanks, but no thanks" to federal funding for the Bridge to Nowhere. But in her 2006 campaign for governor, Palin repeatedly expressed support for the bridge project, saying Alaska should take advantage of earmarks "while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist." [Anchorage Daily News, 10/22/06; Ketchikan Daily News, 8/9/06, 11/21/06]

Palin Obtained $27 Million In Earmarks As Mayor Of Wasilla. As mayor of Wasilla, AK, Palin "hired a private lobbyist to help the tiny town secure earmarks from [sen. Ted] Stevens." "The town obtained 14 earmarks, totaling $27 million between 2000-2003." [Associated Press, 9/3/08]

This part is true as far as I can tell, but as far as I know, both sides plays this game and has made cuts where needed otherwise. You know, like selling a state plane on Ebay?

ON THE ENVIRONMENT

Palin Denies Man-Made Global Warming. When asked for her "take on global warming," Palin replied, "A changing environment will affect Alaska more than any other state, because of our location. I'm not one though who would attribute it to being man-made." [Newsmax, 08/29/08]

I'm along the same lines as she is, I'm not convinced it is entirely man made. Look up "little ice age" a couple of centuries ago. Do you think our forefathers rode around in SUV's to warm up the planet?

Challenging 'Uncertain Climate Models,' Palin Is Suing To Lift Protected Status For Polar Bears. After a multi-year court battle, the Bush administration recognized in 2008 that polar bears are threatened with extinction by global warming. Announcing Alaska's suit to block the listing, Palin said, "We believe that the listing was unwarranted and that it's unprecedented to list a currently healthy population based on uncertain climate models." [Reuters, 5/22/08]

Polar bears are actually not being threatened. If anything,they are growing in numbers.

Palin Established Illegal Fly-By Wolf Hunting Bounty. In 2007, Palin illegally established "a $150 bounty to the state sanctioned airborne wolf hunters as an added incentive to increase their kills," soon overturned by the Alaska State Court. [Alaska Wildlife Alliance; Anchorage Daily News, 3/31/07]

Not sure about this, but this is only a snippet as to what her decision was. Perhaps you can provide WHY she ok'ed the bounty in the first place.

ON ENERGY

Palin Is A Top Arctic Wildlife Refuge Drilling Advocate. Palin said she thinks McCain is "going to evolve into, eventually, supporting ANWR opening also" and "I'd like the opportunity to get to change his mind about ANWR." [Kudlow & Co., 6/25/08]

Palin Opposes Lieberman's Bill To Prevent Arctic Refuge Drilling. In a letter to Congress opposing the Arctic Wilderness Act (S. 2316), Palin wrote that "as a citizen of the United States" she believes "development [of the Refuge] should be authorized." [Letter to Sen. Akaka, 11/9/07]

I'm with her on this one. The drilling footprint is next to nothing in the size of the refuge center.Perhaps if you want us to rely less on foreign oil, this is a good step in that direction.

Palin Dismisses Alternative Energy. Palin said that "Congress needs to lift the ban on drilling" because "alternative-energy solutions are far from imminent and would require more than 10 years to develop." [Charleston Post and Courier, 8/16/08]

So,you think we can come up with "alternative" energy in LESS then 5 years? 5-10 years for a technology to mature and become commercially viable is reasonable.

Palin Believes It Is 'God's Will' To Build A Natural Gas Pipeline. Speaking to the Wasilla Assembly of God church in June, Palin said, "I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," referring to a $30 billion national gas pipeline project. [Huffington Post, 9/2/08]

Okay. and your problem with that is?

ON BIG OIL

Palin's First Statewide Campaign Was Fueled By Veco. "While mayor of Wasilla, Palin ran for lieutenant governor in 2002. She gathered $5,000

That is taken a bit of out of context, and you know it.

No it isn't. She said it with her own mouth that it was/is "a task from God". How is it taken out of context? What did she really mean then?

Again,taken out of context. Try again.

Again, she said it with her own mouth.

So? Most private citizens don't travel overseas. Again, what's your point?

So, how does she have all of this "foreign policy" experience then? She hadn't even left America or gotten a passport until 2007. That's kind of sad. I had one when I was 3. Fox News even said she has foreign policy experience because "Alaska is close to Russia".

This part is true as far as I can tell, but as far as I know, both sides plays this game and has made cuts where needed otherwise. You know, like selling a state plane on Ebay?

She didn't really sell that private plane on Ebay.

I'm along the same lines as she is, I'm not convinced it is entirely man made. Look up "little ice age" a couple of centuries ago. Do you think our forefathers rode around in SUV's to warm up the planet?

It may not be entirely man-made, but no doubt that man has a part in it. Global warming is real.

So,you think we can come up with "alternative" energy in LESS then 5 years? 5-10 years for a technology to mature and become commercially viable is reasonable.

I think there should be off-shore drilling, but I also think you should be putting more into alternative energy. You can't do one and not the other, plus AE will help sooner. Off-shore drilling will take a minimum of 10-years for us to start feeling the effects.

Okay. and your problem with that is?

Who is she to say it's God's will?

From what I understand, the officer was threatening the lives of his wife's family (and Palin's) during his divorce. I know very little of the details, but from what I understand, it isn't a big deal.

The guy is an absolute scumbag, but Palin still abused her power. And it is a big deal. She recently hired an attorney. Attorney's usually delay cases don't they? Looks like this one will get delayed until after November 4th.

:)

No it isn't. She said it with her own mouth that it was/is "a task from God". How is it taken out of context? What did she really mean then?

So, how does she have all of this "foreign policy" experience then? She hadn't even left America or gotten a passport until 2007. That's kind of sad. I had one when I was 3. Fox News even said she has foreign policy experience because "Alaska is close to Russia".

It may not be entirely man-made, but no doubt that man has a part in it. Global warming is real.

I think there should be off-shore drilling, but I also think you should be putting more into alternative energy. You can't do one and not the other, plus AE will help sooner. Off-shore drilling will take a minimum of 10-years for us to start feeling the effects.

The guy is an absolute scumbag, but Palin still abused her power. And it is a big deal. She recently hired an attorney. Attorney's usually delay cases don't they? Looks like this one will get delayed until after November 4th.

Just because it is "out of her mouth" does not mean that it was taken into context. Remember the "one square" BS that come up when sheryl (too damned sexy) Crow mentioned that is what we should use for the bathroom? The media jumped all over it until a few clarified that it was her SON that made the statement.

Also, just because YOU had a passport at 3 only means that your parents are well traveled. I never needed a passport until my late 20's. The only reason why my daughter got a passport is because we saw what was coming and got it ahead of everyone else. again, you're reaching.

Oh, I'm sorry, it wasn't SOLD on ebay, but it was listed there, but didn't meet its price but was sold through a broker. My bad.

I never said Global warming was NOT real, but that man is responsible isn't convincing.

as far as alternative energy goes, you CAN do both,you need one while the other comes to fruition. Sorta' like getting a new job before you get another, isn't it? C'mon.

Who is to say what IS God's will? Quite a few people invoke it (much to MY distaste) of, "it's god will for this or that." whatever. I'm agnostic, so it doesn't matter to me, but I won't poo on someone else's belief.

Ab IS a scumbag, but that doesn't mean that blood splatter should be on his associates, doesn't it?

I also noticed you didn't argue some of my other points.

Don't confuse them with facts Trae, their minds are made up, lol.

Archived