2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Trae

Next United States President  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Other

Stupid GOP.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...race-barracuda/

How many cease and desist letters do you need before you figure out you're supposed to ask permission.

I was going to title this post, "Shor Down In Flames", until I realized that I did not have permission from AC/DC.

Come on Red, you try to make it sound as though they've filed suit on the GOP or something. They give up rights to who plays their music or where it's played publicly, when they publish it. Now broadcasting it in a commercial is a different story. They can't do that. This was played at a public venue, it was a legally purchased copy of the song, which by purchasing gives you a license to play it, I guess it could be argued as to whether or not it was used for capital gain, rather than entertainment, but just a publisher not being happy about it is far from any legal action.

From your link:

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We

hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

They can condemn it all they want, but I am not sure they have a legal leg to stand on. What do ye sayeth oh great barrister from the Tar Heal State? :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on Red, you try to make it sound as though they've filed suit on the GOP or something. They give up rights to who plays their music or where it's played publicly, when they publish it. Now broadcasting it in a commercial is a different story. They can't do that. This was played at a public venue, it was a legally purchased copy of the song, which by purchasing gives you a license to play it, I guess it could be argued as to whether or not it was used for capital gain, rather than entertainment, but just a publisher not being happy about it is far from any legal action.

From your link:

hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

They can condemn it all they want, but I am not sure they have a legal leg to stand on. What do ye sayeth oh great barrister from the Tar Heal State? :lol::lol::lol:

Judge for yourself.

Copyright law

If this were the first time a group of LAWMAKERS did not understand the laws they wrote, I'd give them a mulligan, like, for instance, when the McCain campaign played John Mellencamp's music (ironic, considering that Mr. Cougar is an ardent Democrat, and the songs urged help for the poor and the common man), but this is a continuing faux pas on the part of the McCain campaign. Perhaps McCain should just stick with Lee Greenwood melodies.

Note: It is impossible to know if Senator McCain voted for the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which passed in 1998, but as a lawmaker, he should.

2nd Note: I applaud Heart's demand that McCain not use the song, not because I am a fan, but because I despise that song.

OK, now that I'm awake again after his speech:Demographics!

I watched the live feed and I counted:

2 Asian people (a couple)

7 black people

1 white male protester with sign (vets against the war)

1 white female protester being removed

3 hispanic young women with tears in their eyes

Mitt Romney

Other assorted white ladies, some swaying to the tunes

Other assorted white men, not swaying

A number of teenagers who looked like they were trying very hard to stay awake

What did everyone else see?

The official number of black people... 36 out of ~2000. What I heard on CNN this morning. Lowest in 40 years? ...

From your link:

First, when I faintly heard the song in the background... I was like: "Are they playing.... Yep. They are." ... and then as I surveyed the crowd... "This just doesn't fit this crowd. It's way past their bed time, anyway."

...and also... they would be fools to keep playing this song after the artists have requested to cease that their work be further defiled (regardless of the legal issues.)

Judge for yourself.

Copyright law

If this were the first time a group of LAWMAKERS did not understand the laws they wrote, I'd give them a mulligan, like, for instance, when the McCain campaign played John Mellencamp's music (ironic, considering that Mr. Cougar is an ardent Democrat, and the songs urged help for the poor and the common man), but this is a continuing faux pas on the part of the McCain campaign. Perhaps McCain should just stick with Lee Greenwood melodies.

Note: It is impossible to know if Senator McCain voted for the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which passed in 1998, but as a lawmaker, he should.

2nd Note: I applaud Heart's demand that McCain not use the song, not because I am a fan, but because I despise that song.

Yeppers - the voice vote on the CTEA was nice. Of course Fred Thompson was a co-sponsor for Orrin Hatch

"i be protesting, yo"

n37500534_35396240_3709.jpg

Seems as if the Repubs only like service men and women IF they agree with their policies.

How dare this man speak his mind. How dare he fault McCain for tabling an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322 million for safety equipment for US forces in Iraq (Oct. 2003). How dare he fault McCain for being 1 of 13 senators to vote AGAINST $430 million for medical services for the V.A. (April 2006). How dare he fault McCain for voting against an amendment to give the V.A. a paultry $20 million for expanded health care facilities (May 2006). How dare he fault McCain for voting against the Webb Amendment calling for adequate troop rest between deployments (Sept 2007). How dare he fauly McCain for MISSING 10 of 14 votes regarding military service and VA affairs in 2007.

Hilarious that the people on the floor chanted "U-S-A" at the former SOLDIER in St. Paul. I bet 80% of them have their yellow ribbon magnets on their SUVs but here they were not letting a soldier protest.

Oh, and here's a thought. The Republicans are trying to sell themselves as the party that keeps us safe and yet they can't even patrol their own convention hall? If they can't keep people out of ONE arena, then how in the world are they going to protect our borders? :)

That enormous on AM 740, Joe "Pags."

You strike me as someone dense enough to listen to his or Rush's or Hannity's show to get your nonsensical talking points.

There you go again stereotyping people you don't even know. I don't listen to 740, I don't like Rush, and I don't like Hannity.

It seems like you've been listening however, seeing as how you know that this Pags guy is saying such.

Seems as if the Repubs only like service men and women IF they agree with their policies.

How dare this man speak his mind. How dare he fault McCain for tabling an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322 million for safety equipment for US forces in Iraq (Oct. 2003). How dare he fault McCain for being 1 of 13 senators to vote AGAINST $430 million for medical services for the V.A. (April 2006). How dare he fault McCain for voting against an amendment to give the V.A. a paultry $20 million for expanded health care facilities (May 2006). How dare he fault McCain for voting against the Webb Amendment calling for adequate troop rest between deployments (Sept 2007). How dare he fauly McCain for MISSING 10 of 14 votes regarding military service and VA affairs in 2007.

Hilarious that the people on the floor chanted "U-S-A" at the former SOLDIER in St. Paul. I bet 80% of them have their yellow ribbon magnets on their SUVs but here they were not letting a soldier protest.

Oh, and here's a thought. The Republicans are trying to sell themselves as the party that keeps us safe and yet they can't even patrol their own convention hall? If they can't keep people out of ONE arena, then how in the world are they going to protect our borders? :)

Good post. Hard to argue.

they would be fools to keep playing this song after the artists have requested to cease that their work be further defiled (regardless of the legal issues.)

Now, this one just happens to land on the right side of the fence - but even if it were all the way on the other side (and you'll just have to believe me on this one) I still wouldn't have a problem with it. Nothing annoys me more than these Prima donna artists that, after selling their music to the public, want to try and have a say when and where it can be played, and who is allowed to listen to it.

Its akin to an artist selling his work to a Gallery that sells paintings, then loitering at the front door trying to tell the curator who they can sell his work to.

I remember his voting against one of those packages, and said that there was way too much waste in that particularly bill and there was some rider attached to that bill that he couldn't agree with.

To show how nasty it could be, Pres. Clinton put in a bill for OKC bombing victims. The Republicans put in a rider giving free ammunition for some NRA sponsored club or another. They were practically DARING Clinton to not signing it, to make him look like a bad guy. Its done by both sides and one of those bills was the victim of it.

Actually, those very selectively given out to specific people, so the tickets can be tracked back to whom they were given to. You just can't walk into the DNC or RNC without a ticket, someone had to give them one. I'm sure the investigation meetings will be quite exciting.

another thing, I tried listening to talk radio and BOTH sides are, quite frankly whores who will agree with whatever party line they tow. The biggest one is Rush. He stated after the Republican loss that he was GLAD he didn't have to carry some of the Rep.s anymore. That shows that he's a party man till the end.

Hannity isn't much better, but he takes himself way to seriously for my taste.

Pags, I don't know a thing about him except that he is from S.A. and occasionally subs for Glenn Beck on the radio and TV show.

Beck was, at one time, a hard core Republican. He saw the errors of his ways and declared himself a (Libertarian leaning) independent conservative and regularly rips into Bush and the Republicans as easily as he does the Democrats. Not to mention he doesn't take himself seriously and is open about his drug and alcohol abuse. That makes him awesome in my book.

Wait, you know Obama is lying and you know McCain is telling the truth? What secret channel do you use for this information? Oh wait, it's Fox News, right?

Can you quote me where I said McCain was the truth teller, or anywhere on this forum where I said that I support McCain ?

This post by crunch on Wednesday night amused me...

However, little did we know, crunch was foretelling the future...

Obama raises $10 million after Palin speech.

The GOP by contrast, raised $1 million.

The GOP predicted that Palin would energize the base. None of us knew the base she would energize would be the Dems.

The $10 million is obviously for the toilet paper the Dems. are having to buy for the thousands in their party, so scared, that they have pooped in their pants over this new string of events that have derailed the Obama Express. Happy wiping gang. :lol:

So you're not going to vote?

I'm not gonna vote for Barry Hussein.

Can you quote me where I said McCain was the truth teller, or anywhere on this forum where I said that I support McCain ?

No, but you implied it with your post:

No, it's a gross distortion of the lie Obama is telling you now, in order to try and get into office. The real irony here is that Red's observation speaks volumes of what is gonna come if Obama is elected.

If you think McCain is lying as well, why do you single Obama out in this quote? If you don't think McCain is lying, why not? And why do you think Obama is lying?

Write in candidate? Third party?

Just a prediction on Palin. Crash and burn before the VP debates.

Most likely. 20th.

Meme, I bag on Obama, because of his non-existent credentials, and shear proven lack of the ability to tell the truth, I.E. " I have been a member of this church for 20 years, and have NEVER heard Rev. Wright say anything closely relating to this.". Meme, if you owned the Texans, would you let the guy that leads "The Wave" in the stands take over Gary Kubiak's head coaching position as well ?

Also, McCain has been in Washington 26 years, and has come from stock that has proven to know what it takes to be a leader of men and women alike. I don't like Palin, so that puts me off there.

Most likely. 20th.

Meme, I bag on Obama, because of his non-existent credentials, and shear proven lack of the ability to tell the truth, I.E. " I have been a member of this church for 20 years, and have NEVER heard Rev. Wright say anything closely relating to this.". Meme, if you owned the Texans, would you let the guy that leads "The Wave" in the stands take over Gary Kubiak's head coaching position as well ?

And you have proof that Obama did hear something relating to the Rev. Wright speech you refer to? Or are you just making a wild guess that he's lying?

By "bag", you mean you're just making stuff up, right? Kind of like lying, isn't it?

And you have proof that Obama did hear something relating to the Rev. Wright speech you refer to? Or are you just making a wild guess that he's lying?

Hold on, Hold on.

Now you have to remember that Wright's controversial comments have gone back several years, including the one delivered the day AFTER 9/11

I heard Ambassador Peck on an interview yesterday. Did anybody else see him or hear him? He was on Fox News. This is a white man, and he was upsetting the Fox News commentators to no end. He pointed out

What is the use in talking to two brainwashed koolaid drinkers like yourselves ?

Even when Obama has claimed that Rev. Wright has been his "Spiritual Advisor" for quite sometime. Meme I know you don't believe in God, so I wouldn't expect you to have clue as to what a "Spiritual Advisor" does for those indivduals seeking higher office. "Spiritual Advisors" have closed quarter meetings to discuss in which direction they should go with certain things and judging by what the Rev. says on the pulpit, it would lead to reason, that Rev. Wright wouldn't hold back in a private conversation. Even when the good Reverend himself says something to the affect, "Obama is just doing what he is supposed to do, he is doing his politician thing. He has to distance himself from me." I even take the word of a racist reverend over Obama. If you are foolish enough to believe that Obama has NEVER heard or taught anything considered to be unbecomming of a President, then you and 'Cuda are more naive than I already think you are. Of course, I am not saying that Rev. Wright taught Obama how to be a racist. Obama had already figured that out in his youth.

What did I make up meme, Obama is gonna raise taxes, right ? Oh, I see what you are saying, I will amend my statement to say that is MY speculation, of what is to come, judging by Obama's forefathers in the matters of what Dem. Presidents do once they get into office. Weren't you and some others praying, oops, bad choice of words for you meme.....sorry, BEGGING for the good ol' days of Clinton, you might get your wish, but Clinton didn't balance the budget by NOT raising taxes on you and me. So, I am not making stuff up, I have only history to go by. You gonna promise me that obama isn't gonna raise taxes, I will beleive you, but if you are wrong, we will have to play the age old game of RAMSHAMBO ! And, I get to go first. :D

What is the use in talking to two brainwashed koolaid drinkers like yourselves ?

Even when Obama has claimed that Rev. Wright has been his "Spiritual Advisor" for quite sometime. Meme I know you don't believe in God, so I wouldn't expect you to have clue as to what a "Spiritual Advisor" does for those indivduals seeking higher office. "Spiritual Advisors" have closed quarter meetings to discuss in which direction they should go with certain things and judging by what the Rev. says on the pulpit, it would lead to reason, that Rev. Wright wouldn't hold back in a private conversation. Even when the good Reverend himself says something to the affect, "Obama is just doing what he is supposed to do, he is doing his politician thing. He has to distance himself from me." I even take the word of a racist reverend over Obama. If you are foolish enough to believe that Obama has NEVER heard or taught anything considered to be unbecomming of a President, then you and 'Cuda are more naive than I already think you are. Of course, I am not saying that Rev. Wright taught Obama how to be a racist. Obama had already figured that out in his youth.

What did I make up meme, Obama is gonna raise taxes, right ? Oh, I see what you are saying, I will amend my statement to say that is MY speculation, of what is to come, judging by Obama's forefathers in the matters of what Dem. Presidents do once they get into office. Weren't you and some others praying, oops, bad choice of words for you meme.....sorry, BEGGING for the good ol' days of Clinton, you might get your wish, but Clinton didn't balance the budget by NOT raising taxes on you and me. So, I am not making stuff up, I have only history to go by. You gonna promise me that obama isn't gonna raise taxes, I will beleive you, but if you are wrong, we will have to play the age old game of RAMSHAMBO ! And, I get to go first. :D

Ah, that's all clear now. Your logic is impeccable.

Nothing annoys me more than these Prima donna artists that, after selling their music to the public, want to try and have a say when and where it can be played, and who is allowed to listen to it.

Its akin to an artist selling his work to a Gallery that sells paintings, then loitering at the front door trying to tell the curator who they can sell his work to.

Public performance (including playback) of copyrighted music is covered under copyright protection. Music is intellectual property, owned by publishers with royalties collected by ASCAP or other organizations and paid to their respective labels/artists.

Did the publisher grant license to the RNC for playback? If so, then no harm and you would be justified in name calling.

I know alot of people think it's ok to rip off artists, but the fact is, it is theft like any other petty crime. The analogy you use illustrates your own misunderstanding of the law at best and at it's worst that artist's do not own their own creations.

Would you say it's ok for China to steal closed kernel architecture from Intel?

Public performance (including playback) of copyrighted music is covered under copyright protection. Music is intellectual property, owned by publishers with royalties collected by ASCAP or other organizations and paid to their respective labels/artists.

Did the publisher grant license to the RNC for playback? If so, then no harm and you would be justified in name calling.

I know alot of people think it's ok to rip off artists, but the fact is, it is theft like any other petty crime. The analogy you use illustrates your own misunderstanding of the law at best and at it's worst that artist's do not own their own creations.

Would you say it's ok for China to steal closed kernel architecture from Intel?

Jim, wasn't this function a private event ? If you have a party at your house, and you play some Journey, are you gonna ask everyone there to ante up to pay Steve Perry. The difference here is that it was televised, and an artist heard their song, again, this was a private event, not something you could go buy a pass at ticketmaster for. If I told Steve Perry that you played Journey at your party, should he be entitled to collect. When you hear music playing at a club, should the artist be paid everytime the DJ spins the record for your enjoyment ?

Jim, wasn't this function a private event ? If you have a party at your house, and you play some Jouney, are you gonna ask everyone there to ante up to pay Steve Perry. The difference here is that it was televised, and an artist heard their song, again, this was a private event, not something you could go buy a pass at ticketmaster for. If I told Steve Perry that you played Journey at your party, should he be entitled to collect. When you hear music playing at a club, should the artist be paid everytime the DJ spins the record for your enjoyment ?

Do your private parties get broadcast across every media outlet in the country?

Huh?

Sorry, but that doesn't really explain your comment about Obama's "shear proven lack of the ability to tell the truth". That's a pretty bold claim.

I'm looking for specifics. Just because you don't believe or agree with someone doesn't mean the person is lying.

When you hear music playing at a club, should the artist be paid everytime the DJ spins the record for your enjoyment ?

I believe they are aren't they?

Gary could probably answer this question. If a band plays a cover they have to pay royalties, don't they?

I believe they are aren't they?

Gary could probably answer this question. If a band plays a cover they have to pay royalties, don't they?

That's the way it's supposed to work. If you hear a song performed or played anywhere outside of a religious service or school, ASCAP or BMI are supposed to get paid.

Archived