2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Trae

Next United States President  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Other

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fred Thompson:

Now, our opponents tell us not to worry about their tax increases. They tell you they're not going to tax your family. No, they're just going to tax "businesses." So, unless you buy something from a business, like groceries or clothes or gasoline or unless you get a paycheck from a business, a big business or a small business, don't worry, it's not going to affect you! They say they're not going to take any water out of your side of the bucket, just the other side of the bucket! That's their idea of tax reform.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na...63.story?page=4

comments?

Wow. Media liberal bias at it's finest. Could you imagine in a hundred years her going that hard after an Obama spokesperson? What a joke.

Trae, it's fine to support Obama and all, but even I try and see through the bias Fox news, Rush or Hannity feeds me sometimes.

That's NOT liberal bias. That is a reporter doing her job.

Quite frankly, it is REFRESHING to see a journalist ask TOUGH questions and then not letting the responder off the hook.

That's NOT liberal bias. That is a reporter doing her job.

Quite frankly, it is REFRESHING to see a journalist ask TOUGH questions and then not letting the responder off the hook.

Maybe you didn't continue reading after that post. I'm not against hardball questions and not letting them off the hook. But they need to do it to Obama reps as well...and they won't. That's not good not a reporter doing her job.

People don't sweat Cambell Brown. There was a reason she was passed over at NBC Today. SHe left there bitter and feels like she has something to prove. The days of Walter Cronkite are gone. The main stream media is not much more than a tabloid rag anymore.

Actually, the interviewers only give a hard time to their opponents. Hannity and the likes give a hard time to dems/liberals and the rest of the media is hard on rep/conservatives. It's a shame though because then the viewer may not get the entire picture. Everyone spends too much time babying their own side. I think part of the reason is they don't want to exploit any of their faults. If everyone just admitted they make mistakes this problem wouldn't be so prominent. But no, we've all gotta act like we're perfect and never make mistakes or else we won't get elected. Gotta spin everything.

Actually, the interviewers only give a hard time to their opponents. Hannity and the likes give a hard time to dems/liberals and the rest of the media is hard on rep/conservatives. It's a shame though because then the viewer may not get the entire picture. Everyone spends too much time babying their own side. I think part of the reason is they don't want to exploit any of their faults. If everyone just admitted they make mistakes this problem wouldn't be so prominent. But no, we've all gotta act like we're perfect and never make mistakes or else we won't get elected. Gotta spin everything.

I don't think it's fair to say that the rest of the media is hard on rep/conservatives. Most of the MSM laid on their backs for the first six years of the Bush Administration, including the run-up to the invasion of Iraq. I think the MSM does generally follow trends in terms of politics and popularity, but they seem to fear nothing more than being called liberal.

She sounds like an airhead. I can't believe she asked the audience to pray for a gas pipeline.

If you think about in the context of her beliefs, it's not so unbelievable. She believes in a God that is sovereign and that cares about her needs. The pipeline could provide that for Alaskans.

Don't forget that Obama is a Christian too.

If you think about in the context of her beliefs, it's not so unbelievable. She believes in a God that is sovereign and that cares about her needs. The pipeline could provide that for Alaskans.

And it's those beliefs that are so frightening. She thinks YHVH wants what she wants and people who don't want what she wants aren't in tune with YHVH.

OK.

Well, let's see. Ex-beauty queen, and sports reporter, which is just one step up from a weathergirl. I'll say airhead with you.

Wow, yall are being pretty shallow.

OK.

Thank goodness he doesn't believe the Bible, the book of Christians. Or maybe he does, but he just cherry picks which verses he likes.

Wow, yall are being pretty shallow.

Thank goodness he doesn't believe the Bible, the book of Christians. Or maybe he does, but he just cherry picks which verses he likes.

More like concerned. As in, concerned if an airhead fundamentalist Christian were ever to take over as President.

The Bible says God needs gas? That must be in the book of Exxonodus.

You've accomplished proving that you're just as good at taking things out of context on purpose as the rest of your party. Congratulations.

More like concerned. As in, concerned if an airhead fundamentalist Christian were ever to take over as President.

I was referring to your comments about her being a sports journalist and beauty queen. Anyway...

You've accomplished proving that you're just as good at taking things out of context on purpose as the rest of your party. Congratulations.

My party? Are you assuming I'm a Democrat? Bzzzz. Try again.

It sounded like you were saying that Obama was different from Palin because he doesn't believe the Bible, or he cherry picks the verses he likes. That in turn implies that Palin's belief that YHVH wants a gas pipeline build in Alaska comes from her belief in the Bible. What did you really mean by all of that?

My party? Are you assuming I'm a Democrat? Bzzzz. Try again.

It sounded like you were saying that Obama was different from Palin because he doesn't believe the Bible, or he cherry picks the verses he likes. That in turn implies that Palin's belief that YHVH wants a gas pipeline build in Alaska comes from her belief in the Bible. What did you really mean by all of that?

It seems that she at least tries to walk the walk while he just says he's a Christian (He even puts them down). That's all. I'm not sure why he claims to be one at all. I guess he's like most other church goers in this country.

I'm not making her out to be some kind of perfect follower and that he's totally immoral either. But there is a difference between the two it seems.

I can't believe it is 2008 and Palin is what the RNC thinks the party needs to energize the base.

What happened to the Country Club Republicans? Have they just given over their party to complete nutjobs?

Yes, I said it. This woman is a nutjob. Maybe if she had prayed harder, she would have won the Miss Alaska pagaent...

link

Sad.

This op-ed is a good lesson in spin. The writer points out that roughly half of Americans own equities. The line of thought: that earnings from equity are subject to capital gains taxes and Obama will raise capital gains taxes and that's bad for the Average Joe.

It's also misleading. Most middle class Americans own equities in the form of stock mutual funds inside a qualified retirement plan. Capital gains taxes are only paid on realized gain. There is no realized gain if you keep your retirement plan until retirement, because it is protected by tax code. Capital gains taxes are in fact a means to promote buy-and-hold savings, which is a good thing for the average middle class person. Typically the only time most average income people are subject to capital gains tax is when they sell a home. And for the not-wealthy in the habit of churning stocks and constantly getting nailed with short term capital gains taxes, they can consider it a stupidity tax, because one shouldn't depend on assets like stocks for liqidity.

But here's the rub, the reason raising capital gains taxes is considered so evil, is because of the lobbying efforts of the mighty investment houses and financial institutions, who don't want the government putting more deterrents or restriction on the buying and selling of stock. The more stock people buy and sell, the more money investment houses make in transaction fees. Keeping the capital gains tax low is about keeping the banks awash in profits from just being a middle man, and if you pay attention to wall street bonuses and stock buy backs, you'll find it hard to believe in 'trickle down.' when it comes to anything touched the grubby lobbying hands of Big Finance.

And this is why I loathe Joe Biden: Mr. 'I love the little guy' voted for the bankruptcy 'reform' bill that was nothing more than a very large handout to the banks.

It seems that she at least tries to walk the walk while he just says he's a Christian (He even puts them down). That's all. I'm not sure why he claims to be one at all. I guess he's like most other church goers in this country.

I'm not making her out to be some kind of perfect follower and that he's totally immoral either. But there is a difference between the two it seems.

Quite frankly, your schtick is getting old.

Who died and put you in charge of deciding who is the best Christian?

What happened to the Country Club Republicans? Have they just given over their party to complete nutjobs?

Yes, I said it. This woman is a nutjob. Maybe if she had prayed harder, she would have won the Miss Alaska pagaent...

Just getting this straight that's all, because you left out your reason. She's a nutjob b/c of the pipeline prayer? Any other reasons? Just wondering.

Just getting this straight that's all, because you left out your reason. She's a nutjob b/c of the pipeline prayer? Any other reasons? Just wondering.

She appears to insert God into public policy any chance she gets. She wants creationism to be taught alongside evolution in public schools, she is opposed to equal rights for gays, and she is completely against abortion, even in severe cases.

I disagree with her on all these issues, although I suppose only the creationism issue and the pipeline prayer makes her a nut-job.

Quite frankly, your schtick is getting old.

Who died and put you in charge of deciding who is the best Christian?

He's the one who put people down for clinging to their bibles, isn't he?

She appears to insert God into public policy any chance she gets. She wants creationism to be taught alongside evolution in public schools, she is opposed to equal rights for gays, and she is completely against abortion, even in severe cases.

I disagree with her on all these issues, although I suppose only the creationism issue and the pipeline prayer makes her a nut-job.

Which are all good reasons for calling someone an airhead. Is that what I should start calling anyone who opposes my views?

You don't have to be a Christian to believe in God.

Isn't Fred Thompson a celebrity? That's funny, I thought the McCain camp attacked Obama for being a celebrity, and now they have a celebrity speaking at the RNC.

Which are all good reasons for calling someone an airhead. Is that what I should start calling anyone who opposes my views?

You didn't read my last sentence in post 1136.

Eh? Wha? Are you really saying that good Christians believe YHVH wants a gas pipeline built in Alaska??

Archived