2008 Bellaire New Home Showcase

flipper

We went and checked out the 6 houses on Sunday.

Just curious what everyone thought if they went.

Insert typical Mcmansion/conspicuous consumption comment here.

But seriously, if you just want to flame the concept of big, pseudo mediteranean houses designed by draftsmen, start your own thread.

flipper

We went and checked out the 6 houses on Sunday.

Just curious what everyone thought if they went.

Insert typical Mcmansion/conspicuous consumption comment here.

But seriously, if you just want to flame the concept of big, pseudo mediteranean houses designed by draftsmen, start your own thread.

flipper

Hi Flippper.... Can you start and tell us what you thought? My wife asked me twice over the weekend if I wanted to go. We didn't make it, but will go next weekend if you have a favorable review. Thanks!

We didn't make it, but will go next weekend if you have a favorable review. Thanks!

While none of the houses (save for a few details) were really "my" taste, I really enjoy looking at new construction to get ideas for our remodels.

Even if you think it's all "over the top" for the most part, finding cool examples of good craftsmanship is enjoyable. Atleast for me.

Bottom line, if you are looking for ideas or if you enjoy looking at model homes it's worth the $10.

flipper

I went to this 2 or 3 years ago. These houses are not my taste at all, but I was still curious. We were amazed at how much sloppy stuff was visible on these very expensive homes. I'm talking small stuff, for sure, but things like ridiculously cheap hinges, patchy finishes, baseboards that didn't even line up correctly & had gaps, and so on. Made me wonder about the stuff we couldn't see. I'm not a builder by any stretch, but you'd think they'd polish it up when they're showing off homes that sell near or over a million dollars. Was it better this time around?

They sure do love their turrets.

I'm talking small stuff, for sure, but things like ridiculously cheap hinges, patchy finishes, baseboards that didn't even line up correctly & had gaps, and so on.

This is exactly the reason we try to be so picky in our houses. People really do find and focus on the tiniest of imperfections. Not only that, but it can become the only thing they remember about the house.

As far as the showcase houses... Any time there is an absolute deadline on a project (like an open house you can't stop) there are going to be things rushed at the end that don't end up perfect. I think the builders end up doing several rounds of punch stuff after the show to correct the things that were done in a hurry.

flipper