Houston windmills

mandatory for wind turbines on top of all new high rises?

I drove by DG on Saturday night and looked like they already had some wind energy event. There was a huge fan on a truck out front Americas Street and part of the area was fenced off. Is this just a follow up to it?

I wonder if Vestas will soon announce they are the first to sign on as tenants at the Discovery Tower?

Would seem to make sense to be in a new tower that has wind turbines on top.

This is really great news for Houston. Landing a major European firm dealing with wind turbines to set up shop here is excellent. Just goes to show that alternative energy can also lead to economic growth.

That is great news to see Vestas pick Houston for a research center! With any luck we can develop a hub of expertise here similar to the oil and gas industry. Vestas is one of the biggest wind turbine manufacturers although they have lost some market share.

Just goes to show that alternative energy can also lead to economic growth.

It sure can, when it's profitable. And I think the operative word is "can." One does not lead to another.

I suppose that if he had used the more encompassing term, "energy", you might have agreed.

I've seen plenty of dumb money-losing traditional energy schemes, too.

If something is a good idea, it's a good idea, regardless if the emotional sentiments surrounding it.

It sure can, when it's profitable. And I think the operative word is "can." One does not lead to another.

In this case Vestas has managed to grow its profits enormously in the past few years (Waddya know - I happen to have their financial statements at hand!). That said, the wind sector as a whole remains somewhat speculative imo, although the short-term potential is huge. Ultimately the turbine manufacturing process will be driven to cheaper markets, so I'm glad to see that they are focusing on the R&D side. And I'm glad to see they are doing it in Houston.

Archived