The MacGregor: Multifamily At 2380 S. MacGregor Way

Baker_Intern

I'm inquiring on the behalf of an incoming professor about the quality and safety of the following places:

Alexan Main Street

8333 Braesmain, Houston, TX 77025

Sawyer Heights Lofts

2424 Sawyer Heights St, Houston, TX 77007

The MacGregor

2380 S MacGregor Way, Houston, TX 77021

Any information about these places would be very much appreciated. And if I need to provide any more details, please post to let me know.

I'm inquiring on the behalf of an incoming professor about the quality and safety of the following places:

Alexan Main Street

8333 Braesmain, Houston, TX 77025

Sawyer Heights Lofts

2424 Sawyer Heights St, Houston, TX 77007

The MacGregor

2380 S MacGregor Way, Houston, TX 77021

Any information about these places would be very much appreciated. And if I need to provide any more details, please post to let me know.

The MacGregor was built in 2003 or 2004; it is the oldest of the three and is also the least expensive. It is across a freeway from a transitioning neighborhood, so crime may be a little bit of a problem, but I'd suspect that it would typically be more auto-related than anything else. I don't think he'd have to worry about crime from within this or either of the other communities at all. Price points are high enough that the riff raff is pretty much eliminated.

Alexan Main Street is probably the most convenient of the three to Rice (which I presume is the university that he's visiting). It was completed in 2006, I think, and is in between the other two with respect to pricing. The neighborhood is pretty good; there's nothing that really stands out about it one way or the other.

Sawyer Heights Lofts is probably the least convenient of the three and the most expensive. It is also the nicest, in my opinion. In is in between a freeway and a Target parking lot, so there is a little more noise, and if auto infrastructure offends his senses, it may not be the best fit. But a unit facing an interior courtyard probably would mitigate that. Of the three, I'd think that this one is probably the safest. It is new enough that it is in the last stages of leasing up, so there's still a bit of excess vacancy.

If you don't mind my asking, what were the criteria that are being used to pick apartment complexes? Aside from that they're all fairly new, there doesn't seem to be a very strong pattern.

Yes, you are correct that the professor will be visiting Rice, and also I believe you are correct in that he is looking for primarily new apartments. He's from outside the US so he basically went online and visited several websites in order to whittle down his choices.

Have you heard about the quality of the interiors of the apartments? And also are the amenities offered at each ample in terms of number and again quality?

Yes, you are correct that the professor will be visiting Rice, and also I believe you are correct in that he is looking for primarily new apartments. He's from outside the US so he basically went online and visited several websites in order to whittle down his choices.

Have you heard about the quality of the interiors of the apartments? And also are the amenities offered at each ample in terms of number and again quality?

Quality, amenities and newness are all directly correlated to rents per square foot.

I would just suggest that if he budget is more of a concern, then Alexan will probably be a good fit, and that if it is less of a concern, then he might consider trying to lease a condo at 7575 Kirby or Sorrento. The Esplanade at Hermann Park is probably good middle ground between those two options.

And if he's at all interested in a hard loft look with open floor plans, high ceilings, and exposed brick walls, try Lofts at Hermann Park, which is near The MacGregor.

I don't know that Sawyer Heights is all that safe and secure. It's in a "transitional" neighborhood, it's basically in the middle of a huge parking lot with all sorts of traffic, and it's right next to an I-10 on-ramp. I've noticed quite a few broken windows in the past few months. That may change as the place fills up, but I don't think I'd choose to live there.

Plus, you pretty much have to drive to get anywhere other than Target, the mattress store, or Chili's. If this visiting prof is from Europe that's going to freak him right out.

I would recommend something in Midtown or the Museum District, with at least some stuff within walking distance.

I don't know that Sawyer Heights is all that safe and secure. It's in a "transitional" neighborhood, it's basically in the middle of a huge parking lot with all sorts of traffic, and it's right next to an I-10 on-ramp. I've noticed quite a few broken windows in the past few months. That may change as the place fills up, but I don't think I'd choose to live there.

Plus, you pretty much have to drive to get anywhere other than Target, the mattress store, or Chili's. If this visiting prof is from Europe that's going to freak him right out.

I would recommend something in Midtown or the Museum District, with at least some stuff within walking distance.

Midtown and the Museum District do still have crime issues, though, and considerably more than something as isolated by expansive parking lots and a freeway will ever have to face.

Still, I have to agree that the visual effect is rather harsh. And being European or not doesn't have anything to do with it. As for walkability, Alexan would be the way to go. Super Target across the street, other retailers also around there, probably a bus line that'll get him to the Red Line, and its safer.

The only reason I mentioned the European aspect is that 4 co-workers of mine who orginated there are appalled by the sprawl of Houston. Since it wasn't an isolated reaction (they ALL were astonished when they moved here) I thought it was worth bringing up.

I have a (probably unjustified) hate for Sawyer Heights. It just looks cheap and uninviting to me. There is a bus line (66) that serves it, however.

I have a (probably unjustified) hate for Sawyer Heights. It just looks cheap and uninviting to me.

Probably only because of its akward siting, standing alone in a sea of concrete. If it were in Midtown or on Washington Avenue, I'll bet you'd love it.

Maybe, but I still think it looks cheap. The parking garage sticking out of the middle, the "faux loft" look with the metal rails in front of some windows and not others (what, did they run out of money to treat all the windows the same way?). I haven't been inside, but from what I've seen from the parking lot the trim and cabinets look crappy too.

Plus the stupid thing has ruined the view of the skyline from the White Oak Bayou trail. <_< (I know, something was bound to do that sooner or later....)

• The title was changed to The MacGregor: Multifamily At 2380 S. MacGregor Way

Archived