Is Dallas A Beautiful City?

Is Dallas beautiful?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is Dallas beautiful?

• YES
    • HELL NO
    • KIND OF
    • DON'T CARE

Unfortunately i visited Dallas this past weekend for a funeral. we stayed at the Marriott suites hotel in the Market Center area. During my stay, i noticed that Dallas isn't as beautiful as some people say it is. they have as much of a litter problem as Houston does and in my opinion, a more of a graffiti problem. I thought that I35 reminded me of I10 on the east side and I45 north. The road was bad and needed much need of fixing.We also visited the suburbs of Duncanville, Desoto, Grand Prairie, and garland.... all of which were not very pretty.on our way to check in at the hotel, we passed the American Airlines Center. unfortunately i couldn't really see the arena because of a hideous looking train blocking my view.While at the hotel, i took an occasional peek out of the window to see how that part of the city looked from the 11th floor. i was disapointed. I believe that downtown Dallas has one of the best skylines at night, but during the day is a total different story. it really looked rundown. i do have to say that once we got on 635 ( near the galleria), i was much more impressed. Too bad it was the only part of town i liked.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go back in 2 months and generally stay east of the Stemmons corridor. East and west of Stemmons during green months are night and day. People say the "west" starts in FW. No, it start diagonally from Plano, down through Carrolton, Irving, GP. Basically west of the hills. Plus, winter is ugly in Dallas and most of the country where it gets cold. The other 3 seasons are very green though. If you don't believe the night and day, try this post

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=176777

Beautiful? Oh hell yes......the scenery is right up there with the Amalfi Coast, the Swiss Alps and Big Sur.......

Wait, you mean the buildings? Oh Hell yes. Paris, San Francisco, Dallas... all interchangeable baby......

Just kidding obviously.....Clean and new? A lot of Dallas fits that description. Nice? Compared to a lot of cities, yes. Interesting? Somewhat. Fun? Sure can be. Beautiful? Come on now. A lot of Dallas is damn ugly, particularly in the winter.

ps. i live in dallas so i can say this....?

Knowing that i may be harassed by fellow Houstonians...i am willingly writing my views of Dallas...

I honestly think it is a great city...like many other cities here in this great country of ours...when it comes to defining the beauty of a city...the rubric is highly debatable, like they say "one mans trash is another mans treasure." Its all opinion based. These opinions seem to always spark up controversy with some people regarding Houston and Dallas. Back to the beauty topic, i find myself drawing a blank on picking a city that is truely beautiful throughout. A city is a city and will always have...crime, litter, graffitti, the homeless...etc. I do feel that there are plenty of beautiful cities, i mean, i think that Dallas and Houston and just about every city in the U.S. are beautiful(not including lubbock). I dont know why you feel the need to say that you "unfortunately" visited Dallas...I think its a great place with a lot of new and great things coming in...I would love to visit Big D right now and check out all of the changes since i havent been there in a few years...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that i am sick of the inner-state rivalry and that i think Dallas and Houston could learn some things from eachother and it would improve each city...C'mon TEAMWORK HERE...and back to the original post...its Texas during the winter...pretty much bland and dead everywhere...at least appreciate its beauty in the fact that it has turned some of its most run down areas into thriving communities...alright ive pretty much forgotten where i was headed originally with this so this concludes my current train of thought....

Brijonmang I agree completely with everything you just said. I am a native Dallasite but I could never see myself degrading Houston to the extent some people bash dallas or vice versa. I like Houston and I truly believe that it holds a bright future.

Houcajun I can't understand how you can completly stereotype a city with such a quick visit. All cities have their bad parts and you seem to have visted some of the least attractive places in the area. I recommend you visit the uptown area of the city the next time you're in town and then see what you think. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Brijonmang I agree completely with everything you just said.  I am a native Dallasite but I could never see myself degrading Houston to the extent some people bash dallas or vice versa.  I like Houston and I truly believe that it holds a bright future. 

Houcajun I can't understand how you can completly stereotype a city with such a quick visit.  All cities have their bad parts and you seem to have visted some of the least attractive places in the area.  I recommend you visit the uptown area of the city the next time you're in town and then see what you think.  I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I am planning to visit Dallas for the first time in a few weeks. Please tell me where the nice parts are so I don

Actually, pretty much any place is bland and dead during Winter (well, except Hawaii), let alone Texas.

you speak the truth my good man...i was just trying to bring an example close to home but youre right, green=good brown=bad lol

I'm trying to think non-touristy here

-White Rock Lake is very un what the first pic described. Lots of old southern mansions around the lake. Nice scenery and people watching. Great riding trail that goes very far north into the city. Even if you don't like touristy, The Arboretum is there and great in the spring

-Lower Greenville or Deep Ellum at night are less touristy than McKinney or the West End

-ride the entire DART LRT line(only $2.50 for all day) Good way to see behind the freeways. You'll ride through forested areas, rough and rugged hoods, a nice subway ride. Each station has a different look, and there is plenty to do along the line.

-Old Preston Hollow is very interesting to drive through. That means the hoods of Bluffview, Preston Hollow and the biggies just north. No where else but New York or London do you see that much money in one neighborhood. Very beautiful neighborhood.

-Katy Trail is a nice walk. Runs from Victory, right between Uptown and Turtle Creek and Up to the Knox-Henderson area. Great Views

-The Great Trinity Forest is sort of touristy, but hasn't quite caught on yet. You can go on guided canoe rides down the river and into the forest, which starts downtown.

-You don't want touristy, but do see the Nasher.

-Do drive on Central Expressway. I know its a freeway, but its nice and interesting to look at.

- If you like home architecture, don't miss the M-Streets, Lakewood, Swiss Avenue, Wilson Block, North Oak Cliff, Greenway Parks, the above mentioned Preston Hollow and especially the Park Cities. They have great representations of grand older architecture and are simply beautiful neighborhoods. Even State-Thomas has some great old homes to look at.

- Catch a Frisco Roughriders game. Their stadium is awesome.

non-touristy, non-touristy

- Visits some of the other lakes. Lots of fishing, boatin, etc.

Just get off the freeways a little and you'll see a different place than the skyline shots.

Most everything else is pretty touristy. Plenty of that stuff. Maybe the folks at dallasmetropolis can help you out a bit more. They'd know more non-touristy things than I do.

Brijonmang I agree completely with everything you just said.  I am a native Dallasite but I could never see myself degrading Houston to the extent some people bash dallas or vice versa.  I like Houston and I truly believe that it holds a bright future. 

Houcajun I can't understand how you can completly stereotype a city with such a quick visit.  All cities have their bad parts and you seem to have visted some of the least attractive places in the area.  I recommend you visit the uptown area of the city the next time you're in town and then see what you think.  I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I visited Dallas alot growing up, but haven't visited it that much since i moved here. i really didn't notice or care about the things i reported in my post until i became a member of this forum.... whether it's good or bad, i don't know. I've noticed that when people describe Dallas as pretty or cleaner , they are usually refering to areas way north and out of the city limits like Plano,frisco, etc.... plano is nice, but so is the Woodlands and kingwood.Look, Houston is far from perfect, but even my family and friends who live their admit that it isn't as pretty as some people somehow believe. there was an R.V. park off of I35, just minutes from downtown Dallas.AN R.V. PARK. peace out.

I visited Dallas alot growing up, but haven't visited it that much since i moved here.

In my opinion, that's your problem. You're making comments based upon an uninformed position.

there was an R.V. park off of I35, just minutes from downtown Dallas.AN R.V. PARK. peace out.

There are no RV Parks on I35 near Downtown Dallas. Enough already.

in regard to skylines, dallas skyline has a nice smooth classy feel but houston's is bolder and more powerful, that's why i think Houston's overall skyline is betta. Dallas seems like it focuses on most areas around their downtown. Houston on the eastside of downtown lets itself go to rotten ____. Let's face it, the "nice" parts i think Houston has is uptown, medical center, woodlands, & NASA. Downtown, although coming a long way, still has some work to do. But i ____in' love Houston, it's cool, i don't give a rats ass what some 2012 Olympic assholes said. Houston and Dallas are both beautiful cities

Houston's skyline runs from Downtown, to the Med Center, to Greenponit, to Uptown and beyond.

It' about five "skylines" in one city. 

You have to go all the way to Ft. Worth to find Dallas' other "skyline".

I grew up in Houston and can say that Greenspoint can hardly be described as part of Houston's skyline. I live in Dallas (Lakewood), but spent the first few years in Uptown. It is an area that is vibrant, young and energetic. Something Houston's mid town area will be with time.

I do think that Dallas takes bolder leaps when it comes to fresh ideas. The plan to build a park over the Woodall Rogers, The Trinity River Project and the new buildings planned for the arts district will really put Dallas on the national radar.

Houston had the chance to hide the Katy Freeway (like 59 around West U), but instead they decided to slap down the hideous 25 lanes or whatever it is going to be. I understand the money and pure logistics behind it, but Dallas did it with its main North/South corridor and it does make a huge difference.

Houston still has the chance to catch up, but it needs people that think outside the box and act, not just put it on paper.

I do think that Dallas takes bolder leaps when it comes to fresh ideas. The plan to build a park over the Woodall Rogers, The Trinity River Project and the new buildings planned for the arts district will really put Dallas on the national radar.

I think Dallas takes bold steps since, for a long time, it has been trying hard to become or be considered the first-tier city in the nation. In contrast, Houston doesnt really take itself seriously. I think Houston has achieved what it intended to with that kind of an attitude. It's time to change.

Everday, BA Flight 2026 from London to Houston will take you right over Greenspoint.

Which is in what city?

And Greenspoint is just as big as downtown Tulsa.  And that's no disrespect to Tulsa.

Some of you folks need to get out more.

Seriously man, I am talking skylines here. Houston has plenty of skylines like you said, but not one continuous skyline if thay is what you are trying to go for.

No, just multiple in Houston.

Like I said in the first place, you have to travel to Ft. Worth to see Dallas' other skyline.

I would say that Las Colinas is very similiar to Westchase District or Energy Corridor. The Galleria area is basically the same as Houston's, sans the Transco as I still call it. You also have other clusters of buildings just like you will find in any other major city.

Archived