Major Employers in San Antonio

mrfootball

I just returned from a trip to San Antonio and the Hill Country and loved your city. Driving down I-10, It almost feels like two completely different cities. Old San Antonio and New San Antonio. I'm curious, what is the economic climate in the city? Who are the major employers? With regards to Boerne, far NW San Antonio suburbs and exurbs, where do all of these people work? Which areas have the most desirable schools?

I just returned from a trip to San Antonio and the Hill Country and loved your city. Driving down I-10, It almost feels like two completely different cities. Old San Antonio and New San Antonio. I'm curious, what is the economic climate in the city? Who are the major employers? With regards to Boerne, far NW San Antonio suburbs and exurbs, where do all of these people work? Which areas have the most desirable schools?

NEISD and NSISD and Alamo Heights are the best school districts and Bourne would be another one further north

ATT and USAA are hearquartered in SA as are Valero and Tesoro Petroleum companies

UTSA is growing fast and there is the South West Research Center and The South West Primate Center (the monkey farm) that are both large employeers

Toyota is down south and the tourist industry is big all over SA with The Alamo, Sea World, Fiesta Texas and a decent zoo and the other Historical Missions and the Mercado ect.

SA is a very nice place. Lived there for 11 years. My dad is from there so I go way back in that part of the state. It's a lower-wage, less educated city than Houston. Has attracted some big names in banking (Citi, WaMu) lately, but these are call centers. I believe the big economic driver is still tourism, by a long shot. Educationally, they're at least trying to work within that framwork. UTSA offers a degree program in tourism related business, and there is an Culinary Institute-acrredited school there now as well. USAA is not on many peoples' radar, but is a major employer--about 17,000 on their campus. The medical center is quite large, and the military medical community is the considered by many the best in the country. Southwest Research is also HQd there on the west side.

It was nice, but I was happy to get back to the big city in 2006. As SA got bigger, its charms diminished, for me anyway. I pity the people who live North, West and NW. The commute is quickly approaching Houston-bad. It is big in size but provincial in attitude (the ubiquitous town square-ish developments springing up everywhere nothwithstanding). Summer is when I miss it most. All the rivers and lakes and lakes so close by. I spent every other weeekend with my butt in a tube on a river, or with friends out on Canyon or Medina or McQueeney lake. Good lakes, not that nasty east Texas swampy stuff.

Yes it has changed in very drastic ways.

I hadn't actually stopped in SA and visited in decades and could not believe the transformation of old to new. Was able to check out the most touristy areas like the Riverwalk and was absolutely floored of the upgrades and modern additions. This place was alive and jumping!

It's no wonder SA is a big tourist attraction in Texas. :D

• 2 weeks later...
SA is a very nice place. Lived there for 11 years. My dad is from there so I go way back in that part of the state. It's a lower-wage, less educated city than Houston. Has attracted some big names in banking (Citi, WaMu) lately, but these are call centers. I believe the big economic driver is still tourism, by a long shot. Educationally, they're at least trying to work within that framwork. UTSA offers a degree program in tourism related business, and there is an Culinary Institute-acrredited school there now as well. USAA is not on many peoples' radar, but is a major employer--about 17,000 on their campus. The medical center is quite large, and the military medical community is the considered by many the best in the country. Southwest Research is also HQd there on the west side.

I have to correct you on some of what you posted. SA may have a generally lower wage than Houston, however, SA has a higher median household income than Houston. Also, per capita, SA has more college students in all of Texas.

As for Citibank and WaMu... I'm not sure what "lately" is but those call centers came in 2005 or before. Recently, SA has been a data center magnet landing a 500 million, eventually 1 billion dollar, Microsoft data center.

The big economic driver is the medical and bio-science industries followed by the financial industry. Tourism I believe is third or fourth, recently being passed by the Military.

The Culinary school is actually a CIA school. The most prestigious culinary academy in America.

To answer your questions, I'll go in order.

The economic climate is quite high right now. Construction is booming, jobs are being added by the thousands every once, unemployment is going down.

The major employers are HEB, Valero, USAA, Military, etc.

Well, I could not really tell you were people work as I have no idea where they work, lol.

As for which areas have the most desirable schools, well, for San Antonio that's going to be either the NEISD or the NISD. Alamo Heights ISD is always highly rated. SCUC-ISD is another good one as well as Boerne ISD. An often not talk about district is ECISD.

Hope I could help.

Archived