Good job, NASA! Phoenix arrives on Mars

I don't know if JSC had anything to do with this, but we have a new probe on Mars. Too bad this one doesn't crawl around, but at least it's landed safely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(spacecraft)

JSC had pretty much nothing to do with this... but is taking some of the credit, in media outlets that fail to qualify "Mission Control" (e.g. MSBC, CNN, initially)... when people hear "Mission Control" they think Houston... but in reality, (mission control at) JPL, in Pasedena CA, is running the show on this one.

This is first time since 1976 that NASA/JPL has put down landers on Mars that use retro-rockets to "soft land." Aside from finding life on Mars, that in and of itself is a small miracle.

JSC had pretty much nothing to do with this... but is taking some of the credit, in media outlets that fail to qualify "Mission Control" (e.g. MSBC, CNN, initially)... when people hear "Mission Control" they think Houston... but in reality, (mission control at) JPL, in Pasedena CA, is running the show on this one.

This is first time since 1976 that NASA/JPL has put down landers on Mars that use retro-rockets to "soft land." Aside from finding life on Mars, that in and of itself is a small miracle.

One thing's for sure ... looking at the pictures from the control room, those folks LOVE their job.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24811991/

They do... Anyone want to guess why all of them are wearing blue shirts? I have an idea...

White shirts stain too easily? If you are up for hours (days at a stretch I would imagine) you'd get a pretty filthy looking white shirt.

Blue hides the dirt better?

You think $130/bbl is high, waititill you see the transport on that stuff! They can keep it. :lol:

man, can you imagine the pipeline required? :)

Then again, to have oil you gotta have dinosaurs to die for our cause.

White shirts stain too easily? If you are up for hours (days at a stretch I would imagine) you'd get a pretty filthy looking white shirt.

Blue hides the dirt better?

WATER. The essential ingredient for life. The hope is to find it. I didn't catch it at first, but now, it

No it doesn't. Water can only be blue on Earth because it is reflecting the sky. The Martian sky isn't blue.

When the general public thinks "water" ... oceans of water... they think "blue"... and it's also freezing cold up there, so cold you'd turn blue if you were there.

Wow, You guys actually CARE about this? Would the money be better spent on other stuff...? Subsidizing the cost of gas, Helping pay for health insurance?.... As long as dish network works i don't care about what's out there.

Wow, You guys actually CARE about this?

Sure.

Would the money be better spent on other stuff...? Subsidizing the cost of gas, Helping pay for health insurance?

No.

.... As long as dish network works i don't care about what's out there.

Okely-dokely!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived