Fannin Flower Shops At 4803 Fannin St.

midtownuser

why are these shops open 24 hours a day? it doesn't seem practical and profitable. can someone explain?

All I know is that I see them busy at night sometimes.

Not to mention it is really handy for those emergency flower situations.

I rarely see them busy except mothers day and valentines day. I agree that it doesn't make much sense that so many flower shops can survive in such close proximity. One 24 hour flower shop near the med center I could understand, but is kind of overkill...

I am guessing that the area is THE flower market for the city. This means that the overnight cargo shipment from places like Colombia and Costa Rica come directly here. Florists and designers from all over town probably hit these markets in the wee hours of the morning to stock their shops.

My store uses the Boston Flower Market in much the same way.

• Like 2

Well, I talked to one years ago and they regularly delivered to quite a number of funeral homes and hospitals. At night it was simply not practical to close up shop and take everything inside, so they would simply hire a couple of people to basically watch the inventory. If some customers came by, then that would be a bonus.

Lord knows those flower shops have saved my hide more than once.

• 3 years later...

Maybe it is a habit that started many years ago...those fields in the South End grew flowers for sellers way before the Medical Center ever existed. I'm speculating that the shops at that location were a result of the history of the area.

Maybe it is a habit that started many years ago...those fields in the South End grew flowers for sellers way before the Medical Center ever existed. I'm speculating that the shops at that location were a result of the history of the area.

That's an interesting bit of information. I had never heard that. I remember a post by JR Gonzales in his Bayou City History blog in the Chron about Produce Row, aka Airline Drive, getting it's name from the fact there used to be truck farms along that road and it was just a natural gathering place to sell produce.

Yes, I agree...I just wrote a research paper on the Houston wards for one of my classes. I learned that Produce Row and the land settled around it was picked due to the perfect natural setting for growing crops and the close proximity to the waterway for shipping.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Fannin Flower Shops
  • The title was changed to Fannin Flower Shops At 4803 Fannin St.