Water District Seeks To Buy Raveneaux Country Club

mrfootball

Water district seeks to buy big chunk of country club

By KIM JACKSON

Chronicle Correspondent

A water and utility district has proposed to buy the bulk of the 288-acre Raveneaux Country Club property off Cypresswood and lease it to the current owner for use as a golf course.

Cypress Forest Public Utility District board members on Thursday proposed a deal, which was sent to Raveneaux's owner, JP Realty Partners. The proposal would allow the water district to buy 262 of JP Realty's 288 acres for $5.5 million.

If at any point during the proposed 99-year lease period JP Realty ceases to operate the golf course for more than a year, the land would revert back to Cypress Forest for use as a public park.

Cypress Forest PUD would have to secure funds through a bond election or a loan, said Joe B. Allen, Cypress Forest PUD attorney.

If JP Realty agrees to the deal, the water district would also be granted a 40-foot-wide strip of land fronting Cypresswood Drive from Champion Forest Drive to the bridge over Cypress Creek near Cutten Road. The tract would be developed as a landscaped trail.

According to proposal, JP Realty could develop the remaining 26 acres at the southwest corner of Cypresswood and Champions Drive, but would be limited to what it could build.

There is a no-apartment clause, and all residential units would have to be at least 1,500 square feet.

A key point of the deal, said Allen, is that the entire acreage would be annexed into the Cypress Forest PUD. JP Realty currently has a pending agreement with the Kleinwood Municipal Utility District. If signed, all but seven acres of the Raveneaux property would be annexed into Kleinwood MUD.

Cypress Forest PUD and JP Realty Partners have been involved in several months of negotiations. JP Realty needs water and sewer services to develop the site, and Cypress Forest board members said they needed more information about development plans.

In addition, several residents in Cypress Forest PUD have voiced pro and cons about JP Realty's original Kera Village plan, which included a mixture of brownstone-style townhomes and mid-rise condominiums on 45 of Raveneaux's 288 acres.

Members of the group Concerned Raveneaux Neighbors and other residents who oppose Kera Village said the influx of 800-plus residents in 467 units would put more cars on the already crowded Cypresswood Drive and Champion Drive. The group is also worried about increased flooding conditions in an already flood-prone neighborhood, a heavier burden on fire, police and emergency services, and the possibility of lower property values.

Supporters, including many Raveneaux members who have seen the club go through hard times in recent years, said they had seen improvements made on the golf course and at the country club in the year since JP Partners took over.

They said they were willing to back JP Realty's development plans, particularly if it meant they could remain members and be a part of a revitalized club with upscale golf, tennis, swimming and other amenities.

It seemed that negotiations between the water district and the developer were at a stand-still until Cypress Forest PUD board members voted unanimously to endorse the land-sale proposal.

Some applauded the proposal, while others questioned how it would benefit residents in the district, which provides water and sewer services to residents in the Champion Forest, Estates at Windrush, Champions Cove, Stonegate Court, Woods of Cypress Creek and Sterling Gate subdivisions.

The PUD also serves part of the Raveneaux County Club property, Timber Top High Rise, and some commercial areas along Louetta, Cypresswood and Champion Forest roadways.

"Will this raise our taxes?" asked Champion Forest resident Paula Anderson. "If so, I wonder if Cypress Forest PUD residents who do not belong to Raveneaux will want to pay for this."

Cypress Forest PUD board member Tom Petrek said the board would project any impact on taxes if a bond issue is passed.

Allen, the PUD's attorney, said Anderson had a valid point. However, he said, the deal could be viewed as one that benefits the entire community by preserving green space, ensuring upscale development and adding to the water district's tax base.

"And it will become a park if the golf course goes away," Allen said.

Champion Forest Fund Inc. Homeowners Association President Arthur "Roy" Riley said it is a good deal.

"We need to keep our golf course, our greenery and our trees," said Riley.

Water district seeks to buy big chunk of country club

A key point of the deal, said Allen, is that the entire acreage would be annexed into the Cypress Forest PUD. JP Realty currently has a pending agreement with the Kleinwood Municipal Utility District. If signed, all but seven acres of the Raveneaux property would be annexed into Kleinwood MUD.

Why does the article completely gloss over what happens if the pending deal with Kleinwood goes through, it kind of makes the article moot, no?

A few questions...

Why has Raveneaux been doing poorly? Growing up, I could never imagine "poor" and "Raveneaux" in the same sentence.

Wasn't there some strip of land or ditch that the Cypress Forest PUD said that the Kleinwood MUD couldn't cross to bring water lines to any development it builds?

Wouldn't it be amazing if all of Raveneaux were to become a public park? Not only for the incredible scenic beauty along Cypress Creek (and the possibility of a connecting trail to Meyer Park and Cypress Creek Park), but also because it's a slap in the face to all the stuck up Champions Forest snobs I had to endure growing up?

I think this is a great idea. Sans zoning, our options for ensuring valuable development and quality of life are limited. They're discovering that MUD's are just about the only legal authority a community has to retain its character and quality of life. I applaud them for making this move and hope to see more MUD's take action like this.

I particularly like the no apartment clause.

One of the reasons you see so few apartment complexes around Memorial Northwest is because the water board there had sense enough not to "take in" undeveloped areas around it and supply them with water without restrictions like that.

The tract of land on the south side of Louetta between that Randalls and Kleinwood was at one time supposed to have a complex built on it. If I am remembering the story right (which is questionable), the developer tried to get water from MNW's MUD and they refused since it was going to be apartments, they approached Kleinwood's MUD and got it.

Changes in the market ended up causing that complex not to be built. So they dodged a bullet on that one. The diligence in what they would and wouldn't extend water service to in the surrounding area has been good for that subdivision.

When I lived in Ponderosa it was quite different. To get the revenue I guess, they had extended water surface all around without imposing any kind of restrictions.

Speaking of Memorial Northwest - why are there so many foreclosures in that neighborhood specifically?

If you've looked on har.com recently, there are so many houses between 4000 and 6500 square feet going for $60 sq ft and less, and several are foreclosures.

I don't really like the neighborhood too much, but man...can you get a McMansion on the cheap there or what!

Speaking of Memorial Northwest - why are there so many foreclosures in that neighborhood specifically?

If you've looked on har.com recently, there are so many houses between 4000 and 6500 square feet going for $60 sq ft and less, and several are foreclosures.

I don't really like the neighborhood too much, but man...can you get a McMansion on the cheap there or what!

It has always been a bargain on the price per sq ft game over there. I doubt they have much more in the way of foreclosures than any of the comparable subdivisions around there. Those monster houses that Goettee built are not finished out all the well, but the area is between Gleannloch Farms and Champion Forest, with some of the best schools in Klein, so it remains very popular.

It has always been a bargain on the price per sq ft game over there. I doubt they have much more in the way of foreclosures than any of the comparable subdivisions around there. Those monster houses that Goettee built are not finished out all the well, but the area is between Gleannloch Farms and Champion Forest, with some of the best schools in Klein, so it remains very popular.

Looks like they had about a 2% foreclosure rate in 2007, which is definitely higher than average, though not one of the absolute worst. It's also a large neighborhood of 2000+ homes, so maybe it just seemed like they had tons of foreclosures.

Here's an interesting source on 2007 foreclosures in the Houston area by zip/neighborhood:

http://www.chron.com/mm/foreclosure/

My wife and I bought a foreclosure in MNW (4225sq/ft @ $38) and love the house and neighborhood. Definately a bargain. Very few through streets and a nice club house that is great for families.

In our case, no renovations or improvements had been done on the house in 35+ years. Over that time the maintenance done has been minimal.

A lot of sweat equity later, we have a very unique, large, comfortable house near good schools and shopping. The best part is I'm ten minutes from work. :D

D

My wife and I bought a foreclosure in MNW (4225sq/ft @ $38) and love the house and neighborhood. Definately a bargain. Very few through streets and a nice club house that is great for families.

In our case, no renovations or improvements had been done on the house in 35+ years. Over that time the maintenance done has been minimal.

A lot of sweat equity later, we have a very unique, large, comfortable house near good schools and shopping. The best part is I'm ten minutes from work. :D

D

It's hard to argue with $38/sq foot. ^_^

That neighborhood was hit really badly by the housing market crash in the late '80s (and apparently again with this one?) and I guess their property values never recovered. Also if you've ever been in any of those houses (or looked at some of the listings on HAR), a lot of them were really poorly designed - odd floorplans, undersized lots, etc.

They need to do something quick. The weeds are growing :mellow: ... Such a beautiful area.

I think you are referring back to the original topic, which is Raveneaux.

When I drove by last week with my 11-year-old daughter in the car, she said "Gross! What happened to the golf course?"

Right now, it is a pretty severe eyesore.... especially with multi-million dollar homes across the street.

I think you are referring back to the original topic, which is Raveneaux.

When I drove by last week with my 11-year-old daughter in the car, she said "Gross! What happened to the golf course?"

Right now, it is a pretty severe eyesore.... especially with multi-million dollar homes across the street.

The club is still operating isn't it? If so there is no reason the course should not be properly maintained.

There are quite a few courses that are beginning to struggle. I honestly think the days of the golf club membership for the upper middle class may be closing. It is very hard to justify the expense with gas at 4 dollars a gallon for the SUV. Also, taking 4 and a half hours a week to play golf away from the family is becoming harder and harder to do. My dad used to play every Saturday and sometimes Sunday, now that I have a wife and kiddo, I don't see how he did it...

The club is still operating isn't it? If so there is no reason the course should not be properly maintained.

There are quite a few courses that are beginning to struggle. I honestly think the days of the golf club membership for the upper middle class may be closing. It is very hard to justify the expense with gas at 4 dollars a gallon for the SUV. Also, taking 4 and a half hours a week to play golf away from the family is becoming harder and harder to do. My dad used to play every Saturday and sometimes Sunday, now that I have a wife and kiddo, I don't see how he did it...

They have two courses at Raveneaux. It appears one is still being used and the other is falling into a very ugly state.

That neighborhood was hit really badly by the housing market crash in the late '80s (and apparently again with this one?) and I guess their property values never recovered. Also if you've ever been in any of those houses (or looked at some of the listings on HAR), a lot of them were really poorly designed - odd floorplans, undersized lots, etc.

It wasn't hit any harder than anything else in the 80s. In fact it experienced the lion's share of its growth at that time so I don't know what would make you think it was being hit hard then. It has always been a bargain per square foot from day one when they were built. There is no real issue with pricing "not recovering." In fact originally it was cheaper than Wimbledon, Greenwood Forest, Ponderosa & Olde Oaks, but because of the popularity of the schools there vs. some elsewhere, it now actually fares better than most of the above mentioned examples.

As for the undersized lots and odd floor plans. Yes, I would agree with you there. the older sections were more like everything else, but in the 80's the developer switched to building those McMansion homes like what you see on Naremore Blvd. You have 5000 - 7000 sq ft homes on 3' lot lines. Literally just 6' apart.

The finishes used in a lot of them were IMO very cheap looking. But that can always be upgraded I suppose.

Having some of the best schools, and good curb appeal has kept it a popular choice. Many times on HAR when they list the most reviewed subdivisions, it is in the top 10.

• The title was changed to Water District Seeks To Buy Raveneaux Country Club

Archived