Crazy ants

Ants have been a major factor in air conditioner failures. Any AC service personnel in Texas will tell you over one third of all summer repairs stem from ants shorting out terminal blocks. They also have been found to have set up housekeeping in televisions, well pump controls, telephone junction pedestals, airport runway lights, utility watt-hour meters, electrical plugs and lamp sockets, computers, and transformers-where they prefer to nest on the high-voltage side. Why are imported red fire ants attracted to electric fields? No one is yet ready to offer a theory. But biologist Dr. William P. MacKay of the University of Texas at El Paso, and Entomology Professor S. Bradleigh Vinson of Texas A&M have succeeded in eliminating a number of possible factors. They did a study and have found fire ant behavior does not correlate with a/c frequencies, or with the presence of ozone, electromagnetic or magnetic fields. Nor is the type of insulation used on wiring a factor. In tests up to 140V a/c and 350V d/c, both attracted almost the same number of ants at the same voltage and distance. However, they did find that when electricity was turned off, ants attracted to d/c power dispersed more rapidly than those who had been experiencing the nirvana of an a/c source. While the two researchers still don't understand the reasons why the ants have a fatal attraction to electric fields, they have been able to devise successful control techniques. Based on their studies, they recommend using terminal cap protectors to prevent bridging, and denying entrance to the insects by enclosing mechanical relays in metal or plastic cases and sealing them, as well as all entrances to pad mounted equipment, with epoxy cement. In laboratory tests, silicone rubber sealants and roofing cement proved ineffective. So it's nothing new that ants are attracted to electricity and electronics, this phenomenon has been around for years and years. Ask you local Air Condition guy, I am sure he will tell you the same. A&M has been looking into this for years.

KHOU has an article about the 'crazy raspberry ants' (link unavailable)

Ants have been a major factor in air conditioner failures. Any AC service personnel in Texas will tell you over one third of all summer repairs stem from ants shorting out terminal blocks. They also have been found to have set up housekeeping in televisions, well pump controls, telephone junction pedestals, airport runway lights, utility watt-hour meters, electrical plugs and lamp sockets, computers, and transformers-where they prefer to nest on the high-voltage side. Why are imported red fire ants attracted to electric fields? No one is yet ready to offer a theory. But biologist Dr. William P. MacKay of the University of Texas at El Paso, and Entomology Professor S. Bradleigh Vinson of Texas A&M have succeeded in eliminating a number of possible factors. They did a study and have found fire ant behavior does not correlate with a/c frequencies, or with the presence of ozone, electromagnetic or magnetic fields. Nor is the type of insulation used on wiring a factor. In tests up to 140V a/c and 350V d/c, both attracted almost the same number of ants at the same voltage and distance. However, they did find that when electricity was turned off, ants attracted to d/c power dispersed more rapidly than those who had been experiencing the nirvana of an a/c source. While the two researchers still don\'t understand the reasons why the ants have a fatal attraction to electric fields, they have been able to devise successful control techniques. Based on their studies, they recommend using terminal cap protectors to prevent bridging, and denying entrance to the insects by enclosing mechanical relays in metal or plastic cases and sealing them, as well as all entrances to pad mounted equipment, with epoxy cement. In laboratory tests, silicone rubber sealants and roofing cement proved ineffective. So it\'s nothing new that ants are attracted to electricity and electronics, this phenomenon has been around for years and years. Ask you local Air Condition guy, I am sure he will tell you the same. A&M has been looking into this for years.

The above is from an article entitled Fatal Electrical Attraction: Invasion of the insects from Hell by Richard B. Elsberry (Sept. 1997)

Give credit where credit is due.

I've had an influx of spiders in the last two weeks. I would normally blame the rain, but that hasn't been the case.

We have too even though we live in a wooded area but man they have been all over like crazy. Made webs on my ceing fan pull chain, from my desk speaker to the monitor and on my countertop in the kitchen. Its not that I havent cleaned in weeks or months just cleaned last week. Well I got bug spray and went to town. Has worked cause I have seen maybe 2 spiders in the last 3 days.

Have been seeing alot of ant hills "going up" around the neighborhood :P and they are all different ants.

I just dread the mosquitos and it was reported today the first confirmed case of West Nile was in north Montgomery county.

Ants are the number one reason we do not have many hanging baskets with plants. These damned things are so desperate they climb up and get inside to eat the roots? A waste of $ since they will stop at nothing to eat the poor plants. We plant everything in the ground and then you have to monitor for a few weeks to make sure the freaking ants aren't eating them in the earth!

The ants even go up to our second floor balcony to enter air conditoner? I love smashing down on their little parades. Break up that conga line big time! :angry2::lol:

Ants are the number one reason we do not have many hanging baskets with plants. These damned things are so desperate they climb up and get inside to eat the roots? A waste of $ since they will stop at nothing to eat the poor plants. We plant everything in the ground and then you have to monitor for a few weeks to make sure the freaking ants aren't eating them in the earth!

The ants even go up to our second floor balcony to enter air conditoner? I love smashing down on their little parades. Break up that conga line big time! :angry2::lol:

Is there a way to place soapy water dishes so that the if ants tried to get into the hanging plant, they would have to fall into soapy water and drown?

The local news commercial, probably in some attempt to cause mass panic, also indicated the are "resistant" to pesticides? Maybe to a few of them, but I guarantee I can find something to kill some damn ants. Lighter fluid if need be. Bleach. Depends on what kind of damage I mind giving to whatever they are on. Haven't seen any at my place though.

ANDRO used to work really good buy it seems like they watered it down or something not as strong scented and ants just chuckle at it now.

Spectricide is like sprinkling perfume on them too. They look back and just giggle.

I could just plotz I'm telling ya! :blink: Bear traps perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...
Crumble up some ritalin and put it where the ants are, that ought to make em less crazy.

Hilarious!

Maybe some classical music will sooth these little savage beasts? What about methadone?

Ironically, they seem to still flourish despite our extreme heat. I have at least 2 palms that are about to keel over from these little fottuto bastardos eating away at them from the inside. :angry: Can I say that? :ph34r:

ants: formica

Archived