Sign in to follow this  
gwilson

First white Valedictorian from Morehouse

I was kinda wondering the same thing.

I am sure it is a Native American group...don't know which tribe it may be specifically...

I'm just surprised nobody's reached for the lowest rung and pointed out his pun friendly last name, "Packwood". No wonder he was so popular. With a name like that, try NOT getting a date. :lol:

I'm just surprised nobody's reached for the lowest rung and pointed out his pun friendly last name, "Packwood". No wonder he was so popular. With a name like that, try NOT getting a date. :lol:

Oh, your dirty mind. :P

You asked for a reason why white people shouldn't get "pissy" about a racist comment. I'm not saying racial injustice is specific to blacks, or that 400 years of slavery excuses anything or justifies anything. I just think its a lot easier for white people to let racist comments slide than it is for black people. Our history doesn't define us, but it hasn't been magically erased, either.

And that was just one option. If you don't like it, chose the other one.

If one allows the past to control their future, it is their mistake, not mine.

What group is that?

To be fair, it wasn't exactly federal in nature.

From 1838 through 1976 (though it wasn't actually practiced for a better than a hudred years), the State of Missourri had an extermination order out on Mormons. This order was rescinded in 1976 by Gov. Bond with apologies.

Text of the recinsion:

WHEREAS, on October 27, 1838, the Governor of the State of Missouri, Lilburn W. Boggs, signed an order calling for the extermination or expulsion of Mormons from the State of Missouri; and

WHEREAS, Governor Boggs' order clearly contravened the rights to life, liberty, property and religious freedom as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, as well as the Constitution of the State of Missouri; and

WHEREAS, in this bicentennial year as we reflect on our nation's heritage, the exercise of religious freedom is without question one of the basic tenets of our free democratic republic;

Now, THEREFORE, I, CHRISTOPHER S. BOND, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby order as follows:

Expressing on behalf of all Missourians our deep regret for the injustice and undue suffering which was caused by the 1838 order, I hereby rescind Executive Order Number 44, dated October 27, 1838, issued by Governor W. Boggs.

In witness I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the great seal of the State of Missouri, in the city of Jefferson, on this 25 day of June, 1976.

(Signed) Christopher S. Bond, Governor.

Do not think that I am trying to equate anything with slavery of any kind as the oppressions of people cannot be compared. The fact is, these things, be it the slavery of the jews in Egypt, the African slave trade, the extermination of Native Americans, genocide of Christians in SE Asia, etc are all gross injustices, but we cannot allow them to define us...or give us excuses (which is what the 400 years in slavery bit is...an excuse).

Just for you...

heh heh, you said wood.

Remember JLW, this is a whiteguy we are talking about, none of those women at that campus would possibly "believe" THAT !

Remember JLW, this is a whiteguy we are talking about, none of those women at that campus would possibly "believe" THAT !

Morehouse is all male, but I am sure some of the dudes there swing that way, and might possibly enjoy some of that too.

:-)

If one allows the past to control their future, it is their mistake, not mine.

I'm a white male. I don't know what it feels like to be black in the US, but I imagine I'd be more upset by racial comments if I was.

I'm a white male. I don't know what it feels like to be black in the US, but I imagine I'd be more upset by racial comments if I was.

I think it depends on how you look at it. I have experienced all kinds of 'attitudes' from all kinds of people. White, black, Hispanic, Asian, straight, gay ... I am not sure if it is all racial or just people with a bad day sometimes.

What I do know is that honestly, life is too short to wonder why, for me to put too much energy into trying to figure it out, or make excuses for why people act the way they do (towards me) at times.

I keep moving ahead, keep reaching for my personal goals, and try to treat people like I want to be treated.

If it's not affecting me personally, my lifestyle, my job, my income, my family or friends, it's like whatever.

I personally believe the whole slavery issue is simply history. I do not understand how someone could hold a grudge for something so long ago. memebag, how could you say the slavery thing as some kind of justice for blacks saying racial things to whites? Its not right, for anyone, no matter what color.

I personally believe the whole slavery issue is simply history. I do not understand how someone could hold a grudge for something so long ago. memebag, how could you say the slavery thing as some kind of justice for blacks saying racial things to whites? Its not right, for anyone, no matter what color.

I didn't say slavery was some kind of justice for black saying racial things to whites. Read my posts again, please. Slavery is history. So are Jim Crow laws, segregation, some discrimination, a little bit of inherited wealth disparity, etc. My point was that race is still an issue in the US, and white people aren't on the short end of that stick. Being more upset by racial slurs doesn't mean someone is holding a grudge; it means there's more going on than just words. It's easy for me (a white man) to say get over it and don't be so upset, but the truth is I've benefited from the same institutions that black people have suffered from.