The RO: Mixed-Use Development At West Alabama And Buffalo Spdwy.

YakuzaIce

Prime Land Up For Grabs
By Nancy Sarnoff - 2004

A pair of prime parcels of inner-city real estate is about to change hands for the first time in decades.

Apartment developers are in negotiations with the William Dickey estate for six acres of coveted land on Kirby Drive.

Gables Residential and the Hanover Co. are lined up to take control of two tracts on the west side of Kirby just south of Westheimer, according to real estate sources.

The proposed projects will replace the River Oaks Tennis Club and an adjacent retail center that currently occupy the land.

The Dickeys, an old-line Houston family that has owned most of the land along Kirby between Westheimer and West Alabama for more than a century, put the property on the block earlier this year.

The family, which has maintained control of much of its land through long-term ground leases, is expected to sell the two acres to Hanover and lease the four acres to Gables.

The Dickeys are also looking to lease about two acres on the east side of Kirby, where the now-defunct Hard Rock Cafe and Anthony's restaurant buildings sit.

About five years after real estate developer William Dickey died, his family decided to relinquish control of nearly eight acres of land on Kirby.

Bids for the property were solicited in May by Wulfe & Co.

Of the more than 20 offers that came in, just a few are left standing, said Kenneth Katz of Wulfe & Co.

In addition to the land on Kirby, the Dickeys also control long-term ground leases with Whole Foods for its West Alabama supermarket and the Ainbinder Co., which owns the Borders bookstore shopping center across the street.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company Technical Training Center

Project: ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company Technical Training Center, Houston

Client ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company

Architect: PageSoutherlandPage

Contractor: D.E. Harvey

Consultants: Shen Milsom Wilke (av/acoustics); ASA Consulting Engineers (structrual); ARCADIS (civil); The Office of James Burnett (landscape); Sunland Engineering (traffic); HBC/Terracon (soils); Bridges International (roofing); Moisture Technology Corp. (curtain wall)

Photographer: Tim Griffiths

portexxon1T.jpg

Floor Plan The design of the ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company Technical Training Center, completed in May 2004, blends the old with the new. The two-story 98,000-sf facility responds to the materials and horizontality of the existing Buffalo Speedway campus, but applies a new combination of forms and material relationships. The new building's design becomes more creative as it moves away from its junction with the 1950s-era McKie and Kamrath building, notable for its strips of brick, glass and shading devices. The new facility's facade steps toward the street in a series of layers composed of Central Texas limestone, glass, and brick. Another material - a canted curved metal panel - is introduced to represent ExxonMobil's innovative technology. The facility houses a grand lobby and gallery, classrooms of various sizes, two large areas for breakout sessions, as well as support and office spaces for training staff. The terrazzo floor in the lobby is an abstract pattern representing fluvial systems studied within the training center. Classrooms are equipped for the latest media, and a visualization classroom takes advantage of a large projection screen that can be configured in several ways, including as four sides of a cube. Parking for approximately 458 cars is provided adjacent to the training facility. The project distinguishes itself by covering a wide range of subject matter, from the tactile nature of oil field hardware and geologic material to the virtual world of computer models and simulations. All elements combine to create a training tool which will serve thousands of students annually from around the world who are involved in ExxonMobil's exploration, development, production, and research enterprises.

--Courtney Mahaffey

Link

• Like 1

When 610 north was closed last weekend I rerouted down Buffalo Speedway and I think I was next to this building for about 30 minutes. :( but it did make me wonder what it was. From my vantage I never saw a sign. I think they did a good job of making the new structure follow the old structures lines.

I was also late for my salsa class. grrr

• Like 1

ExxonMobil has a number of buildings on Buffalo Speedway, and I think none of them are marked with signs. Most are near Richmond.

Yeah, oddly enough Exxon's technology sector was trying to recruit me a few years ago and they kept refering to this campus and I just had no idea what they were talking about because I lived in the area (Buffalo Spdwy and Bissonnet) and had never seen a Exxon sign.

How stealthy the evil empire is...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine who works for a prominent Developer in town is looking for land on Kirby. I know, I know, hold back the laughter (who's not looking there, right?). But, these guys are absolute buyers and price is really not an issue. Anybody looking to make a brokerage/finder's fee please post or IM me with any opportunities. Must have frontage on Kirby with a Kirby address.

Thanks.

TNJ

• Like 1

There is empty land on the western side of Buffalo Speedway between Westheimer and Richmond. This is prime real estate sitting vacant. Is anything happening down there?

By the way, which part of midtown is seeing most development so far? I drove north on Main Street coming from TMC. The area between TMC and 59 is, of course, nice. However, once I had passed under 59 and entered Midtown, I didnt notice any of the new constructions everyone is talking about. I drove until Alabama, turned east and returned via Fannin since I didnt have much time but just wanted to take a quick look. I did see a new condo building on Fannin, just south of Alabama.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

River Oaks neighborhood group barks up new tree

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

River Oaks residents are hoping a proposal to tighten neighborhood deed restrictions will bear fruit after a construction boom has leveled many historic homes and trees in the ritzy neighborhood.

River Oaks Property Owners Inc. is gearing up to amend the community's deed restrictions by requiring property owners to gain approval from the organization before undertaking any construction project that calls for the removal of trees.

In order for the group to gain that authority, 75 percent of the property owners in River Oaks must approve the new restrictions granting such power to the organization.

Link to full story.

• 3 weeks later...

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

• Like 1

A commentator on NPR yesterday was saying that now is the perfect time for something like soccer to move up into the main stream with the NHL in gridlock.

Thats fine with me. I just hope the NHL recovers or another hockey league rises up.

• Like 1

Very interesting topic.

One must understand that such an experiment in Houston could work, and that besides building a team that will have cross cultural support, there must be a forward thinking stadium plan.

Ideally, a solution along the lines of Home Depot Center in L.A., which consists of a fan-friendly 25 000 seat stadium and a practice field complex. Considering how short Houston is on park space anyway, any addition where fans can not only enjoy a game in an intimate setting, along with fields where youth leagues can flourish would be a welcome addition.

As far as where to build it, does the huge Reliant parking lot have enough space for this? It is on the light rail line and is rather convenient from pretty much all of the city.

• Like 1

Semipro...

I agree, however I believe the current Astrodome is too large. Another issue is to determine if the future soccer stadium would be an enclosable facility like Reliant. I think not, as perhaps it would be too small to be economically feasible.

So ideally; demolish the Astrodome, build a purpose built soccer stadium with training fields (or borrow the Texans facility), and reserve Reliant for future World Cup/ US National/ International prestige matches.

• Like 1

It is just right. They don't need all those seats in the Dome tare them out. All they need is about 20,000-30,000 seats in there, and have resturants, retail and other amenties. They also can use it not only for soccer, but for high school football and playoffs, even the State Championship. That will bring more money back into the Dome. They also could dig an underground practice field like they did the Toyota Center. It's ways around it. Even they could have a hotel inside for the visiting team, and for people.

And I agree with you Volvo on they could borrow the Texans facility.

• Like 1

Why the Astrodome won't work...

Soccer regulations demand natural grass. No exceptions. Then, roping off the upper levels of the stadium creates a cavernous, empty feel. It would dwarf any other stadium in the league and destroy any attempt at atmosphere. Any additional work on the Dome would really be unecessary and an expense that the new team could not finance. A hotel? So what happens when there are no teams staying? Hotel occupancy is hovering over 57%, so new rooms in a new hotel sitting in a parking lot with nothing else to do would be a waste. Understand that the leading MLS franchise has an annual player payroll of 3 Million! Roger Clemons alone will make that come mid-June! So not a lot of cash for them to burn before the first match.

• Like 1

Besides, what team wanna play outside in the weather. Rain, thunderstorms you have to cancel the game. In an enclosed facility is perfect. What is the Dome used for today, nothing, just for high school football and that's it. We taxpayers is paying for a useless facility. I say turn it into a soccer facility. These outdoor facilies is played out. The grass all muddy from the rain, and other people using the field messing it up worster. Harris County Houston Sports Authority need to look into the Dome future, instead letting it sit up wasting tax payers money.

• Like 1

it would be sweet if they could use the dome for this, and modify it to work. but i'm assuming attendance levels would be really low. when you got to aeros games mid-season and they're not doing to well, sitting in Toyota with most of the seats empty really takes away from the game. and the operating costs of the dome, they would be losing money going into it...

and i don't think the weather here would be a problem for playing outdoor. the season is from april to october, sure it would be hot, but most days wouldn't be any hotter than dallas, and it usually only rains in the afternoons and clears out in the evenings. no different from east coast florida.

hooligans are key, we may have to import some until we get it right.

Well by some of my replies around this forum, you all know I am a sucker for things being dowtown, especially when it fills up the surface lots. If money was not an issue, I would definitely put something near the other sporting venues in dt to make the area complete as a sports district, since they name the other parts of downtown by distict anyway.