Mod Back on Craigslist

TXvoodoo

Link

For future reference, when you pull up the screen to post it's the button with the green + sign on it. After you copy the link you click on that green "+" button and paste the link there, click "okay" it will then ask you to name it, type in whatever you want to appear "link to house" or the houses address, or whatever, press okay.

It is a good looking house.

As nice as it is I would be hard pressed to pay $113 a foot for that area.

The ad is back on craigslist

new link

Also;

Tragically Hip - a rock band out of Canada; The name, The Tragically Hip, was taken from a Michael Nesmith video called "Elephant Parts." The video contained a clip asking for contributions to The Foundation for The Tragically Hip: poor, afflicted people in need of jacuzzis, Lamborghinis and cocaine.

Good or Bad I don't know but a cool name none the less.

The price dropped too. Now at $142,000 which may still be a high PSF for that area but probably worth it for the right buyer who doesn't want to have to do updates themselves or worse undo hideous updates. I wish their were pics of the bathrooms posted. I would go and take pics myself but it's not listed on HAR.

The ad is back on craigslist

new link

The price dropped too. Now at $142,000 which may still be a high PSF for that area but probably worth it for the right buyer who doesn't want to have to do updates themselves or worse undo hideous updates. I wish their were pics of the bathrooms posted. I would go and take pics myself but it's not listed on HAR.

It was appraised for like $104k. I guess the upgrades weren't factored in. Still.

It was appraised for like $104k. I guess the upgrades weren't factored in. Still.

If you are referring to HCAD values, I wouldn't put much weight behind them. They have everything to do with how well someone fights their taxes and very little to do with real market value.

• 2 weeks later...

This house at 7139 Sharpcrest is very well done. It's obvious someone very talented has taken a standard Sharpstown floor plan and fine-tuned it to perfection. I was able to tour the house yesterday and found it is the same plan as the house I grew up in one block away but with some careful attention to detail- it's been made outstanding. Some of the fine mod details include the wonderful black glazed masonry work on both the house and the courtyard walls, textured frosted glass garage doors, some vintage light fixtures, circular pool also trimmed in the black brick (now filled and used as a planting bed), architectural style stainless steel house numbers, grid style patio squares and varying size circular step pads leading to the former pool. It was obviously a very completely decked out super deluxe mod package and it's still in excellent condition. The site is also attractive being located on a nicely maintained block on a well proportioned lot complete with majestic shade trees.

Some quick research shows the original owner, Charles Traylor Niblack, may have been an artist, having at least one work copywrited. His brother may have been architect Richard Niblack who helped design the Johnson Space Center for NASA. Richard Niblack headed the design team for the firm of Pereira and Luckman of Los Angeles, California. In addition to the Johnson Space Center, Niblack's projects included Aloha Stadium in Hawaii, the Atlantic Richfield Co. Alaska headquarters in Anchorage, The Forum in Inglewood and the 62-story First Interstate Bank Headquarters and Broadway Plaza complex in Los Angeles. The Niblack design team received 98 awards for design excellence.

If you are referring to HCAD values, I wouldn't put much weight behind them. They have everything to do with how well someone fights their taxes and very little to do with real market value.

Tell that to the bank !

Hello! I am the owner and remodeler of 7139 Sharpcrest. It is quite a gem. We are listing it at $135K starting this weekend. In my opinion, this is the best mod in Sharpstown, and certainly has the most beautiful trees, including a fantastic Rice U.-worthy live oak in the front.

Anyone interested in seeing it can contact my realtor, Karre Orton (but please, only if you are in the market for a mod) It should be up on HAR in a few days

karre@karreorton.com

My website is area16.com. I have some other pretty nifty houses in the pipeline.

Mark Johnson

Area 16 Homes

This house at 7139 Sharpcrest is very well done. It's obvious someone very talented has taken a standard Sharpstown floor plan and fine-tuned it to perfection. I was able to tour the house yesterday and found it is the same plan as the house I grew up in one block away but with some careful attention to detail- it's been made outstanding. Some of the fine mod details include the wonderful black glazed masonry work on both the house and the courtyard walls, textured frosted glass garage doors, some vintage light fixtures, circular pool also trimmed in the black brick (now filled and used as a planting bed), architectural style stainless steel house numbers, grid style patio squares and varying size circular step pads leading to the former pool. It was obviously a very completely decked out super deluxe mod package and it's still in excellent condition. The site is also attractive being located on a nicely maintained block on a well proportioned lot complete with majestic shade trees.

Some quick research shows the original owner, Charles Traylor Niblack, may have been an artist, having at least one work copywrited. His brother may have been architect Richard Niblack who helped design the Johnson Space Center for NASA. Richard Niblack headed the design team for the firm of Pereira and Luckman of Los Angeles, California. In addition to the Johnson Space Center, Niblack's projects included Aloha Stadium in Hawaii, the Atlantic Richfield Co. Alaska headquarters in Anchorage, The Forum in Inglewood and the 62-story First Interstate Bank Headquarters and Broadway Plaza complex in Los Angeles. The Niblack design team received 98 awards for design excellence.

Hello! I am the owner and remodeler of 7139 Sharpcrest. It is quite a gem. We are listing it at $135K starting this weekend. In my opinion, this is the best mod in Sharpstown, and certainly has the most beautiful trees, including a fantastic Rice U.-worthy live oak in the front.

Anyone interested in seeing it can contact my realtor, Karre Orton (but please, only if you are in the market for a mod) It should be up on HAR in a few days

karre@karreorton.com

My website is area16.com. I have some other pretty nifty houses in the pipeline.

Mark Johnson

Area 16 Homes

I do think there is a market for good well done, well priced mods like this one. While the more expensive Meyerland/Memorial Bend/Braeswood ones are great, a lot of the mod-appreciative audience is younger and can't afford the $400K+ jobs.

It is nice to see one done right. I have seen a couple of good mod foreclosures in Glenbrook that have been picked up by less talented house flippers and just screwed up. If this ones goes okay I don't suppose you would consider flipping one or two over there? ^_^

Thanks for the encouragement. We'll see how this one goes. To make it worthwhile, the potential mod flip has to:

....be obtainable at a pretty low sub-market price, and

....be a really special mod

A lot of mods I see strike me as kind of neat, but very dated looking ranches, or are overpriced. I loved this mod in sharpstown because it was so clean and classic looking, and had not been messed with. It has a kind of elegance you see with more high modern houses.

There isn't a ton of money to be made with a flip like this, so it has to be a house I would be happy and proud to own as a rental, in case I can't sell it. This is one of those houses.

Yes, house flipping is not for the faint of heart. I did one a couple of years ago in Glenbrook, and I won't be doing another any time soon! At that time the audience was still a lot narrower than it is today for both Glenbrook and for mods. Since then I have come across a lot more people that it would have been perfect for.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0439-1.jpg

Wow - that is a really awesome house. Congrats. If I came across a house of that caliber, I might take it on. Like I was saying, most mods are not that cool, even in Glenbrook.

One problem with Glenbrook is the distance. I'm a big loop snob/weenie. Even driving back and forth to Sharpstown was kind of a pain in the ass.

If you see a foreclosure that is languishing, but has as much potential as that house you flipped, give me heads-up.

Mark

Wow - that is a really awesome house. Congrats. If I came across a house of that caliber, I might take it on. Like I was saying, most mods are not that cool, even in Glenbrook.

One problem with Glenbrook is the distance. I'm a big loop snob/weenie. Even driving back and forth to Sharpstown was kind of a pain in the ass.

If you see a foreclosure that is languishing, but has as much potential as that house you flipped, give me heads-up.

Mark

The problem with Glenbrook is not the distance, but the perceived

distance. It suffers from "southeast side vertigo" with a lot of people. Sharpstown is a lot farther out. Glenbrook is one exit outside the loop and about 10 minutes from downtown. It is obviously farther from the Galleria area though.

Mark

Get in line buddy! ;)

I keed I keed.

Welcome to the forum.

flipper

The problem with Glenbrook is not the distance, but the perceived

distance. It suffers from "southeast side vertigo" with a lot of people. Sharpstown is a lot farther out. Glenbrook is one exit outside the loop and about 10 minutes from downtown. It is obviously farther from the Galleria area though.

I have to admit you are right. And Sharpstown is definitely further when you factor in the traffic on 59. Somehow Glenbrook seems like a mystical land in another dimension of time and space..... vertigo effect, like you said.

I do think there is a market for good well done, well priced mods like this one. While the more expensive Meyerland/Memorial Bend/Braeswood ones are great, a lot of the mod-appreciative audience is younger and can't afford the $400K+ jobs.

I'm 25 and I'm in the process of restoring a house just up the street from this one. I think you will be seeing more and more young, first time buyers who appreciate the mod style buying in areas like Sharpstown.

222.jpg

• 4 months later...

It is nice to see one done right. I have seen a couple of good mod foreclosures in Glenbrook that have been picked up by less talented house flippers and just screwed up. If this ones goes okay I don't suppose you would consider flipping one or two over there? ^_^

Amen to that. I bought a Mod in 2005 in the Braeburn area south of Sharpstown. They were already starting to work on it as a flip when I put my contract in. I stipulated that they halt all work immediately, and did my own renovation on the house before I moved in. God only knows what they'd have done to this place had I not intervened.

Actually three contracts have fallen out. My speculation is that buyers in that price range may be having trouble securing financing with current market conditions and also that the PPSF is high for that neighborhood.

What's the story on this one? I did a drive by a few months ago but it was already under contract then, I thought it was a done deal.

Archived