I might be moving to Houston from Maine

couchsong

I am not familiar with Houston in the least, but I have an opportunity to move to an area to live because of new work. It is in the Scotland Street/O'Reilly street area. Does anyone have any pics of those two streets, or could direct me to a place online that does because I have gone to Flickr.com and I have searched google for hours and can't really find photos from that area. It would be greatly appreciated. Is it a safe part of town? Other than Cleveland Park are there fun things to do? Thank you all so much, and hopefully this summer I will become a new resident of Houston.

Thanks a million.

I am not familiar with Houston in the least, but I have an opportunity to move to an area to live because of new work. It is in the Scotland Street/O'Reilly street area. Does anyone have any pics of those two streets, or could direct me to a place online that does because I have gone to Flickr.com and I have searched google for hours and can't really find photos from that area. It would be greatly appreciated. Is it a safe part of town? Other than Cleveland Park are there fun things to do? Thank you all so much, and hopefully this summer I will become a new resident of Houston.

Thanks a million.

Try the bird's eye view at maps.live.com

If you want a feel for the area, check out the threads here on the forum discussing Washington Avenue. It isn't far away.

BTW, that area of town is generally referred to as "Rice Military", "The Allen Parkway Area", or "Memorial Heights"

As far as crime goes, I'd say crime there is average, maybe slightly below average. There are pockets of unsavory looking properties over there, but they're being quickly replaced with new townhomes.

Thanks a million.

It's a transitioning area whose more troublesome days are long behind it. The new apartments there, Jackson Hill, are very nice, and townhome development has now wiped out most of the lesser housing stock.

The location is pretty strategic. You've got easy access to Memorial Drive, which is one of Houston's premier thoroughfares, and there are plenty of other parks within a short drive or walk. The next thoroughfare to the north is Washington Avenue, which is becoming a very hip area with plenty of restaurants and bars. Not too far to the east is downtown Houston; not too far to the west is the Galleria/Uptown area; south via Shepherd and Kirby is Greenway Plaza. Plenty of retail offerings and employment opportunities in all of these areas.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

You obviously wouldn't have to live in the same exact area as your work - but if you wanted to (and can afford to), you'd be in luck, as there are great neighborhoods all around. Like the others above, I suggest reading threads (and looking at photo threads) in this forum to get a good sense of the neighborhoods - you'll find lots of good information and photos. The area you mention is closest to the Washington Avenue/Rice Mililtary neighborhoods mentioned above - but is also sandwiched between the larger Heights (to the north) and Montrose (to the south) neighborhoods (separated by the bayou that you'll see on map sites, which is surrounded by parks, walking trails, etc.). All three areas will have a similar feel - residential neighborhoods featuring older (1900-1940) homes that, in many spots, are being replaced by townhouses and/or large new homes because that general area of inner-loop Houston is a hot real estate market right now. You can get a feel for some of the differences by checking out the Montrose subforum and Heights subforum (the latter will include Washington Avenue-related posts) - you might also check this subforum (Houston Photos) for photos of those neighborhoods.

As far as crime goes, the exact area you mention might have a slightly higher crime rate than some areas close by - but the Montrose/Heights area in general is not considered a high-crime area. If you look at houses in the area neighborhoods on HAR.com, you'll see that the real estate values are pretty high (for Houston) - maybe not the best way to judge comparative crime rates, but a fairly good indicator.

If you post in the Heights or Montrose forums, asking about things you enjoy doing, I'm sure people will respond and you'll find that there are lots fun things to do.

One last suggestion - if you're familiar with another large city - especially a large city in the South or on the West Coast - there are likely to be people on the forum who could tell you which neighborhoods in that city come closest in character to this part of Houston.

Good luck with the move, if it happens.

To add to that, if you're searching zip codes on har.com go for 77006 (Montrose/Midtown), 77007 (Rice Military/Washington), 77008 (Heights in the east part), 77009 (Heights in the west part), and maybe the eastern part of 77019 (parts of Hyde Park). I may have missed some but that's what I remember searching when we looked (we ended up in the Heights).

Thanks a million.

I have a townhome a few blocks north of scotland st. near cleveland park and I love the area....Honestly, it's one of the better areas in Houston as far as the mix of activities in the nearby area, bc the LOCATION is AWESOME. There are three larger sized parks east and west (this park to the west is houston's version of central park ny) of cleveland park, downtown is a three to four minute drive and all of the freeways are easily accessible, etc. This is also an area that increasingly becooming more urban.

As far as urban density (Manhattan ,boston, + other eastern cities) goes in Houston, we are a 6 on a scale of 10 (manhattan, london, etc). However, the area that surrounds Scotland St. is becoming quite dense and is closer to a 8 out of 10, its also vibrant and has a lot going on. On the opposite token, the city is a 9.5 out of 10 as far as parks, autumn, spring and winter weather and that particular area has small coffee shops, art museums, wine bars, parks, upscale living and of course mexican food.

Like others have suggested from above if you look to the bottom right of the screen and click on the box (titled "forum home"), i would check out the following n.hoods and once in the n.hoodcheck out the followong n.hoods or topics:

Heights

Going Up!

Downtown

6th Ward

(***Definitely check out Washington avenue topics w/n the heights section)

To add to that, if you're searching zip codes on har.com go for 77006 (Montrose/Midtown), 77007 (Rice Military/Washington), 77008 (Heights in the east part), 77009 (Heights in the west part), and maybe the eastern part of 77019 (parts of Hyde Park). I may have missed some but that's what I remember searching when we looked (we ended up in the Heights).

I did the same zip code search when buying for the best locations(I went 77007 also)...Camp Logan and Crestwood still have my heart.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I would like to announce that at the end of July I will be moving to Houston. Thank you for all of your help and information. This is going to be a life changing event but you have all made me feel comfortable in my decision.

See y'all soon

Well, I would like to announce that at the end of July I will be moving to Houston. Thank you for all of your help and information. This is going to be a life changing event but you have all made me feel comfortable in my decision.

See y'all soon

congrats and welcome.

See y'all soon

bring shorts

Archived