I have a 45 year old ranch in Briargrove Park (BW8 & Briar Forest). I have problems with several of the (original) aluminum windows and have been considering replacing all of them for aesthetic and energy saving purposes (have some money to spend and motivated wife...). We had a guy from Amazing Siding here yesterday proclaiming the greatness of the Renewal windows. He claimed that their composite windows were superior to the wood-clads and all other types of replacement windows. They're priced accordingly! Does anyone have any insight as to whether the Andersens are worth the price? We're planning to stay here for a while, so want to do it right, but don't want to overspend if there is a good option. Any other advice on this topic is welcome.

While we're on the topic of windows......I called one of the companies that advertized in the Chronicle almost daily about a year ago and had the guy come out to give me a pitch. He was pretty informative about the relative pros/cons amongst the different types of windows/glass, etc. but when it came time to quote price, suddenly even the cheapest $189 vinyl windows in their ad had soared to over $500 a piece. I ended up filing a BBB complaint about their bait and switch tactics, their response to the complaint was basically to quit putting their misleading ad in the paper. I'm still sitting on the fence about replacing my windows or trying to rehab the old ones. I will check up with Gulf and Basco as mentioned.

While we're on the topic of windows......I called one of the companies that advertized in the Chronicle almost daily about a year ago and had the guy come out to give me a pitch. He was pretty informative about the relative pros/cons amongst the different types of windows/glass, etc. but when it came time to quote price, suddenly even the cheapest $189 vinyl windows in their ad had soared to over $500 a piece. I ended up filing a BBB complaint about their bait and switch tactics, their response to the complaint was basically to quit putting their misleading ad in the paper. I'm still sitting on the fence about replacing my windows or trying to rehab the old ones. I will check up with Gulf and Basco as mentioned.

Scott we are over here in Wilchester/Yorkshire. We are doing the Gulf and Basco windows with the mullions inbetween the panes in the back. Pella's Dura-last wood, single hung on the front for the curb appeal. I just like the mullions on the exterior of the panes on these old houses. But to do the whole house would be like buying a lung.

We are also having EAS (Efficent Attic SOlutions) spray insulate the house to get us up to 15 inches. Still on the fence about the radiant barrier thing. BUt the windows and insulation alone should make a big difference this summer.

Scott we are over here in Wilchester/Yorkshire. We are doing the Gulf and Basco windows with the mullions inbetween the panes in the back. Pella's Dura-last wood, single hung on the front for the curb appeal. I just like the mullions on the exterior of the panes on these old houses. But to do the whole house would be like buying a lung.

We are also having EAS (Efficent Attic SOlutions) spray insulate the house to get us up to 15 inches. Still on the fence about the radiant barrier thing. BUt the windows and insulation alone should make a big difference this summer.

I had EAS do the radiant barrier spray in our attic a couple of weeks ago and they added 6" of insulation (I already had 12" but they had a 6" free special going on). I put a digital thermometer up in the attic for a week before they came and recorded the outside and attic temps. After the radiant barrier spray was put in I looked at the attic temps on days that had the same outside temp and sun, the result...about 20 degrees lower. During a 82 degree sunny day my attic would get as high as 120-125 before the spray, after the spray that same 82 degree day would only get the attic up to 95-105 degrees. I'm pleased with it because they offered a big discount for the whole thing. I have a 3000 sq ft 2 story house and for 5" of blown in insulation and the radiant barrier paint plus new baffles the total cost was $1100. I felt like that was a pretty good deal so I'm happy. The workers for EAS were professional and did a good job...no mess and they were in and out in less than 2.5 hours.

• 2 years later...

The Woodwright is the official replacement window for Andersen. It can be purchased anywhere Andersen products are sold. It can be installed by a contractor of your choice. Renewal By Andersen is a separate company that is owned by Andersn. It is marketed thru privately owned franchises that have protected territories. This windows must be installed by the franchise. The Woodwright is wood frame with fibrex (vinyl) claded to the exterior for weather protection. The RBA is an all vinyl (Fibrex) window. Fibrex is a wood composite which is a combination of vinyl (PVC) and wood pulp. The Woodwright is stronger and more attractive than the RBA. The Woodwright is approx. half the price of the RBA. The reason for this is because of the marketing. RBA has exclusive territories where no other outlet can sell them while The Woodwright is sold in multiple outlets in all areas. No competition brings higher prices not better product. In fact, this same product (RBA) is sold as The Andersen 100 in the Southwest where there are no RBA franchises. These windows compete with the low end vinyl windows from other companies.

Archived