Signs that Houston is Booming

HAIF is slow today. Let's see if this takes off at all?

What are some changes you've noticed over the past five to ten years that show Houston is really growing? It can be anything.

One for me is the number of Houston sports talk radio stations.

We went from one to four in like one or two years recently. For forever, 610 was the only one and now we have 1560, 790 and now the one that's on FM (which kind of freaks me out a little bit. I'm not used to such clarity)

Noticed anything else?

1.After being gone three year, I was shocked at the number of cars on the road. It's crazy. People honking while parked at green lights in the Galleria area, like it was Manhattan.

2.Cranes, cranes and more cranes- all over the West Side.

3. Old neighborhoods that no one would touch 5 years ago are now "HOT."

4. You now have to circle the parking lot at Randall's to find a space....any space.

Rush hour traffic is no longer at the traditional times, it's pretty much always rush hour.

The incredible amount of inner-city building, both high-density residential and commercial.

1.After being gone three year, I was shocked at the number of cars on the road. It's crazy. People honking while parked at green lights in the Galleria area, like it was Manhattan.

We could probably make a nice list of streets, roads and highways that are more congested than they used to be.

The North freeway is pretty much heavy 7 days a week. Seems like Saturdays are much much worse than before.

2920 in Spring is horrific, too.

And of course for us northern pines people, Woodlands Parkway can just be a mess.

Rush hour traffic is no longer at the traditional times, it's pretty much always rush hour.

yep, I agree.

I'm not sure if different ethnicities is a direct correlation to growth, but by walking around the Woodlands mall one could see the increased diversity. The galleria has always had that.

Another thing considering TW Mall is the store quality. Compared to five years ago, there are lots of high end stores that only showed up in places like the galleria that are now at there.

Heading out the Katy Freeway and seeing, on average, two cranes for every mile I travel.

I think that I-10 W is the Metro area with the biggest "growth." It has changed greatly in the past 5 years. McMansionization has started as well, but the lots are a little bigger so it's not quite as bad as inner loops areas.

Lots of other areas in town are shuffling and revamping existing spaces, but there really isn't anywhere to grow.

Census projections. :D

Since no one stated the obvious, I thought I would.

I'm interested in the little things that have changed, personally. I liked katedidits point about parking spaces at her/his? (sorry) grocery store.

The CVS was good too.

...because they moved here from there, of course.

I'm not sure if different ethnicities is a direct correlation to growth, but by walking around the Woodlands mall one could see the increased diversity. The galleria has always had that.

Another thing considering TW Mall is the store quality. Compared to five years ago, there are lots of high end stores that only showed up in places like the galleria that are now at there.

Memorial City is another good example. That area has changed a lot in the past five years.

I've got a good one - CVS's on every other corner. That would directly show the increased demand for "drugs".

...and Walgreens opposite them.

I've got some more:

...Pearland and Sugar Land eyeing 100,000

...all hospitals expanding, outside med center

...new sub Ds opening

and parks getting more people too.

We seem to be moving to closer to a LA-style "24/7" rush hour.

When I'm overseas, I've started seeing commercials advertising Houston. They're by airlines, Singapore Airlines and Qatar.

Back in the day, the Kroger near my mom's house was easy in, easy out. Now even at 11pm, I have to sometimes park in BFE.

If you hang out at the Galleria long enough, you can hear so many different languages being spoken. Or plain old English, but with British and Scottish accents.

The Port of Houston has to keep expanding.

More and more luxury car dealerships opening up.

That reminds me. Fort Bend and Waller counties lobbying for segments of a beltway beyond the Grand Parkway.

Really? I remember reading that Waller County officials were wanting the Westpark Tollway to turn north and be a north-south freeway through Waller County.

People buying 3 and 4 level upscale townhomes w/o a yard or private driveway and at a premium($400k+)...Pre-2000 (when many of these places where selling for less than $200k), I once said "They are nice, but I can't see Houstonians living on top of each other when they can go to the burbs and get a 2 story w/a large yard for almost half the price." Wow, how times have changed! Now, since townhomes have a lack of outdoor space...Roof top decks (often seen in cities like Chicago and NY) are being built, and most of them include outdoor kitchens and living space since there's no true winter in houston.... Pretty Impressive, and who predicted the million dollar townhome??? Sure wasn't me!

Check these out:

http://www.urbanliving.com/homefinder_more...p;mlnum=6418904

http://www.urbanliving.com/homefinder_more...p;mlnum=2454649

http://www.urbanliving.com/homefinder_more...p;mlnum=4749854

http://www.urbanliving.com/homefinder_more...p;mlnum=5960792

http://www.urbanliving.com/homefinder_more...p;mlnum=2933176

http://www.urbanliving.com/homefinder_more...p;mlnum=3983069

Here is the sign that Houston is booming:

chevron_gas_price.jpg

Hate to say it, but this was the price of gas in California almost a year ago...In Chicago it's like $4.09 for reg., so please save the complaints.

Hate to say it, but this was the price of gas in California almost a year ago...In Chicago it's like $4.09 for reg., so please save the complaints.

I'm not complaining. High gas prices fuel Houston's boom.

Archived