Steak 'N Shake Returns To Houston

I can't say for sure about the Austin SnS, but I thought they came back to Texas in the early 2000's, in the DFW suburbs first. My guess is that it is fairly new, and memebag either went when it had just opened, or he went in the '70s during SnS's first abortive foray into Texas markets.

I think I went in the late 90s. I found a blog saying they were coming to Austin in 2007, so maybe they shut down since I was there. Or maybe I dreamed it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was one in Clear Lake/Webster, on Bay Area Blvd, I believe. Also one on Westheimer, I think. I was pretty young at the time and not very cognizant of Houston geography. Others can probably answer with more accuracy.

I remember going to the one in Webster in the late 70s.

Ate at one in Tennessee a few months ago. Eh, so so. It had table service/waiters. I liked that you could get a wider selection of sides. But that whole spaghetti/chili thing. Ick. Is that a midwestern taste-treat?

But that whole spaghetti/chili thing. Ick. Is that a midwestern taste-treat?

Yes, exactly. My wife, who grew up in Iowa and spent some time in Cincinnati, always gets chili when I drag her to SnS on long car trips.

Ate at one in Tennessee a few months ago. Eh, so so. It had table service/waiters. I liked that you could get a wider selection of sides. But that whole spaghetti/chili thing. Ick. Is that a midwestern taste-treat?

The last one I went to was in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and I had the chili 5-way...never had spaghetti + chili (+ "special sauce," onions, and cheese), but it was okay...definitely seemed like a middle america thing, though

The only one I ever went to is the one that used to be on 1960 in front of Huntwick, just east of where Carrabba's is now. I don't remember it being anything special but that was a long time ago.

Great news. When traveling in known Steak 'n Shake territory (central US) I have been known to plan meals around nearby, and not so nearby, locations. Another old location in Houston was on Westheimer at Bering. The building was razed circa 1980 and eventually replaced with the current James Coney Island.

There was one in Clear Lake/Webster, on Bay Area Blvd, I believe. Also one on Westheimer, I think. I was pretty young at the time and not very cognizant of Houston geography. Others can probably answer with more accuracy.

In the mid 70s, there was one on kirby-perhaps thats the Westheimer one, but I entered it from kirby.

In the mid 70s, there was one on kirby-perhaps thats the Westheimer one, but I entered it from kirby.

No, I was thinking of the one at Bering and Westheimer when I said that. I don't remember one on Kirby but I was just a kid then and didn't know my way around Houston very much. Where on Kirby was it?

No, I was thinking of the one at Bering and Westheimer when I said that. I don't remember one on Kirby but I was just a kid then and didn't know my way around Houston very much. Where on Kirby was it?

I agree with marmer. West/Kirby in that era: SW corner - Shell station; NW corner, Avalon Drug, Buffalo Hdwe, the Groove, etc.; NE corner - Demontrond (?)/Hub Buick; SE corner - can't place it but pretty sure it wasn't SnS. I lived in Montrose for most of the 70s and went by that intersection several times a week.

There was a Steak 'n Egg/Toddle House on Westheimer, just west of Buffalo Speedway, either at Edloe or Joana as I recall. Maybe that?

The link says all the planned locations are on the far NW side - that's not going to do me any good. The only one (in Houston) I ever went to was Westheimer @ Bering - I didn't get it, didn't think the burgers were anything special, but a co-worker from St. Louis loved 'em and insisted on going there.

I seek them out when I'm traveling but at $3.50 a gallon for gas, a drive up to the 1960 area for a burger isn't on the agenda.

Cincinnati style chili is really a Greek gravy over spaghetti with very different spices than Texas chili and there's very little meat in the gravy. A 5-way includes spaghetti, 'chili,' kidney beans and onions layered with tons of grated cheese on top. You can get the chili in the freezer section of Kroger stores and see stories about the chili parlors in Cincinnati on FoodTV showing how it's served. I like to bake it until the cheese is melted and crisped a little on top (and I omit the beans, like any good Texan). A Cincinnati style chili flavored mac 'n cheese.

The chili served at SnS is really just a very bland, very tomatoe-y Texas chili, like Hormel, served over spaghetti - not really the same thing.

Chili spaghetti, Mexican spaghetti, espagheti mexicano used to be on the menus of old-style Tex-Mex restaurants like Felix and Larry's in Richmond.

Cincinnati style chili is really a Greek gravy over spaghetti with very different spices than Texas chili and there's very little meat in the gravy. A 5-way includes spaghetti, 'chili,' kidney beans and onions layered with tons of grated cheese on top. You can get the chili in the freezer section of Kroger stores and see stories about the chili parlors in Cincinnati on FoodTV showing how it's served. I like to bake it until the cheese is melted and crisped a little on top (and I omit the beans, like any good Texan). A Cincinnati style chili flavored mac 'n cheese.

It sounds like classic diner food, courtesy of Greek immigrant restauranteurs?

Brucesw:

Yes, Cincy chili is a completely different animal. One of the predominant flavors is cinnamon. My wife likes it, as she does Wendy's and SnS chili (which are different.) Basically, if it's got vegetables and is slightly spicy she likes it. Most Texas chili is a little (or a lot) too hot for her.

On the SE corner of Westheimer/Kirby back in the day, I'm thinkin... Lincoln/Mercury dealer?

This would have been in the mid 70s, and at the time I worked at Hobbit Hole on shepard between san felipe and west gray. The meateaters that worked there would sometimes go to steak and shake after shift. We would go down san felipe, and take a left, and it was on the west side of kirby, and the entrance was from kirby, but I dont remember the cross street. It was a 10-15 minute drive in the mid 70s from shepard and san felipe. It closed at some point in the 1970s, and I did not see another one till I moved to florida in 1990. I remember the burgers being remarkably good.

This would have been in the mid 70s, and at the time I worked at Hobbit Hole on shepard between san felipe and west gray. The meateaters that worked there would sometimes go to steak and shake after shift. We would go down san felipe, and take a left, and it was on the west side of kirby, and the entrance was from kirby, but I dont remember the cross street. It was a 10-15 minute drive in the mid 70s from shepard and san felipe. It closed at some point in the 1970s, and I did not see another one till I moved to florida in 1990. I remember the burgers being remarkably good.

Interesting. Just guessing but I'd think 10 mins would get you to Alabama and beyond - along where Jamail's was and House of Pies is now, maybe to Richmond. 15 mins would get you south of 59, between Westpark down to Bissonnet? I don't remember an SnS along there but I wouldn't have driven that way much, particularly S of 59 - my route to the Village would have been via Shepherd/Greenbrier. If I get to the Texas Room I'll look in some old phone books - now I want to know. The only one I ever went to (or knew about) was Westheimer @ Bering.

Interesting. Just guessing but I'd think 10 mins would get you to Alabama and beyond - along where Jamail's was and House of Pies is now, maybe to Richmond. 15 mins would get you south of 59, between Westpark down to Bissonnet? I don't remember an SnS along there but I wouldn't have driven that way much, particularly S of 59 - my route to the Village would have been via Shepherd/Greenbrier. If I get to the Texas Room I'll look in some old phone books - now I want to know. The only one I ever went to (or knew about) was Westheimer @ Bering.

End of shift would be during rush hour, around 5:15

Yes, I remember Jamails and House of Pies being along there somewhere- actually my fuzzy memory puts it between the two. but I have not been on those streets in decades. It was definately around there somewhere, because it was my first encounter with the chain- and only one for 20 years. The only other place where I could imagine it would be on buffalo speedway, between 59 and san felipe. But that would only be on the assumption that it was never on kirby which it where I remember it being.

End of shift would be during rush hour, around 5:15

Yes, I remember Jamails and House of Pies being along there somewhere- actually my fuzzy memory puts it between the two. but I have not been on those streets in decades. It was definately around there somewhere, because it was my first encounter with the chain- and only one for 20 years. The only other place where I could imagine it would be on buffalo speedway, between 59 and san felipe. But that would only be on the assumption that it was never on kirby which it where I remember it being.

Maybe it was where Beck's Prime is now.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet but Steak and Shake is finally opening a restaurant here...and it's right on 1960 just before Eldridge in front of the Target, next to the car wash. Looks like it should be open in the next month! My husband is beyond excited! They have the best burgers and shakes!! Love the Frisco Melt!

I haven't been to a Steak 'n Shake since I lived in Indianapolis... I hope they finally started accepting debit cards, it was always a pain in the rear to remember to bring cash to pay for your meal. Other than that minor annoyance, good food!

I haven't been to a Steak 'n Shake since I lived in Indianapolis... I hope they finally started accepting debit cards, it was always a pain in the rear to remember to bring cash to pay for your meal. Other than that minor annoyance, good food!

My husband got hooked on them when he lived in the Indy area too. We have to eat there whenever we travel somewhere that has one and they definitely take debit and credit now.

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet but Steak and Shake is finally opening a restaurant here...and it's right on 1960 just before Eldridge in front of the Target, next to the car wash. Looks like it should be open in the next month! My husband is beyond excited! They have the best burgers and shakes!! Love the Frisco Melt!

It has been posted. :) I, among others, have been watching this since early 2006, when it was planned for The Woodlands.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=9257

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...aded&start=

It has been posted. :) I, among others, have been watching this since early 2006, when it was planned for The Woodlands.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=9257

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...aded&start=

Wow...I need to start reading other posts. I am happy to hear that others are as excited as we are so that this place stays open!!! Next goal...another Krystal just on this side of town!!!

Heh. Just saw this in "Selling Steakburgers," a memoir by Robert Cronin, who was the president of Steak n Shake from 1971 to 1981:

A few pages later, Cronin writes:

The Westheimer location is now James Coney Island - I always thought it was.

Nothing listed on b4 for 3730 Kirby but looks like it would be right at or just south of the intersection with Richmond.

The Westheimer location is now James Coney Island - I always thought it was.

Nothing listed on b4 for 3730 Kirby but looks like it would be right at or just south of the intersection with Richmond.

Yeah. I have a friend who went there frequently and he said it was across the street from where Taco Cabana is now. There's a more upscale restaurant building there now. Miyako? Indian? not sure now.

That's about right for the Kirby location, (Other side of Kirby where the Indian place is) when the Steak N' Shake closed down the location became a Grandy's chicken place for a time, all torn down and changed over the years.

Awesome! I live in College Station, so there might be one there someday! :D

I went to Florida recently and there was a S n' S literally right behind my grandfather's home! Unfortunately, I was in Florida for a funeral, so...

Yeah. I have a friend who went there frequently and he said it was across the street from where Taco Cabana is now. There's a more upscale restaurant building there now. Miyako? Indian? not sure now.

Miyako, Cafe Red Onion and Taco Cabana are all in the 3900 block of Kirby. I'm thinking SnS was the end cap of that L-shaped center at Richmond and Kirby that's been completely redone recently (SW corner).

BTW, if you like SnS have you tried Culver's? There's one out in the Woodlands. I like it a little better actually.

Archived