Steak 'N Shake Returns To Houston

Miyako, Cafe Red Onion and Taco Cabana are all in the 3900 block of Kirby. I'm thinking SnS was the end cap of that L-shaped center at Richmond and Kirby that's been completely redone recently (SW corner).

BTW, if you like SnS have you tried Culver's? There's one out in the Woodlands. I like it a little better actually.

3730 is the northwest corner of Norfolk and Kirby. It's right next door (south) to the L-shaped center and diagonally across Kirby from the Thai restaurant and Taco Cabana. There's a mid-sized office building and parking garage there now.

I remember being very amused (or was that confused) that Houston, the Big City, had Steak & Ale, Steak n Shake, and Steak and Egg.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if i am wrong, but i grew up over on the Southeast side, and it seems to me, that there was a Steak and Shake on Broadway , close to Bellfort by Hobby Airport. Maybe i am divulging my age. It was like 32 years ago, i was about 12 years old. LOL

Its true, we drove down there. way closer to our home, instead of driving to Dallas, which we have been known to do (8 hour round trip drive) JUST FOR THOSE SKINNY FRIES AND A POT OF BEANS at Steak and Shake. YUM!! I got to go eat!! Bye!!

Its true, we drove down there. way closer to our home, instead of driving to Dallas, which we have been known to do (8 hour round trip drive) JUST FOR THOSE SKINNY FRIES AND A POT OF BEANS at Steak and Shake. YUM!! I got to go eat!! Bye!!

8 hours of driving for fast food? I went there once when I lived in Dallas and honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Maybe I'll give it one more shot based on all the feedback here - but I really don't remember it being anything special...

8 hours of driving for fast food? I went there once when I lived in Dallas and honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Maybe I'll give it one more shot based on all the feedback here - but I really don't remember it being anything special...

There used to be one on 1960,across from Greenwood Forest, in the late 70's. I remember working the grill there in my checkered pants and paper hat. They still have great shakes and the chilli is pretty good.

Yeah, yeah, Krystals this, Hardees that, blah blah blah. And I know that some people think that SnS is total crap cooked by Satan and served by surly apprentice demons. Please, please, please, someone just tell me what's going on with the one in the Woodlands that was announced in Feb '06!

I've been looking for a good listing of woodlands dining establishments and so far, I have found that Restaurants in The Woodlands has a pretty extensive listing. The site seems to be growing and has a lot of woodlands information.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently had a commenter tell me that it was already open! http://sheeats.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/wa...ith-that-shake/

Hmm... I think someone needs to go and find out for us! :ph34r:

They might have been doing some pre-opening staff training with invited customers. I was invited to one of those things here in Pearland when the first Chilis opened. All the food was free, but there were only a few menu items available. Good thing they were still working out the kinks -- it was the saltiest meal I've ever tasted.

It's now open. I went through the drive-thru, unfamiliar with the menu, but had someone right behind me, so I just got the basic #1, double steakburger meal. The burger was pretty pedestrian, small patties, but fairly juicy. Fries were cut very thin and a little cold. The chocolate shake was good though. A little underwelmed, but worth a stop in from time to time, especially if you have a hankering for a good shake.

It's now open. I went through the drive-thru, unfamiliar with the menu, but had someone right behind me, so I just got the basic #1, double steakburger meal. The burger was pretty pedestrian, small patties, but fairly juicy. Fries were cut very thin and a little cold. The chocolate shake was good though. A little underwelmed, but worth a stop in from time to time, especially if you have a hankering for a good shake.

They're open for 3hr increments for training. They open officially at 10am on Monday the 30th.

AS AN UPDATE...

There is a sign outfront of S'N'S that says we're only 5 days from opening - so that means we should be rolling on July 1. :D

They're open for 3hr increments this weekend for training and will be open full time on Monday at 10am.

I know we've talked about this before but I could not find the thread. The new Steak N shake opened on Monday at 1960 and Eldridge in front of the Target. Thought I would give them a day or two so we went today for lunch. No wait at 11:30 and the staff was everywhere. They have trainers and managers in from out of state helping to open and get the wait staff up to speed. Our waitress was a bit over eager but hey I'll take too much attention over not enough!

The burger was great! The shake was even better! I highly suggest if you eat there make sure to get a shake. I had this side by side shake where they put two flavors in one glass half and half. Never mind it tasted great, I'm still trying to figure out the physics of getting two liquids side by side.

Anyway I love this place from eating on vacation and I was not disappointed by the new place! They also have lots of old pictures of original stores in there and the uniforms are old 40's style, very down home feel.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i grew up over on the Southeast side, and it seems to me, that there was a Steak and Shake on Broadway , close to Bellfort by Hobby Airport. Maybe i am divulging my age. It was like 32 years ago, i was about 12 years old. LOL

I believe it was on Telephone just south of Belfort. It opened around 1978.

It was also the worst hamburger I ever had, reminiscent of those burgers I used to get at The Whaler in New London while in sub school up there

I know we've talked about this before but I could not find the thread. The new Steak N shake opened on Monday at 1960 and Eldridge in front of the Target. Thought I would give them a day or two so we went today for lunch. No wait at 11:30 and the staff was everywhere. They have trainers and managers in from out of state helping to open and get the wait staff up to speed. Our waitress was a bit over eager but hey I'll take too much attention over not enough!

The burger was great! The shake was even better! I highly suggest if you eat there make sure to get a shake. I had this side by side shake where they put two flavors in one glass half and half. Never mind it tasted great, I'm still trying to figure out the physics of getting two liquids side by side.

Anyway I love this place from eating on vacation and I was not disappointed by the new place! They also have lots of old pictures of original stores in there and the uniforms are old 40's style, very down home feel.

I stopped by there recently. I wasn't impressed. Fries were nearly stone cold, and needed salt. The burger I had was OK but it wasn't good enough for me to feel compelled to go back. The shake, again, good but not OMFG WOW.

So how does it compare to Beck's Prime? Culver's? Whataburger? IMO those are the three best chains operating in Houston, and Beck's is head and shoulders above any other fast food burger I've ever had.

So how does it compare to Beck's Prime? Culver's? Whataburger? IMO those are the three best chains operating in Houston, and Beck's is head and shoulders above any other fast food burger I've ever had.

My ranking would be as follows...Beck's Prime, Itty Bitty Burger Barn, Whataburger, Lankford's, Steak & Shake.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe it was where Beck's Prime is now.

I moved to Houston in 1977, and at that time worked in Greenway Plaza. I distinctly remember eating at an SnS on Kirby just north of 59 and south of Richmond (I actually think the restaurant was south of Norfolk). I remember a Jaguar dealership nearby. I also remember eating at an SnS that was on Gessner between Beechnut and 59. I have fond though faded memories of Onion Rings to die for, juicy steakburgers and milkshakes more easily devoured via spoon rather than straw. I noticed the 1960 location is on the SnS website, but hope they blanket the city with locations.

I made the 50 mile round trip today, 7-31-8 to see for myself if the restaurant really still had the "goods". IMO it was a fond trip back to 1977 and if I closed my eyes, I even felt 30 years younger for that brief moment. I had the chili, ( I like my chili with beans), a double steakburger w/cheese, and onion rings, along with a chocolate shake. I think you should skip the fries and order the onion rings. I expected something other than what my taste buds remembered, but they still tasted the same to me....great.

I did ask the manager about future expansion plans and he said the next store will probably be in Sugar Land and the Woodlands. Also sites were being scouted in Katy, and possibly Memorial City and Clear Lake. So keep the faith aficionados. After a 30 year wait you could see an SnS in your neighborhood sometime in the next year to two years.

Made a special trip yesterday to see what all the fuss is about. The place was mobbed and we had to wait 15-20 min. for a table. The chili was great. I personally like beans in my chili, although our waitress commented that the chili really isn't selling because Texans don't like the beans. Who knows... but the chili was the highlight. Unfortunately the burger and especially the fries were absolutely awful. The burger meat was overcooked beyond recognition, and the skinny fries may have been the worst fries I have ever had. Unless someone drags me, I won't be back.

I went to college in Bloomington IL. One of the first Steak and Shakes was there... more of a drive in, really back then in the 60s. I distinctly recall their 'chilli mac'... original and very good, and NOT for those with acid reflux!!!

When I moved to Houston in 1980 or so, I noticed there were many.. maybe a dozen Steak and Shake locations in the phonebooks, but all were closed. Not enough Yankees had moved down here yet, I guess. Now wherever I go, I always hope to see one, kinda like finding a White Castle, something you can't get (until now I guess) in Houston.

Some of them are good and VERY good... poorly managed ones are like any poorly managed establishment.

But someone asked how their compare to Becks Prime, etc... Like Becks, they use only SIRLOIN which is a BEEG plus from my standpoint... no mystery meet from the meat market in rolls!!! Real ground sirloin. They don't cook it up thick and juicy, but rather a little thinner.. and donner unless you request otherwise. The fries should be to die for... nice and thin... not the fresh ones like Becks.. but thin and nice.

It is a simple menu with Chili Mac... and contrary to earlier comments.. Texans like Beans in their Chilli just fine!!

SOOOO....I am going tomorrow!!!! My diet be damned!!! Cant wait!!

Will report back... give it a try sometime...they will probably get the kinks out soon enough.

PS.... as a side note, I tried several times over the last 20 years to inquire about franchise opportunities for Houston and was always told NOTYET!! I suspect whoever had the franchise back in the late 70s had hold of franchise rights for 25 years or something... because these folks would NOT franchise anyone in Houston till now!!

PS.... as a side note, I tried several times over the last 20 years to inquire about franchise opportunities for Houston and was always told NOTYET!! I suspect whoever had the franchise back in the late 70s had hold of franchise rights for 25 years or something... because these folks would NOT franchise anyone in Houston till now!!

I think the Houston area expansion was their first big failure, and it cost them a bundle. Probably they wanted to move very carefully back into the area. If you look at their Franchise Opportunities section of their website, there are lots of Texas cities listed, "pending supply chain availability."

• 2 years later...

Sorry to grave-dig but Swamplot posted a link to a HBJ article where a real estate broker said that he was working on five Steak 'n' Shake deals in the Houston area. One to open this year and four next year. The HBJ article didn't identify where; another poster in a different thread here on HAIF said she'd heard that one was coming to Pearland next to Red Lobster. Anyone have any more info about locations? I know at one time SnS was interested in The Woodlands College Park area and I've heard rumors of Cypress and Sugar Land also.

Sorry to grave-dig but Swamplot posted a link to a HBJ article where a real estate broker said that he was working on five Steak 'n' Shake deals in the Houston area. One to open this year and four next year. The HBJ article didn't identify where; another poster in a different thread here on HAIF said she'd heard that one was coming to Pearland next to Red Lobster. Anyone have any more info about locations? I know at one time SnS was interested in The Woodlands College Park area and I've heard rumors of Cypress and Sugar Land also.

Wasn't their slogan a spelling variation of "Take Home A Sack"?

• The title was changed to Steak 'N Shake Returns To Houston

Archived