Midtown/Montrose Boundary

What do people consider to be the geographical boundries of Midtown and Montrose. I always think of Montrose to be bound by Fairview to the North, Richmond to the South, Taft to the East and Shepard to the West. Midtown to me is Pierce Elevevated to the North, Elgin to the South, Taft to the West and 288 to the East. Do others consider this to be correct or am I looking at the neighborhoods wrongly. Just curious.

What do people consider to be the geographical boundries of Midtown and Montrose.    I always think of Montrose to be bound by Fairview to the North, Richmond to the South, Taft to the East and Shepard to the West.      Midtown to me is Pierce Elevevated to the North, Elgin to the South, Taft to the West and 288 to the East.    Do others consider this to be correct or am I looking at the neighborhoods wrongly.    Just curious.

The Midtown boundaries can be roughly defined as the properties south of I-45 (Pierce Elevated), west of SH 288, north of US 59 and east of Bagby Street.

I think of the Midtown/Montrose boundary as being where the street grid changes from being aligned along a straight N-S-E-W axis (Montrose) to where the streets are aligned on a diagonal against Buffalo Bayou as it goes through downtown (Midtown).

There's a triangle though between Taft, Fairview/Tuam, Bagby and W. Webster that was historically known as the "Fairgrounds Addition", which I kind of consider a no-man's land which takes characteristics of Montrose, Midtown and Freedmen's town. Today I believe this area is widely considered to be part of Midtown.

I think of the Midtown/Montrose boundary as being where the street grid changes from being aligned along a straight N-S-E-W axis (Montrose) to where the streets are aligned on a diagonal against Buffalo Bayou as it goes through downtown (Midtown).

There's a triangle  though between Taft, Fairview/Tuam, Bagby and W. Webster that was historically known as the "Fairgrounds Addition", which I kind of consider a no-man's land which takes characteristics of Montrose, Midtown and Freedmen's town.  Today I believe this area is widely considered to be part of Midtown.

I live one block outside of that area (Morgan @ W Drew). I conisder myself a Midtown resident, but in fact I am probably a Montrose resident. I guess I need to stop posting on the Midtown section. Ha Ha

I live one block outside of that area (Morgan @ W Drew).  I conisder myself a Midtown resident, but in fact I am probably a Montrose resident.  I guess I need to stop posting on the Midtown section.  Ha Ha

I used to live very close to there, at Hyde Park and Whitney. I definitely consider that "Montrose." Especially being in such close proximity to the gay bars there I've heard it referred to as "deep Montrose" :)

I used to live very close to there, at Hyde Park and Whitney.  I definitely consider that "Montrose."  Especially being in such close proximity to the gay bars there I've heard it referred to as "deep Montrose" :)

Then Deep Montrose it is. Is that good for resale or bad? I guess it depends on how conservative the buyer is.

So the southern boundry of the "Montrose Area" is Alabama? Everything from St. Thomas south is considered Museum District.

I think boundaries of Montrose are: Buffalo Bayou to the north, Shephard to the west and I-59 to the south. Eastern boundary is less clearly defined. In southern half, Spur 527 is the eastern boundary. In the northern half, the eastern boundary is just a couple of blocks east of Montrose Blvd.

Then Deep Montrose it is.  Is that good for resale or bad?  I guess it depends on how conservative the buyer is.

I didn't own property there, I just rented. I think anytime you own a house next door to a bar (regardless of gay/straight) or within a block of one it will hurt property values. There are also a few auto repair shops in the neighborhood that also affect values. Not to mention the problems with the prostitutes and drug dealers.

Nevertheless property values in general have been rising in that area despite those problems. It's not so bad in your half of the neighborhood, north of Fairview, as it was in mine.

I think boundaries of Montrose are: Buffalo Bayou to the north, Shephard to the west and I-59 to the south. Eastern boundary is less clearly defined. In southern half, Spur 527 is the eastern boundary. In the northern half, the eastern boundary is just a couple of blocks east of Montrose Blvd.

I agree on your southern boundary, US 59 is what I've always thought of it to be.

I don't see the northern boundary as much further than West Gray, except maybe between Taft & Waugh as far north as West Dallas...

I didn't own property there, I just rented.  I think anytime you own a house next door to a bar (regardless of gay/straight) or within a block of one it will hurt property values.  There are also a few auto repair shops in the neighborhood that also affect values.  Not to mention the problems with the prostitutes and drug dealers.

Nevertheless property values in general have been rising in that area despite those problems.  It's not so bad in your half of the neighborhood, north of Fairview, as it was in mine.

Well luckily I live north of Farview (two blocks in) and my area has some really nice houses. Of course I live in a Perry so my whole block is identical.

haha... here was my interpretation prior to clicking the link above

montrose15ge.jpg

i'm using Taft as my boundary at the top there... I think I may have the wrong street in the area...

I didn't own property there, I just rented.  I think anytime you own a house next door to a bar (regardless of gay/straight) or within a block of one it will hurt property values.  There are also a few auto repair shops in the neighborhood that also affect values.  Not to mention the problems with the prostitutes and drug dealers.

Nevertheless property values in general have been rising in that area despite those problems.  It's not so bad in your half of the neighborhood, north of Fairview, as it was in mine.

I think you guys are in transition zone between Midtown and Montrose. I think Standford is the eastern boundary of Montrose in that part while Bagby is the Western boundary of Midtown. So you are in an abandoned zone :P

I would imagine, however, that property values have been rising in that part too.

In another post, I mentioned that the area east of Shepard is upscale and downscale at the same time. I did some driving around in the area between Buffalo Bayou and I-59 inside the loop. The region west of Shepard is indeed all up scale. East of Shepard, it is mixed. Actually, the residential areas are mostly nice. The commercial properties on some of the main roads, however, give some parts of the area a bit of downscale feel. It seems that most of the redevelopment is for residential purpose. Old homes are being refurbished or torn down for new construction. Condos, town homes and apartment complexes are rising. However, the commercial side does not seem to be experiencing much redevelopment. So we still see liquor stores, pawn shops, auto shops and other such typical elements of a rundown area. That is why, main thoroughfares in the area such Montrose, Shepard, Richmond etc are part upscale, part shabby. Also, the neighborhoods between Montrose Blvd. and Midtown along Dallas and Gray also seem to be in transition. I guess that is Fourth Ward area. It seems therefore that, besides Midtown, that area is going to see most of the changes.

Of course, I am not too familiar with that area so those of you who live there can paint a much better picture of the region.

I guess the reason's I cut everything from St. Thomas south out of the Montrose area and call it the Museum District is because of the Menil (#1) as seen in this map:

map1.gif

LINK to museum district page

Also if you look at residences in that area around St. Thomas up on HAR they call the region Museum District. Splitting hairs I guess.

Also if you look at residences in that area around St. Thomas up on HAR they call the region Museum District. Splitting hairs I guess.

Check out the tattered old "Museum District" flag in front of Soundwaves.

A bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Check out the tattered old "Museum District" flag in front of Soundwaves.

A bit of a stretch, don't you think?

That may be bacause the Museum of Printing History is located on West Clay near Waugh Drive. I've seen people stretch the bounds of the "Museum District" that far north just to take in that museum.

IMO the official "Museum District" ends at 59, but there are other museums outside of it nearby, namely the Menil. I guess I'll always consider the Menil area as part of Montrose though. Of course all of this is just a matter of personal opinion.

• 10 years later...

I found it interesting to view this thread in light of how the TV stations currently reference  criminal activity on Tuam west of Bagby as "Midtown".

I can see why there is confusion.

North of Tuam should be labeled Midtown. Looks like both sides of Tuam are within Montrose.

Taft, north of Fairview is the western boundary of Midtown. I guess my confusion came about as Avondale eastern boundary is Brazos which leads to spur as the eastern boundary of Montrose.

a Neartown Neighborhood Map.pdf

• The title was changed to Midtown/Montrose Boundary

Archived