tcr98taws6

Is it just me or does the Times Square Shopping Center, near the south western corner of I-10 and Grand Parkway look crappy with all of the street signs out front. This is the gateway to the South Katy region with very high traffic counts and it seems every tenent is competing on the curb with temp signs to get your attention. Some even park seldom run vehicles out front with signs on them as well.

Are there no code violations taking place here? Does the landlord require permanent signs? It is a nice place, but it has the appearance of Harwin Dr. in the Sharpstown area.

Is it just me or does the Times Square Shopping Center, near the south western corner of I-10 and Grand Parkway look crappy with all of the street signs out front. This is the gateway to the South Katy region with very high traffic counts and it seems every tenent is competing on the curb with temp signs to get your attention. Some even park seldom run vehicles out front with signs on them as well.

Are there no code violations taking place here? Does the landlord require permanent signs? It is a nice place, but it has the appearance of Harwin Dr. in the Sharpstown area.

Harwin is actually far more regulated than unincorporated Harris County. Aside from bandit signs, there's not much that the County can do about excessive signage.

This area of Katy is really starting to look like crappola. The signs at Times Square are everywhere, not to mention real estate signs at the corner on 99 & 10. There is also a new strip center at the corner of Peek and 99 that is simply ghetto fabulous. Simply put, the area from 99 & 10 South to Peek road is gross.

I am seriously considering selling my house because of the current goings on in this area

I would expect a lot of sign blight at a place called 'Times Square' Shopping Center.

Welcome to the county and its vast, inexpensive land. I guess that's the price to be paid for good schools and affordable housing. They did manage to get the puppy mill people off Mason Rd, though.

I've found that removing real estate, and other inappropriate (ie all of them) signs from the public right of way is a great civic project for Boy Scouts or other groups. I used to remove them all the time in Midtown. The plastic makes great target backers at the rifle range! The people who place the signs may complain if they catch you, but there' slittle they can do, as th esigns are considere dlitter.

Rode by this eyesore again today and noticed the tenents have everything from Hot Air Balloons to Rockets launching out of trucks for advertising. Seems a computer repair service must be faultering badly as well, because that tenent wins the award for the ugliest and largest eyesore on the front lawn. He constructed his shitty sign with 2 x 4's and sheets of ripped up white paper that's flapping in the breeze. The place is the worst Katy has to offer.

Personally I would NEVER support the merchants in this complex who sport the front lawn signs.

This area of Katy is really starting to look like crappola. The signs at Times Square are everywhere, not to mention real estate signs at the corner on 99 & 10. There is also a new strip center at the corner of Peek and 99 that is simply ghetto fabulous. Simply put, the area from 99 & 10 South to Peek road is gross.

I am seriously considering selling my house because of the current goings on in this area

I think that is where the $250 million KBR headquarters is going to go. If not on that parcel, right in that area...should spruce things up a bit.

Can't believe KBR would locate near this crap. Needs to be fixed. It is a nice place, but the signs have to go. Those little homebuilder signs, too. I don't mind those big, tall ones though (like in Cinco Ranch).

There is a suburb of Fort Worth called "Mansfield, Texas", and in order to take care of those little homebuilder signs, they constructed large signs near major intersections pointing to where the homebuilders are. Much better that way.

Harwin is actually far more regulated than unincorporated Harris County. Aside from bandit signs, there's not much that the County can do about excessive signage.

How much do you think the City of Katy would have to pay in order to have everything west of the Barker Resevoir (South of I-10) in its city limits? How about the areas south of Clay and West of Barker Cypress? I wish all of this was in Katy's city limits. Then none of this signage crap would happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Good lord, it keeps getting worse. Now Allies Steakhouse, whom I've considered trying, put up a crappy sign on the feeder road that must be 25+ feet wide and constructed with a Home Depot sized load of 2x4's. So added to the hot air ballons, rockets, broken down trucks and ever other imaginable form of advertisment, I am CERTAIN I WILL NOT try Allies because I am officially boycotting any business in the sewage hole of a shopping center.

Good lord, it keeps getting worse. Now Allies Steakhouse, whom I've considered trying, put up a crappy sign on the feeder road that must be 25+ feet wide and constructed with a Home Depot sized load of 2x4's. So added to the hot air ballons, rockets, broken down trucks and ever other imaginable form of advertisment, I am CERTAIN I WILL NOT try Allies because I am officially boycotting any business in the sewage hole of a shopping center.

I noticed this sign last weekend,, and was appalled. The unincorporated areas of Katy are really starting to suck. Of course let's not forget the new apartment complex going up just South of Kingsland.

I noticed this sign last weekend,, and was appalled. The unincorporated areas of Katy are really starting to suck. Of course let's not forget the new apartment complex going up just South of Kingsland.

How about the "We Scoop Poop" signs....Yes I have noticed those apartments and just shake my head. I feel sorry for the people who will have that sight in their back yard, the people who live in Falcon Point, for years they had no back yard neighbor and now they are going to have apartments, THAT SUCKS! On another note, WHEN IS THAT HOSPITAL COMING?? I REALLY HOPE THIS PROJECT DOES NOT DIE LIKE THE GRAND DID.... :blink:

How about the "We Scoop Poop" signs....Yes I have noticed those apartments and just shake my head. I feel sorry for the people who will have that sight in their back yard, the people who live in Falcon Point, for years they had no back yard neighbor and now they are going to have apartments, THAT SUCKS! On another note, WHEN IS THAT HOSPITAL COMING?? I REALLY HOPE THIS PROJECT DOES NOT DIE LIKE THE GRAND DID.... :blink:

I'm concerened about the hospital being delayed to. My fear is that the powers that be may get a wild idea to put another apartment complex up.

I have been really close to tearing down the "we scoop poop" signs myself. All it would take is a chainsaw. Can anybody just pop a sign up right there? They spent some money on those signs...but I have been seriously considering taking them down myself.

Apparently you can put up whatever the hell you want out here.

My new 'if I win the lottery' fantasy is to go on a massive apartment building spree in unincorporated west Harris county. With thousands of signs.

:D

You would be in good company. Also, let's not forget the apartment building spree going up on the Westpark.

I wish I could remember what topic it was under but I posted awhile back that inside information told me the apartment flood was coming. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I and a few others got flamed because we thought all these apartments were not going to be good for this area. Time will tell I guess.

Funny thing is all these apartments are hoping for these hospital, etc and who knows if ST. Lukes has not put on the back burner.

From information I am getting from a couple of associates I know at KBR they may not be building their campus out here either as proposed. Course if someone who works for KBR can say more on this would be interesting but from what I was told depends on the economy and other factors. Also the fact they may be looking to relocate corporate overseas because of better tax breaks. Again though this is just what I got from a couple of people that work there.

I wish I could remember what topic it was under but I posted awhile back that inside information told me the apartment flood was coming. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I and a few others got flamed because we thought all these apartments were not going to be good for this area. Time will tell I guess.

Funny thing is all these apartments are hoping for these hospital, etc and who knows if ST. Lukes has not put on the back burner.

From information I am getting from a couple of associates I know at KBR they may not be building their campus out here either as proposed. Course if someone who works for KBR can say more on this would be interesting but from what I was told depends on the economy and other factors. Also the fact they may be looking to relocate corporate overseas because of better tax breaks. Again though this is just what I got from a couple of people that work there.

The KBR relocation is on hold indeffinately.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...=9086&st=30

This is the Houston area and those signs just show the Houston Metro is a place of Free-Enterprise, and is not a place limited by asthetics or taste. Besides, this is one of the cheapest ways to advertise. Any other way would be a waste of money. :wacko:

Yeah, this part of Katy is starting to suck. Times Square is still fun on the weekends (sometimes), to meet girls ;). But hey, this is what you get for moving out here. If Houston wasn't such a big meanie, and let Katy have these areas to incorporate, then maybe zoning would be in place and the signs would be gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Like someone else said, welcome to unincorporated Harris County.

Unincorporated areas of Fort Bend are having the same problems.

This could happen around Cinco.

And some people who bought homes with a Sugar Land address later found out it's not actually in the Sugar Land city limits, and all kinds of crappola can go up. It's sad, they thought they'd be getting the benefits of Sugar Land as far as land use restrictions and all.

I would expect a lot of sign blight at a place called 'Times Square' Shopping Center.

Welcome to the county and its vast, inexpensive land. I guess that's the price to be paid for good schools and affordable housing. They did manage to get the puppy mill people off Mason Rd, though.

We'll see how long "good schools" last. Look what happened to Spring ISD (also unincorporated Harris County). Developers allowed to do whatever and crappola apartments go up on every corner.

Fort Bend County is going to end up with the same problems if Sugar Land doesn't start annexing some more areas, especially near the airport. Already the niche developers of low-income housing have theirs sights out and are on the prowl for where they can slip in their next cleverly disguised slum (can't put lipstick on a pig though...)

The counties are going to have to start doing something about this lax regulation... else Houston will just keep sprawling further and further out...

• 1 month later...

It looks as though over the past few month the Allie's Steakhouse sign in the field between I-10 and Times Square has been "vandalized" a few times with paint and another time may have just toppled over. It is the trashiest, redneck looking sign I have seen with rough 2 x4 frame and hand-strung lighting it looks like it should be the marking the entrance to a junk-yard. Not what you really think would be appropriate for a decent steak-house. I would think the ownership would be embarassed to put something up like this.

It looks as though over the past few month the Allie's Steakhouse sign in the field between I-10 and Times Square has been "vandalized" a few times with paint and another time may have just toppled over. It is the trashiest, redneck looking sign I have seen with rough 2 x4 frame and hand-strung lighting it looks like it should be the marking the entrance to a junk-yard. Not what you really think would be appropriate for a decent steak-house. I would think the ownership would be embarassed to put something up like this.

Maybe I'm being to sensitive, but I am beyond sick of Katy, and it's we don't give a sh_t attitude. I don't care if it's unincorporated Harris County or not, this place is becoming a ghetto, and fast. Even in my hood (Governors Place south of 10)) the new home buyers are letting what were once nice homes, and yards turn into sand pits, and weed farms. My wife and I are seriously considering putting our home up for sale, biting a very expensive bullet, and moving back to the Town and Country area.

Archived