Spring-Cypress 6 Lanes

slash

Where's this supposed to be happening? On the East or West side of 249?

I know they're widening Spring-Cypress near 290 all the way to Telge. Going from 2 lanes to 4 lanes with a wide protected median.

East side of 249 will be 6 lanes with a death lane in the middle. In front of Windwood Presbyterian, the soon-to-be new high school, and beyond. I'm just wondering if they're going to attempt to have it completed before the new high school is built.

East side of 249 will be 6 lanes with a death lane in the middle. In front of Windwood Presbyterian, the soon-to-be new high school, and beyond. I'm just wondering if they're going to attempt to have it completed before the new high school is built.

Looks to be a 4 lane boulevarded road on the West side of 249.

Why does that Precinct favor the death lanes so much East of 249? 1960...Louetta (from Champion Forest to I-45)...Spring Cypress...2920

Seriously, it'd be a much safer, nicer road if they put in protected grassy medians like they do over on the other side of 249 and in Precinct 3.

I'll take boulevards over death lanes.

Looks to be a 4 lane boulevarded road on the West side of 249.

Why does that Precinct favor the death lanes so much East of 249? 1960...Louetta (from Champion Forest to I-45)...Spring Cypress...2920

Seriously, it'd be a much safer, nicer road if they put in protected grassy medians like they do over on the other side of 249 and in Precinct 3.

I'll take boulevards over death lanes.

Is there a study that says boulevards are safer? I would guess they increase rear end collisions. They definately slow down traffic.

While prettier to look at, they add to congestion. Give me a "death lane" anyday.

Here's an article in today's Chronicle discussing the "Green Medians" project slated for FM 1960:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/cyf...ws/5735469.html

Mr. Football - where was that thread about planting trees on Louetta near Blockbuster and further down Louetta closer to 249? It would be really nice to have tree-lined medians all the way from 249 to Longwood's front entrance... I remember there was some good info in that post - just can't find it.

Also, as far as the back entrance of Longwood (can you tell I live in Longwood) I wonder if they will be planting trees in the median for Huffmeister (like on Telge) when its completed. Would like to see that addressed as so many trees were clearcut on Huffmeister and its lost a lot of its natural beauty... Any thoughts on who to contact or bring up on that to get that considered?

Mr. Football - where was that thread about planting trees on Louetta near Blockbuster and further down Louetta closer to 249? It would be really nice to have tree-lined medians all the way from 249 to Longwood's front entrance... I remember there was some good info in that post - just can't find it.

Also, as far as the back entrance of Longwood (can you tell I live in Longwood) I wonder if they will be planting trees in the median for Huffmeister (like on Telge) when its completed. Would like to see that addressed as so many trees were clearcut on Huffmeister and its lost a lot of its natural beauty... Any thoughts on who to contact or bring up on that to get that considered?

I spoke to the Harris County engineers when they started this project and I still have their number. I'll send it over when I get home.

BTW, I too was worried about the loss of trees, luckily however there are still trees aplenty out there to keep that wooded look. Anyhow, the project manager for the county said Commissioner Radack likes boulevards and he wants trees planted in those boulevards. The precinct (3) actively retains trees where they can. They have a program to remove trees that can be removed and replanted, however they won't plant anything until 1-year after construction -- as that is the warranty period from the road contractor.

As I understand it, if the MUD and neighborhood group coordinates with the county they can make the decision as to what types of trees will go in there (ie. the Live Oaks on Telge). If the county plants, they'll put whatever they have in there (ie. water oaks, pines, live oaks, etc). Perhaps somebody from the Coles Crossing MUDs can enlighten us about their experience with the Telge project.

As for Louetta Blvd from 249 to Longwood, most of it is tree-lined, It would be nice to complete the stretches that aren't. I wonder if we have any posters who live in Villaggio, Hunters Valley, Gettysburg or Heatherwood? Perhaps they can bring up the issue to their local MUD? Same deal with the residents in the MUD that serves that shopping center at Grant & Louetta. I think they're both part of the Faulkey Gully MUD...perhaps also HC MUD #18.

Slash -

Where did you get the info on Spring-Cypress going to 6 lanes east of 249? I'm curious because I really doubt this to be the case.

This section of Spring Cypress was just widened from 2 lanes to 5 lanes (including the "death lane") about 4 or 5 years ago, if not more recently. I suppose that the section in front of the new high school could be widened to accomodate the new traffic to / from the HS, but it would most likely be from 249 to Old Louetta at most. The developers of Gleannloch Farms spent quite a bit of their own money to aid the precinct's road widening planning process because the ROW is narrow east of the train tracks due to the one neighborhood to the south and the large grove of pine trees to the north. (For those who have not driven this section of road, these 50' pines were planted several decades back to line the property's south boundary and are of high value to the community.)

Slash -

Where did you get the info on Spring-Cypress going to 6 lanes east of 249? I'm curious because I really doubt this to be the case.

This section of Spring Cypress was just widened from 2 lanes to 5 lanes (including the "death lane") about 4 or 5 years ago, if not more recently. I suppose that the section in front of the new high school could be widened to accomodate the new traffic to / from the HS, but it would most likely be from 249 to Old Louetta at most. The developers of Gleannloch Farms spent quite a bit of their own money to aid the precinct's road widening planning process because the ROW is narrow east of the train tracks due to the one neighborhood to the south and the large grove of pine trees to the north. (For those who have not driven this section of road, these 50' pines were planted several decades back to line the property's south boundary and are of high value to the community.)

Sounds silly, but I'd rather not say where I got the information and I understand if that makes my statements have little validity.

The metal survey stakes are already in the ground (and I believe you might still be able to see two of them sticking up right beyond the main entrance to the Windwood Church, after the ditch, if you are heading East from 249). If you have a metal detector you can find all of them a distance away from Spring-Cypress and with enough room to build lanes directly in front of the land for the new high school.

Also, if you notice, the property line for Windwood Church was moved backwards recently. The black fence is not where the original property line was drawn. It was moved back (and given to the county) since the planning of the underground drainage where the current ditch sits. The road will extend to cover the current ditch.

I have no information as to how far East this will be built. In fact, I tend to believe it is almost certain to stop prior to the R/R tracks (As you noted the pine trees in front of Gleannloch).

Archived