Hamburgers By Gourmet

overman138

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/29/2016 at 10:25 AM, Whatgives said:

You could get a sneak peek by rolling through the drive-through--that menu signage is now up.

Talked with the owner a few days ago (called the phone number listed per Google) and he was hoping to be open by Thurs or Fri of last week.  Went by at lunchtime Fri and they were stocking foodstuffs inside, but not open yet. Soft opening should be any day now, though.

Did get a shot of the drive-through menu, though--see attached.

burgersbygourmet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

That's too bad, I never got a chance to check it out. I have to think that they'd probably do better with a location inside the loop. Or maybe not, perhaps I'm overestimating the number of people who remember eating at the original locations. 

I think part of it was bad luck in choosing their location.  They opened right next door to another brand-new upscale burger place (Burger Nation), but a few months afterward so BN had a chance to build some clientele loyalty first.  I wonder if they might have done better with a little physical separation from a prime competitor.

They might also have been a tad too retro.  The ordering process was strange (manual writing on a whiteboard??) and several colleagues who ate there thought it was "dumb".  (I personally think BN's ordering process is a tedious exercise in "20 questions", and their electronic order kiosk is more like "40 questions".)  That might have colored their opinion of the place even though I don't think it had any negative affect on food prep time or accuracy.  Also, while I liked their simple and generous shoestring fries, I heard others complain that "5 Guys and Burger Nation have better fries" (thick-cut, soft-fried, skin on).  Personally, BN and 5 Guys' soggy-but-trendy fries don't do anything for me and I really liked BbG's fries, but maybe I'm in the minority there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived