Hamburgers By Gourmet

overman138

Anybody remember Burgers by Gourmet? I remember it from when I was young. I think it was located somewhere around St. Thomas. I remember the inside had a counter and might have had some kind of newsprint wallpaper. The burgers were wrapped in brown or orange paper, I think. Just a random musing. Can anyone confirm its location or supply a photo?

Anybody remember Burgers by Gourmet? I remember it from when I was young. I think it was located somewhere around St. Thomas. I remember the inside had a counter and might have had some kind of newsprint wallpaper. The burgers were wrapped in brown or orange paper, I think. Just a random musing. Can anyone confirm its location or supply a photo?

The one I used to go to was on the corner of Yoakum and W. Alabama (Southwest corner). I remember the decor as having a lot of yellow but those were the drug days of the early 70's so it might have been newsprint.

There was one down in the underground at Greenway Plaza. I have wonderful memories of running over there during Aeros games to pick up burgers, then taking them back up to the sound booth in the Summit to eat with my dad. I got to go backstage and use all the secret doors because I didn't have a ticket stub. That was a happenin' place in the late 70s.

I remember it being where you said, near an equipment rental place (ABC Rentals, I think). It seems like the burger place had brown lattice and a drive-thru.

Down the street (Alabama) on the other side of the street was a place called Jenny's Hidaway. It was a converted old house. It later became something else.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's another thread on Hamburgers by Gourmet here on HAIF. The original one was in what is now the Castle Dental building on Kirby; I first went there in September, 1970, and was blown away. The one on Alabama at Yoakum was one of the last ones and it was still there in the mid-to-late 80s - I went there often when I worked on Lovett, as did many of my co-workers.

The last one I think was on Park Place, just east of Reveille.

I went to the one in Greenway Plaza just once when I worked there and didn't like it - the patties were precooked to serve the hordes quickly and sometimes dried out and lukewarm by the time the burgers were assembled - at least the one I got the one time I went was and I wasn't turned on the sight of the big pan of pre-cooked patties.

My fav was either the cheddar cheese bacon burger or the chili cheese grilled knockwurst burger but their tacos were the best fast food crispy tacos ever.

I remember it and ate there- Yoakum on the south side of alabama. It was a small chain, and this was one of the last ones. I went by there in the 90s and it was gone.

• 1 month later...

I went to the University Of St. Thomas in the 90's and enjoyed the wonderful greasy burgers at the location where the UST Chapel of St. Basil is now. Am I wrong or were there other locations in the city?

That was the 3802 Yoakum location.

In the mid-seventies they were also at:

-1929 Allen Parkway (in this building)

-2910 Hillcroft (Vietnam Coast restaurant now?)

-5712 Kirby (Castle Dental)

-1318 Louisiana (Benihana)

-1011 Milam

I know this is a little of topic, but did Texas or the Houston area ever have White Castle, Harddes, or Ruby Tuesday?

No White Castles. In the south Krystal is the equivalent, but they're more in southeastern states. I don't ever recall seeing Hardees either in Texas. Ruby's was here though, even recently. There was one (standalone) in a Randall's parking lot in the TMC area. For some reason they tore down the relatively new building and threw up a Chic Filet. I never could figure that out.

• 4 months later...
No White Castles. In the south Krystal is the equivalent, but they're more in southeastern states. I don't ever recall seeing Hardees either in Texas. Ruby's was here though, even recently. There was one (standalone) in a Randall's parking lot in the TMC area. For some reason they tore down the relatively new building and threw up a Chic Filet. I never could figure that out.

There was a Hardees in Nacogdoches in the late 80s early 90s, but it looks like it is gone now

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I well remember the H by G on Kirby between WestU and Bissonette from 1970ish. They must have spent a fortune on antique candlestick table phones. They also met the dawn of drivethroughs head on.

That burger sauce was awesome. Never tasted anything like it anywhere else until... I assdentally recreated it around 2004. Half ketchup, half Kraft hickory smoke sauce. I had added a dollop of of the hickory BBQ sauce to a McD DblCheese with ketchup. Voila! McD by Gourmet! I keep a bottle premixed at the house now.

Cheers.

• 10 months later...

I have fond memories of their Austin location, in the basement of a building on the drag (Guadalupe St) across from the UT architecture building.  The chain in general reminded me of Hamburget Hamlet in LA, which had menu consisting mostly of hamburgers with many different topping options. 

I don't recall when the Austin location folded, but I think the building was later taken over by the Church of Scientology.

• 4 weeks later...

My car club used to meet at the one at 4715 Westheimer.  I still have an old newsletter from January, 1985 showing the address.  The building is long gone and had been replaced by a strip center.  The Grotto Ristorante occupies the approximate space.

• 1 year later...

Archived