Public input sought on renaming of Dallas' Industrial Boulevard:

We in Houston are guilty, too, of the notion that changing the name of something will help foster development. We rename our established neighborhoods into "-towns", replace normal street signs with those that have custom designs or languages representative of cultural groups that used to be there decades ago, and back in World War I even renamed German Street to Canal Street. We've done a lot of really superficial things, so I concur that Dallas hardly has a monopoly on poor taste.

Yup. As a native Houstonian, I scratched my head in the late 90s, early 00s when the renaming phenomenon got going. When the part of downtown on the other side of Pierce got named "midtown", that was one thing, but naming what we had always called "the Galleria area" "uptown" seemed cheesy and pathetic to me. Naming the area around Westheimer near the beltway "Westchase" was another cheesy thing to do.

Yup. As a native Houstonian, I scratched my head in the late 90s, early 00s when the renaming phenomenon got going. When the part of downtown on the other side of Pierce got named "midtown", that was one thing, but naming what we had always called "the Galleria area" "uptown" seemed cheesy and pathetic to me. Naming the area around Westheimer near the beltway "Westchase" was another cheesy thing to do.

the area around Westheimer and the Beltway is called Westchase because the massive development in that area is called Westchase.....but no one I ever knew from any of the subdivisions in that area ever said they were from Westchase, but they did call the development area around there Westchase or CityWest

so they would say "I live in Briargrove Park and I love it because my office is right over in Westchase or CityWest"

• 2 weeks later...

This is just SO classic!

City Council Vetoes Street Name Winner

The overwhelming winner of the street name contest was "Cesar Chavez". So, what does City Council do? Votes it down 12-3. As Jim Cramer would say...BOO-YAA! The replacement name is the inspiring "Riverfront Boulevard".

Reminds me of high school, when we voted 'Highway To Hell' as class song, and those student government clowns substituted 'Dust In The Wind'. I've hated Klein High ever since. Now, I will always associate Dallas with Klein High. :angry:

Archived