Is Eldridge Parkway Safe Apartment Area?

catfancier

Hello --

I posted here about a year ago that I was considering moving to Houston and I have...I'm living with relatives as I look for an apartment to rent. I'm a single woman and want a SAFE area/complex...and also to be within 15-20 minutes drive (preferably not on a highway) of elderly mom and relatives in Sugar Land.

I've been out with an agent 3x now to see apartments...I like a few smallish complexes on Eldridge Parkway above Westheimer... I think this is called the Energy Corridor area. I've looked at the Retreat and the Biarritz next door...address of former is 2323 Eldridge Parkway. I looked at Houston Police beat for crime stats...but I'd sure appreciate any input! The other places I've looked are Highway 6 around Voss and just north of the Sugar Land airport. Also looked at the Fairmont in Sugar Land and a few others but either didn't like or they're a tad pricey. I'm trying to keep a 1BR rent under $900, as I also want to rent a carport and of course run the AC <g>.

I've read older threads here about the "bad" neighborhoods in the city...I'm still a little unsure about the boundaries which is why I'm asking for advice. (My agent is a real newbie and doesn't know much about apartments herself...but she's trying.) My current confusion is about Briarforest...some parts seem ok, but there also seems to be a point where it's bad?

Anyway, QUICK responses would be appreciated as I'd like to make a decision very soon and be reunited with my two cats. I've already bought a car, and once I find a home then I'll look for a job...perhaps my priorities are out of whack but I need to be "settled" first. I sold my co-op apt. in NYC metro so all of this has been a real stressor ... I sure don't want to make a mistake in an apartment choice!

Thanks to you all very much!

Generally speaking, this section of the "Energy Corridor" (that is, south of Memorial to north of Westheimer, then east of Hwy 6 to west of Dairy Ashford) had a crime rate below the city average. That isn't to say that there is no crime but that it's relatively light. Specifically along that stretch of Eldridge, the rents are higher, the complexes newer and the residents a bit more affluent, as many of them are renting temporarily while they look for that new home to accompany their new gig at whichever energy company in the area.

Just to be on the safest side, though, I would tend to stay west of Enclave Parkway.

Just to be on the safest side, though, I would tend to stay west of Enclave Parkway.

And north of Westheimer, for that matter.

"Enclave" is a very apt descriptor for that area. It's surrounded on all sides by trouble, but the boundaries are pretty easily definable.

Thank you, GentlePeople!

Never mind...<g>....I put down a deposit today on a unit in Sugar Land, just over the Harris line on Highway 6. I hope they approve me; I don't have a job yet so I need the bank statements (and what I hope is a respectable savings account balance after the NYC apartment sale) to do the trick. Seems nice and quiet and I'm told several law enforcement folks live there, so that should help!

I have a good feeling about it; I was somewhat uncertain about the Eldridge Pkwy area so that's why I came here, and I think my instincts have proved out. I really do appreciate the responses, thanks again so much!!

P.S. to The Niche as I don't know how to reply to the private message -- you are SO on target!!!!!!!!! Scary almost!! That's the place!!!!!!!!!!

• The title was changed to Is Eldridge Parkway Safe Apartment Area?

Archived