HAIF - Houston's original social media

Historic Houston Theaters

Would anyone have any pictures of the inside or outside of the gulfgate cinema or maybe even a close up picture of the walkover bridge from gulfgate mall? I have seen alot of aerial photos but you can't see any details and it looks like they were taken before the cinema was built.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hancock's moved in after Piggily Wiggily moved out.  I was the original Hancock Fabrics manager that opened that store July 4th, 1974.  I had the original floor safe installed by Baker Safe & Lock

Had a chance to catch up on a few - Centre: Pastime: Bobo Lang: Globe: Don Gordon: and the Deluxe:

I worked plays at the Houston Music Theater (theater in the round, Sharpstown) in the early 1970s, doing sets and lights. I believe it was an organization set up by Chris Wilson, but I do not remember

Posted Images

Sev, if you are out and about, maybe you could run over to Galena Park, and take a few shots of the El Capitan theater. It is just north of 225 over by the Washburn tunnel.

Edited by TJones
Sev, if you are out and about, maybe you could run over to Galena Park, and take a few shots of the El Capitan theater. It is just north of 225 over by the Washburn tunnel.

The El Capitan's sister theater is the Granada. It's out Jensen near Tidwell and It's still there, I dont remember what it is now, if anything. I took a "scenic" drive out Jensen a couple of months ago and "found" it. Sorry no pics though.

There is also another old theater near the El Capitan. I think it's a shooting range now. It is in the old Pasadena downtown area..maybe on Shaw? I don't know what it was called though.

is the capitan lit up at night? i guess i'll find out tonight :)

anyhow, i read that the city of pasadena bought it and redid the front and neon hoping to turn it into a public performance hall or something like that - i guess that got scrapped :unsure:

and Diane, thanks for sharing the memories - i always love to hear people's experiences at these places :)

Edited by sevfiv
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sevfiv,

When you went out to the Epson Drive-In...Did you happen to snap some shots of the Granada theatre, near there on Jensen? I think it has the same facade as the Capitan but it says Granada where it says pasadena on the capitan.

I keep saying I am gonna go up there and take a pic but I haven't made it yet.

Gnu

Sevfiv,

When you went out to the Epson Drive-In...Did you happen to snap some shots of the Granada theatre, near there on Jensen? I think it has the same facade as the Capitan but it says Granada where it says pasadena on the capitan.

I keep saying I am gonna go up there and take a pic but I haven't made it yet.

Gnu

i didn't make it to the granada, but i plan on heading back to that area soon. i'll check it out as well as the epsom drive-in, since it was raining and i got soaked when i went :mellow: (i am surprised any of the pictures actually turned out)

Edited by sevfiv
i didn't make it to the granada, but i plan on heading back to that area soon. i'll check it out as well as the epsom drive-in, since it was raining and i got soaked when i went :mellow: (i am surprised any of the pictures actually turned out)

i know everyone appreciates your contributions! rain or shine :D

keep up the good work!

thanks!!!

the granada on jensen - the interior looked really neat through the glass doors, but the exterior was missing all the bulbs and in a pretty trashy strip mall... :closedeyes:

Great pics! The interior does look cool. I'll bet it was pretty nice in its day.

At least it didn't get gutted...yet.

Edited by gnu

Hey, the Capitan looks great!

I grew up in Pasadena and the old theater looked pretty bad at some points. The city bought the whole strip there and made the entire thing into some type of 'city services' building as well as redoing the front of the Capitan.

They did that around '95 iirc, and at my age then didn't care much about it. But I'm pretty proud of 'em for doing it now that I appreicate these type things. Pasadena did that with a few old buildings...why, I have no idea, but like I said I really appreciate it now. Wish they could have gone over to South Houston and saved the BEST building as well.

The other theater in 'old downtown' Pasadena IS the gunrange on Shaw. The range has been there as long as I remember, and I used to do odd jobs there when I was young (~14 or so, I was born in '75)

..oh, and don't forget the triple-X drive in on Red Bluff! It was a favorite bicycle destination for the older kids to sneak too when I was waaay young.

Hey, the Capitan looks great!

I grew up in Pasadena and the old theater looked pretty bad at some points. The city bought the whole strip there and made the entire thing into some type of 'city services' building as well as redoing the front of the Capitan.

They did that around '95 iirc, and at my age then didn't care much about it. But I'm pretty proud of 'em for doing it now that I appreicate these type things. Pasadena did that with a few old buildings...why, I have no idea, but like I said I really appreciate it now. Wish they could have gone over to South Houston and saved the BEST building as well.

The other theater in 'old downtown' Pasadena IS the gunrange on Shaw. The range has been there as long as I remember, and I used to do odd jobs there when I was young (~14 or so, I was born in '75)

..oh, and don't forget the triple-X drive in on Red Bluff! It was a favorite bicycle destination for the older kids to sneak too when I was waaay young.

On DriveIns.Com, a guy I graduated from high school with posted a comment about the Red Bluff Drive-In Theatre. He said that it spent its last days as an X-rated theatre and that it had a tall wooden fence around it so that people couldn't see the screen from the outside.

On DriveIns.Com, a guy I graduated from high school with posted a comment about the Red Bluff Drive-In Theatre. He said that it spent its last days as an X-rated theatre and that it had a tall wooden fence around it so that people couldn't see the screen from the outside.

You could see. I can't even fathom it having such a thing these days.

Just think how tall that "fence" would have to be to fully protect a four story screen. :blink:

Also, the fence that was there didn't completely around it. It was similar to a large aluminum boundry that auto 'junk yards' have.

Just think how tall that "fence" would have to be to fully protect a four story screen. :blink:

Also, the fence that was there didn't completely around it. It was similar to a large aluminum boundry that auto 'junk yards' have.

Oh, did you personally look over and/or through that "fence"? What movie were they showing that night, The Devil in Miss Jones? On DriveIns.Com it shows an X-rated theatre currently operating in Tyler, Texas called The Apache. It shows a photo of a small projection booth right in front of the screen. To me, it doesn't look like it would be an enjoyable experience to try to watch any movie there.

• 2 weeks later...

Having grown up in Channelview, I well remember the Brunson in Baytown. Did you know there was also a theater in Channelview called the SANJA? It opened in the late 40's and closed in the early 60's. During the segregated 50's, black patrons were only allowed into the balcony, which had its own entrance up a flight of stairs on the outside of the building. The SANJA was owned by the same theater company that owned the BRUNSON in old Goose Creek and also the BAYWAY in old Baytown. There was also a theater in Pelly. During the early 60's, I dated the daughter of the manager of the DECKER DRIVE-IN. Her name was Charm Bengtson. I think she finally got tired of me...all I ever wanted to do was go to the movies...I guess because we got in free!!

No, I meant from being on the ground on your knees or your stomach with your head underneath the bottom of the "fence" tilted towards the screen for such a long period of time.

DriveIns.Com says that there is a drive-in theatre called the Starlite open in Porter, Texas, about ten miles north of the Houston city limits on U.S. Highway 59. It currently has one screen, and a second screen is under construction. Has anyone out there been to it yet?

Its website conveys the image that it's a family theatre. So I don't think that they will need to build a fence.

Yes, I double-checked David Snyder's comment on DriveIns.Com. He did indeed say that the Red Bluff Drive-In had a tall fence (he didn't say that it was wooden).

DriveIns.Com says that there is a drive-in theatre called the Starlite open in Porter, Texas, about ten miles north of the Houston city limits on U.S. Highway 59. It currently has one screen, and a second screen is under construction. Has anyone out there been to it yet?

check this story in the Chron about the Starlite:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_4011112

• 5 months later...

i don't make it out to pasadena too often, but i noticed tonight that the capitan was all lit up...it looked fantastic, although i don't think any other restorative work has been done yet...

capnt061706.JPG

Edited by sevfiv
I wonder how the Starlite will do? If I didn't live so far away I would gladly go to it. Not necessarily for the movie, but to re-live the experiences of my youth.

I remember going to 25 cent Saturday matinees at the El Capitan in the '50's......

• 2 weeks later...
i don't make it out to pasadena too often, but i noticed tonight that the capitan was all lit up...it looked fantastic, although i don't think any other restorative work has been done yet...

capnt061706.JPG

Memories of the Capitan Theater -- ah yes I grew up in Pasadena in the 50s and that was the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night. It was built in the 1940s in that old art deco style, by the same company that built the Granada Theater out on Jensen Drive on Houston's north side. The two were practically identical in appearance and decor.

I have vivid memories of some of my adolescent "pursuits" in the balcony of the Capitan. We won't talk about the night in 1960 I was thrown out by the manager, who was very angry at me because of what I and a girl were doing up there, but let's just say that we had gone beyond necking to some "serious" groping.

The manager was so steamed he banned me from the Capitan forever, and this incident is the basis of one of my favorite stories. Ten years later, in 1970, my first wife and I were living on Houston's far south side, not far from the McClendon Triple Screen Drive In Theater on South Main at Hiram Clarke. I had to take a part time job there for a few months to make some extra money and get me and my wife through a financial tight spot, and lo and behold, guess who the projectionist at the McClendon was? The former manager of the Capitan, the same guy who threw me out and told me to never come back. We had a good laugh when I identified myself to him and we spent many good hours reminiscing about those "innocent" times at the Capitan. He told me he was surprised and pleased to know that I had amounted to something.

The movie house in the old downtown part of Pasadena on Shaw Street was the Long Theater. It was owned by the old Phil Isley theater chain, which had movie houses in a number of Texas towns. You may be interested to know that Phil Isley's daughter was a very famous movie actress. Her name was Phyllis Isley, until she moved to Hollywood and the studio changed her name to Jennifer Jones.

The Long stopped showing movies sometime in the 60s, and the building was used for other things, like an indoor gun range.

More Pasadena memories: does anybody remember that miniature golf course and trampoline park on Shaw Street about a block from the Capitan? Or Trainer's Drive-in on La Porte Rd, also about a block away, where the high school kids cruised and hung out, the same way the kids cruised and hung out at that drive-in American Grafitti? Another popular drive-in hangout was Vicki's, on South Shaver at Spencer Highway in South Houston. Vicki's was enormously popular with the high school crowd, because Pasadena was "dry" and South Houston was "wet", which means Vicki's sold beer. We could always find a college friend over 21, or someone with a fake ID to get us some beer at Vicki's. There was another drive-in on La Porte road in the shadow of old Sinclair Refinery -- it's now the Lyondell Refinery. It was also just outside the Pasadena city limits, and it also sold beer. For the life of me I can't remember the name of that drive-in.

I worked at the Red Bluff Drive-in Theater for a couple of years in the late 50s when it was still showing family movies. Oh the stories I can tell.

Edited by FilioScotia
Memories of the Capitan Theater -- ah yes I grew up in Pasadena in the 50s and that was the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night. It was built in the 1940s in that old art deco style, by the same company that built the Granada Theater out on Jensen Drive on Houston's north side. The two were practically identical in appearance and decor.

I have vivid memories of some of my adolescent "pursuits" in the balcony of the Capitan. We won't talk about the night in 1960 I was thrown out by the manager, who was very angry at me because of what I and a girl were doing up there, but let's just say that we had gone beyond necking to some "serious" groping.

The manager was so steamed he banned me from the Capitan forever, and this incident is the basis of one of my favorite stories. Ten years later, in 1970, my first wife and I were living on Houston's far south side, not far from the McClendon Triple Screen Drive In Theater on South Main at Hiram Clarke. I had to take a part time job there for a few months to make some extra money and get me and my wife through a financial tight spot, and lo and behold, guess who the projectionist at the McClendon was? The former manager of the Capitan, the same guy who threw me out and told me to never come back. We had a good laugh when I identified myself to him and we spent many good hours reminiscing about those "innocent" times at the Capitan. He told me he was surprised and pleased to know that I had amounted to something.

The movie house in the old downtown part of Pasadena on Shaw Street was the Long Theater. It was owned by the old Phil Isley theater chain, which had movie houses in a number of Texas towns. You may be interested to know that Phil Isley's daughter was a very famous movie actress. Her name was Phyllis Isley, until she moved to Hollywood and the studio changed her name to Jennifer Jones.

The Long stopped showing movies sometime in the 60s, and the building was used for other things, like an indoor gun range.

More Pasadena memories: does anybody remember that miniature golf course and trampoline park on Shaw Street about a block from the Capitan? Or Trainer's Drive-in on La Porte Rd, also about a block away, where the high school kids cruised and hung out, the same way the kids cruised and hung out at that drive-in American Grafitti? Another popular drive-in hangout was Vicki's, on South Shaver at Spencer Highway in South Houston. Vicki's was enormously popular with the high school crowd, because Pasadena was "dry" and South Houston was "wet", which means Vicki's sold beer. We could always find a college friend over 21, or someone with a fake ID to get us some beer at Vicki's. There was another drive-in on La Porte road in the shadow of old Sinclair Refinery -- it's now the Lyondell Refinery. It was also just outside the Pasadena city limits, and it also sold beer. For the life of me I can't remember the name of that drive-in.

I worked at the Red Bluff Drive-in Theater for a couple of years in the late 50s when it was still showing family movies. Oh the stories I can tell.

When I was about four or five years old, my parents and I went out one night. I fell asleep in the back seat of the car. When I awoke, I sat up and found myself staring at the big, green Sinclair dinosaur on that storage tank. Talk about something scaring a little kid!

A guy that I graduated from high school with named David Snyder posted a comment about the Red Bluff Drive-In Theatre on Drive-Ins.Com. He said that it spent its last years showing XXX-rated movies and that it had a tall fence around it so that nobody could see the screen. Someone on this forum said that he was able to see it.

If you log on to Drive-Ins.Com, you'll see where I posted some photos and microfilm newspapers ad on the Don Drive-In and the Surf Drive-In Theatres in Port Arthur and on the South Park and Showtown U.S.A. Drive-In Theatres in Beaumont.

Edited by Ashikaga
  • 2 weeks later...
Was there ever a theater that sat on the spot where Hwy. 225 ends at Broadway? If memory serves my correctly, I used to go to that theater as a young kid. I used to have a razor sharp memory, but time has dulled that razor!

i dunno. the bluebonnet theater is/was a block north of 225 on the east side of broadway.

i dunno. the bluebonnet theater is/was a block north of 225 on the east side of broadway.

You can look on CinemaTour.Com or CinemaTreasures.Org. I thought that Texas Highway 225 ended into IH-610. I didn't know that it intersected with Broadway.

I'm pretty sure that it's 225 that ends at Broadway. If you continue straight on 225 instead of getting onto 610, the highway ends at Broadway.

225 turns into lawndale at/near broadway

Edited by sevfiv
Sev, Darn you and your never ending supply of photos ! (shakes a fist at Sev.) :D

Yes, both Sevfiv and Subdude!

Yes, Markus is the one whom I was referring to when I said that someone on this forum said that you could still the the X-rated movie that was playing at the Red Bluff Drive-In Theatre even though it had a tall fence around it.

I grew up in Pasadena and on Houston's east end in the 50s and I've never heard of the Bluebonnet Theater. It must have been a very long time ago, well before my time.

However, I DO remember the old Broadway Theater, which was on the east side of Broadway, exactly one block south of where La Porte Road dead-ended at Broadway. That would also put it about three blocks north of Milby High School. The old La Porte Road is still there, and it now runs east from Broadway and merges with Lawndale about eight blocks to the east. That little eight block stretch is all that's left of a road that once ran from Broadway all the way to La Porte.

I grew up in Pasadena and on Houston's east end in the 50s and I've never heard of the Bluebonnet Theater. It must have been a very long time ago, well before my time.

However, I DO remember the old Broadway Theater, which was on the east side of Broadway, exactly one block south of where La Porte Road dead-ended at Broadway. That would also put it about three blocks north of Milby High School. The old La Porte Road is still there, and it now runs east from Broadway and merges with Lawndale about eight blocks to the east. That little eight block stretch is all that's left of a road that once ran from Broadway all the way to La Porte.

cool! that has gotta be the one sootycat remembers.

looks like it was at 1315 broadway directly across from the john st. intersection.

today that would put it smack dab in the middle of the concrete abyss that is the 225/broadway intersection.

cool! that has gotta be the one sootycat remembers.

looks like it was at 1315 broadway directly across from the john st. intersection.

today that would put it smack dab in the middle of the concrete abyss that is the 225/broadway intersection.

Back in the 1970s there was a porn theatre in Beaumont called the Sun. It was inside a converted service station and it had a tall wooden fence around it. It was renowned for showing "Deep Throat" and "The Devil in Miss Jones." The police raided it many times. It eventually closed down.

Then later there was a porn theatre in downtown Beaumont. It was simply called "Adult Movies." I was just a teenager in high school when I called and asked them what kind of movies that they showed. The man said "soft core." I asked him when he was going to show "hard core" movies. He said: "The next time that I want to go to jail."

That's the one! I was beginning to think I was remembering the wrong location. The last time I went to the movies there was around 1968 or so. I left the area and did not return until 10 yrs. or so later. I was shocked to see that the theater was gone and instead, a highway was there or maybe just in the process of being built. Thanks for the info.

The Globe at 6907 (?) Lyons still stands and is now Denver Harbor Tire Co. A retractable garage door is where the entrance used to be. The outside stairs from the balcony/projection booth are still attached (if this place was large enough to have a balcony). The vertical sign over the entrance is probably a holdover from its earlier days as a theatre.

while browsing, i found this page on texas escapes ( :wub: )

i had no idea denver harbor was known as that

http://www.texasescapes.com/Houston/Podunk...uston-Texas.htm

207kmjr.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did we forget the Houston Music Theatre in Sharpstown. Elvis, Bob Hope, The Osmonds, and more performed there during the 1970's. I don't remember when it was built. The performers used to stay at a hotel down Hwy. 59 that looked like a castle. Royal Hotel or something like that. This was the area I grew up in during the 70's so the local talk was all about the stars performing and staying at that hotel.