Historic Houston Theaters

Subdude

DriveIns.Com says that there is a drive-in theatre called the Starlite open in Porter, Texas, about ten miles north of the Houston city limits on U.S. Highway 59. It currently has one screen, and a second screen is under construction. Has anyone out there been to it yet?

check this story in the Chron about the Starlite:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_4011112

Mike Rivest's Ultimate Theatre website lists these theatres. Some of them go back as far as the 1920s. Are what housed the Kirby and the Metropolitan extant?

Ah, the movie theatres of yesteryear! My belief as to what caused many drive-in and indoor theatres to bite the dust was the invention of the VCR. Stop and think about it. I think that I could safely say that most people would rather go to Blockbuster, rent a movie and take it home and watch it instead of having to get all dressed up to go out and pay those high admission and snack prices.

Mike Rivest's Ultimate Theatre website lists these theatres. Some of them go back as far as the 1920s. Are what housed the Kirby and the Metropolitan extant?

The Lamar Hotel (which sat on the block bound by Main St, Lamar, Louisiana, & McKinney) housed the Metropolitan along with the Loews State Theatre was demolished in 82. The building that housed the Kirby, I believe, is still there. The theater no longer exists.

Edited by djrage

Ah, the movie theatres of yesteryear! My belief as to what caused many drive-in and indoor theatres to bite the dust was the invention of the VCR. Stop and think about it. I think that I could safely say that most people would rather go to Blockbuster, rent a movie and take it home and watch it instead of having to get all dressed up to go out and pay those high admission and snack prices.

I think TV had more to do with their demise, BUT,

If I was 18 again and had the same car and the same sweet thang, I'd still prefer the Drive-In on Fri/Sat night...the drive-in wasn't about movies, it was about making out...remember? Like I said in another post, if you can date the daughter of the manager and get in free...could life get any better??

I think TV had more to do with their demise, BUT,

If I was 18 again and had the same car and the same sweet thang, I'd still prefer the Drive-In on Fri/Sat night...the drive-in wasn't about movies, it was about making out...remember? Like I said in another post, if you can date the daughter of the manager and get in free...could life get any better??

That reminds me of an item that I saw in MAD magazine many years ago:

"You know you're really married when...

You go out to the drive-in theatre to actually see the movie"!

• 4 months later...
What Houston used to advertise as its theater district.

aeJun.gif

Interior of the Metropolitan Theater.

adApr.jpeg

Metropolitan Theater Exterior.

agAug.gif

Lobby of Loew's State theater, next to the Metropolitan.

ajDec.jpeg

Loew's State entrance:

agSep.jpeg

Majestic Theater, Rusk between Main and Travis.

abJan.jpeg

Delman Theater, Main at Wheeler. This was just torn down last year after a fire.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://users.ev1.net/~plhailey/hpat/calendars/1998/akClosing.jpeg[/img

It's a shame that these thetres are things of the past. I thought that most theatres now were 10 and 15 screens. But in yesterday's Chronicle I saw one that had 30 (THIRTY) screens! Have any of you ever been to that one?

There are two 30-screen theatres I'm aware of: the AMC Studio 30 on Dunvale and the AMC Gulf Pointe 30 on the Gulf Freeway at the South Belt. Both have been there for several years. I've been to Gulf Pointe once or twice, and I've been to Dunvale many, many times. Parking can be a real challenge on weekend nights.

I would think that the seating capacity in each of the 30 screens would be small, unless the building that contains all of them is big itself. I would also think that being in there would be like being in a sardine can, not being able to move around because of all of the people, etc. Am I right or wrong?

Yeah, the old (now demolished) Meyerland 8 certainly had a hell of a lot more charm than the only remaining multiplex in my immediate vicinity, the Meyer Park 16.

I remember Meypark 16 opening and we were in Awe. 16 screens. We used to drive from Briargrove Park to hit movies there. Of course we were 15-17 years old and driving was there half the fun. That place has gone downhill in the past years.

I wonder when the next generation of Movie Theaters will come online. I heard they are building a new theater in Memorial City. This will be third such try at that mall that I can remember.

I am torn on this issue. I grew up going to Theatres with 3-6 screens. I have some great memories of Briargrove 3 before it became and dollar theatre and after. When we moved to Briargrove Park we had all sorts of options. There was AMC Westchase 5, Plitt Woodlake Square 3, AMC Town & Country 6 and Also Lowes Town and Country 3. Any movie you wanted to see was at those theaters.

I can remember seeing Rocky III, Scarface (snuck in), and ET at Woodlake 3.

I can remember the narrowness of the T&C 6 Lobby. There was also a cool video game room. It probably had 6-10 video games.

I can remember in 7th grade meeting and kissing a girl at T&C 3 while viewing Revenge of the Nerds. It was my first pick up. My buddy got farther than me (2nd base if you will) and never let me live that one down. His girl was cuter as well.

I remember getting dropped off at all these theaters for an early movie and we would stay and watch 2 movies. It was a fun time.

When AMC Town and Country 12 was built across I-10 the movie experience started to shift towards bigger theaters with more choices.

Today, I enjoy the big theaters with the multiple choices, more legroom, stadium seating etc. But I would never change the memories I had of the old school 70's and 80's and theatres. I am sure some of the older people remember the theaters with one screen and thought the Town n Country 6 was a huge change.

We have Netflix so it is rare we even head to a theater anymore. Maybe 3-5 times a year. We might hit a movie tomorrow. AMC 30 / Dunvale here we come. Parking be damned.

Yes, I grew up with the one-screeners. When I was in either the fourth or the fifth grade, the Park Plaza Theatre opened in Port Arthur. It was the talk and sensation of the whole area. People would say: "That new theatre in Port Arthur has TWO screens"! I remember seeing "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen there when it first opened. But recently the wrecking ball was administered to it.

A good website to look at is "cinematour.com". On it I posted a photo of the first Village Theatre in Port Arthur. Lightning stuck it in either 1966/67 and it was rebuilt. The new one lasted until the 1980s but its roof collapsed.

"CinemaTreasures.Org" is also another good website, but at this time they are not accepting any photos.

I am torn on this issue. I grew up going to Theatres with 3-6 screens. I have some great memories of Briargrove 3 before it became and dollar theatre and after. When we moved to Briargrove Park we had all sorts of options. There was AMC Westchase 5, Plitt Woodlake Square 3, AMC Town & Country 6 and Also Lowes Town and Country 3. Any movie you wanted to see was at those theaters.

I can remember seeing Rocky III, Scarface (snuck in), and ET at Woodlake 3.

I can remember the narrowness of the T&C 6 Lobby. There was also a cool video game room. It probably had 6-10 video games.

I can remember in 7th grade meeting and kissing a girl at T&C 3 while viewing Revenge of the Nerds. It was my first pick up. My buddy got farther than me (2nd base if you will) and never let me live that one down. His girl was cuter as well.

I remember getting dropped off at all these theaters for an early movie and we would stay and watch 2 movies. It was a fun time.

When AMC Town and Country 12 was built across I-10 the movie experience started to shift towards bigger theaters with more choices.

Today, I enjoy the big theaters with the multiple choices, more legroom, stadium seating etc. But I would never change the memories I had of the old school 70's and 80's and theatres. I am sure some of the older people remember the theaters with one screen and thought the Town n Country 6 was a huge change.

We have Netflix so it is rare we even head to a theater anymore. Maybe 3-5 times a year. We might hit a movie tomorrow. AMC 30 / Dunvale here we come. Parking be damned.

Okay, here's where our similar backgrounds come into play again. LOL I definitely remember hanging out at these theatres, but am not sure I remember exactly where the Woodlake 3 was. Was this down on Westheimer near present day Melting Pot, House of Pies, Sun and Ski, etc? If so, I remember seeing Vacation there with my family - my 1st R-rated movie -LOL. Do you remember the putt-putt that used to be across the street where Toys R Us is now? I remember seeing Annie in 82 at Westchase 5 after a LONG wait to get tickets. This was only weeks/ months after waiting 2+ hours in line to see E.T. at the small theatre in the rear corner on the ice level at the Galleria. I remember the line wrapping around the rink just to get into E.T. I also remember watching movies for 50 cents on Wednesday nights at the 2 T&C theatres while my mom went to choir practice at our church. She would drop us (w/ my siblings) off to watch a movie once we were old enough that she felt safe with it. I have many memories of those theatres as a child/ young teen. In high school we often frequented the T&C 10 that now is a part of HCC north of I-10.

Do you remember the grand old style theatre at Memorial city Mall? My parents aid it burned down when I was young, but I do have several vivid memories of it. I remember the wide, grand staircases of red "velvet" carpet leading up to the theatre (s). I remember it being "fancy", but that could just be the kid eyes I remember it through. My mom remembers it being between the food court area and what used to be the fountains/ present day playarea. Did you/ anybody ever go there?

The latest trend seems to be combining movie theaters and bars/restaurants (a la the Alamo Drafthouse), giving a whole new meaning to the old phrase, "dinner and a movie." While that seems like a neat idea, there are times when I need to give my undivided attention to a movie. I'll confess that, at home, I often watch movies while I'm eating dinner. But if I miss a snippet of dialogue or a crucial scene because I'm too busy stuffing my face (or if I'm chewing too loudly) I can always rewind. Obviously, that's not an option at a movie theater.

Yes, I understand about Netflix, Blockbuster, Hollywood, etc. Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s when the VCR came out, I believed that it would result in putting all movie theatres out of business, but I was wrong. Most drive-in theatres folded, but there are still plenty of walk-ins. I based my belief that most people don't like to have to get dressed up, hire a baby sitter, to go out to a movie. If they could watch the movie at home, they would do that. I wonder where I went wrong?

I, personally, haven't been to a movie theatre since 1998. There are two reasons why I don't go to one today: 1) the high cost of admission and snacks 2) I'm getting older with physical problems; I don't want to have to go to the restroom in the middle of a movie and have to wonder what I missed. It's like someone else just said: If you're watching a movie at home on a VCR/DVD, you can pause it if Mother Nature calls (or if someone else calls on the telephone).

Okay, here's where our similar backgrounds come into play again. LOL I definitely remember hanging out at these theatres, but am not sure I remember exactly where the Woodlake 3 was. Was this down on Westheimer near present day Melting Pot, House of Pies, Sun and Ski, etc? If so, I remember seeing Vacation there with my family - my 1st R-rated movie -LOL. Do you remember the putt-putt that used to be across the street where Toys R Us is now? I remember seeing Annie in 82 at Westchase 5 after a LONG wait to get tickets. This was only weeks/ months after waiting 2+ hours in line to see E.T. at the small theatre in the rear corner on the ice level at the Galleria. I remember the line wrapping around the rink just to get into E.T. I also remember watching movies for 50 cents on Wednesday nights at the 2 T&C theatres while my mom went to choir practice at our church. She would drop us (w/ my siblings) off to watch a movie once we were old enough that she felt safe with it. I have many memories of those theatres as a child/ young teen. In high school we often frequented the T&C 10 that now is a part of HCC north of I-10.

Do you remember the grand old style theatre at Memorial city Mall? My parents aid it burned down when I was young, but I do have several vivid memories of it. I remember the wide, grand staircases of red "velvet" carpet leading up to the theatre (s). I remember it being "fancy", but that could just be the kid eyes I remember it through. My mom remembers it being between the food court area and what used to be the fountains/ present day playarea. Did you/ anybody ever go there?

You are thinking of Briargrove Three. Woodlake 3 was in Woodlake Sqaure at Gessner and Westheimer behind the Randall's. 10 or so years ago it turned into SRO and was a huge sports bar. It has floundered ever since.

I totally remember Putt Putt across from Briargrove Three. There was also a Go Kart place attached.

As for Memorial City. Your memories are correct. There was a big theater there that burned down. About 15 years there was another mutliplex built in the mall. It closed down 5 or so years ago (maybe more). I saw Dumb n Dumber there in 1996 or so. I believe they are building a new theater complex at the same location as the old one.

Was the T&C 10 or 12 Theaters. I think you are right. I was thinking 12, but 10 sounds correct. There was a Chili's and Bennigens right there too. I think both of those are gone too.

There was also a bar right next to the Theater that had a surf motif going. I remember going in at about 20 and drinking Mai Tai's.

Good Stuff.

I, personally, haven't been to a movie theatre since 1998. There are two reasons why I don't go to one today: 1) the high cost of admission and snacks 2) I'm getting older with physical problems; I don't want to have to go to the restroom in the middle of a movie and have to wonder what I missed. It's like someone else just said: If you're watching a movie at home on a VCR/DVD, you can pause it if Mother Nature calls (or if someone else calls on the telephone).

I also don't like teenagers talking through all the movies and checking their cell phones for text messages from their buddies. But I still go 3-5 times a year.

You are thinking of Briargrove Three. Woodlake 3 was in Woodlake Sqaure at Gessner and Westheimer behind the Randall's. 10 or so years ago it turned into SRO and was a huge sports bar. It has floundered ever since.

Okay, thanks! I didn't remember there being another so close to the one that was behind Benihana's. We must not have gone to the other often as it doesn't ring any bells, but I should have known from the name. Was it where Bayou Mama's club (I think that's the right one) was located in the late 80's, early 90's? We went there a few times in college and I can see how that would have been old theatres by the set up.

As for Memorial City. Your memories are correct. There was a big theater there that burned down. About 15 years there was another mutliplex built in the mall. It closed down 5 or so years ago (maybe more). I saw Dumb n Dumber there in 1996 or so. I believe they are building a new theater complex at the same location as the old one.
I went to that theatre some too growing up. I think it was 8-10 screens and has been closed probably 8-10 years (at least that's how it seems to me).
Was the T&C 10 or 12 Theaters. I think you are right. I was thinking 12, but 10 sounds correct. There was a Chili's and Bennigens right there too. I think both of those are gone too.

There was also a bar right next to the Theater that had a surf motif going. I remember going in at about 20 and drinking Mai Tai's.

It was T&C 10. We used to go there ALOT in high school. The Chili's is still there, but the Bennigan's was torn down about a year ago b/c of freeway expansion. I remember the Surf Bar too with the thatched roof.

Okay, thanks! I didn't remember there being another so close to the one that was behind Benihana's. We must not have gone to the other often as it doesn't ring any bells, but I should have known from the name. Was it where Bayou Mama's club (I think that's the right one) was located in the late 80's, early 90's? We went there a few times in college and I can see how that would have been old theatres by the set up.

I went to that theatre some too growing up. I think it was 8-10 screens and has been closed probably 8-10 years (at least that's how it seems to me).

It was T&C 10. We used to go there ALOT in high school. The Chili's is still there, but the Bennigan's was torn down about a year ago b/c of freeway expansion. I remember the Surf Bar too with the thatched roof.

Now that we have DVDs, do you think that movie theatres will eventually die a natural death?

We must not have gone to the other often as it doesn't ring any bells, but I should have known from the name. Was it where Bayou Mama's club (I think that's the right one) was located in the late 80's, early 90's?

Yes, Across from Bayou Mamma's is a class C office building. To the West of that Building was the Theatre. The building is still there so next time you are over there drive behind Hooters and you will see what I am talking about.

As for Bayou Mamma's. We went there a few times in College too. I saw KC and Sunshine Band there in 1993. I was home for the summer from College (Colorado) and remember having the greatest time. It was right when disco was making a comeback (in a nostalgic sense). We knew all the songs and got super drunk and had a ball.

Years later the placed changed ownership catered to a different crowd. A buddy of mine and I would venture in there for some fun shows. We saw Morris Day and the Time and I think we saw the Gap Band another night (or another band from the same era). It was so much fun.

Now that we have DVDs, do you think that movie theatres will eventually die a natural death?

They already have as far as I'm concerned. But cable and VCR's started all

that.. I haven't been in a theater is so long, I forgot the last time.

But I was a taping fool with the VCR's, "have a few hundred movies taped",

and am quickly falling in line with the DVD age, being I now have a burner.

I'm burning movies nearly every day, and naturally get better quality with the

DVD's than the old VHS tapes. I just recorded and burned to DVD "the shining"

tonight as an example. I was just at fry's this evening getting another 100 pack

of DVD's and the matching jeweled cases.. I burn a lot of video...

I get near HDTV quality if I watch them on my puter. I use a 21 inch monitor, and

run my res at 1600x1200. You can't hardly see the pixels at all. I go back to a

regular TV, and the pixels stick out so much that it's like a dot matrix puzzle..

I'll probably get a true HDTV TV card pretty soon. They are getting pretty

cheap. I'm using a ATI-9800pro all in wonder right now.. I edit the video before

I burn em, so cut out all the commercials etc.. You can colllect a heck of a lot of

movies just off cable TV, if you have the time to waste... :/ I've got a "sima goDVD"

video stabilizer that I use for macrovision foiling.. :)

MK

The buildings are huge. Yes, some of the auditoriums are larger than others, but they've all got stadium seating and plenty of legroom.

I just looked at the movie theatre ads in today's Chronicle. I counted the number of movies now playing at those two 30-screen theatres. They added up to less than 30. What am I missing?

I just looked at the movie theatre ads in today's Chronicle. I counted the number of movies now playing at those two 30-screen theatres. They added up to less than 30. What am I missing?

Many of the big releases play on more than one screen. Look at the times. If a movie is playing every hour but it is 2 hours long you know they are playing it on more than one screen.

i don't make it out to pasadena too often, but i noticed tonight that the capitan was all lit up...it looked fantastic, although i don't think any other restorative work has been done yet...

capnt061706.JPG

Edited by sevfiv

• 2 weeks later...
Great photos Subdude. The cool thing about old theater photos is that you can date them precisely based on what was playing, ie; "She Married Her Boss", 1935, "The Last of the Mohicans",1936 and "Parnell" June 1937.

On CinemaTour.Com, there's a good photo tour of one of those 30 screen theatres in Houston.

i don't make it out to pasadena too often, but i noticed tonight that the capitan was all lit up...it looked fantastic, although i don't think any other restorative work has been done yet...

capnt061706.JPG

Memories of the Capitan Theater -- ah yes I grew up in Pasadena in the 50s and that was the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night. It was built in the 1940s in that old art deco style, by the same company that built the Granada Theater out on Jensen Drive on Houston's north side. The two were practically identical in appearance and decor.

I have vivid memories of some of my adolescent "pursuits" in the balcony of the Capitan. We won't talk about the night in 1960 I was thrown out by the manager, who was very angry at me because of what I and a girl were doing up there, but let's just say that we had gone beyond necking to some "serious" groping.

The manager was so steamed he banned me from the Capitan forever, and this incident is the basis of one of my favorite stories. Ten years later, in 1970, my first wife and I were living on Houston's far south side, not far from the McClendon Triple Screen Drive In Theater on South Main at Hiram Clarke. I had to take a part time job there for a few months to make some extra money and get me and my wife through a financial tight spot, and lo and behold, guess who the projectionist at the McClendon was? The former manager of the Capitan, the same guy who threw me out and told me to never come back. We had a good laugh when I identified myself to him and we spent many good hours reminiscing about those "innocent" times at the Capitan. He told me he was surprised and pleased to know that I had amounted to something.

The movie house in the old downtown part of Pasadena on Shaw Street was the Long Theater. It was owned by the old Phil Isley theater chain, which had movie houses in a number of Texas towns. You may be interested to know that Phil Isley's daughter was a very famous movie actress. Her name was Phyllis Isley, until she moved to Hollywood and the studio changed her name to Jennifer Jones.

The Long stopped showing movies sometime in the 60s, and the building was used for other things, like an indoor gun range.

More Pasadena memories: does anybody remember that miniature golf course and trampoline park on Shaw Street about a block from the Capitan? Or Trainer's Drive-in on La Porte Rd, also about a block away, where the high school kids cruised and hung out, the same way the kids cruised and hung out at that drive-in American Grafitti? Another popular drive-in hangout was Vicki's, on South Shaver at Spencer Highway in South Houston. Vicki's was enormously popular with the high school crowd, because Pasadena was "dry" and South Houston was "wet", which means Vicki's sold beer. We could always find a college friend over 21, or someone with a fake ID to get us some beer at Vicki's. There was another drive-in on La Porte road in the shadow of old Sinclair Refinery -- it's now the Lyondell Refinery. It was also just outside the Pasadena city limits, and it also sold beer. For the life of me I can't remember the name of that drive-in.

I worked at the Red Bluff Drive-in Theater for a couple of years in the late 50s when it was still showing family movies. Oh the stories I can tell.

Edited by FilioScotia

Memories of the Capitan Theater -- ah yes I grew up in Pasadena in the 50s and that was the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night. It was built in the 1940s in that old art deco style, by the same company that built the Granada Theater out on Jensen Drive on Houston's north side. The two were practically identical in appearance and decor.

I have vivid memories of some of my adolescent "pursuits" in the balcony of the Capitan. We won't talk about the night in 1960 I was thrown out by the manager, who was very angry at me because of what I and a girl were doing up there, but let's just say that we had gone beyond necking to some "serious" groping.

The manager was so steamed he banned me from the Capitan forever, and this incident is the basis of one of my favorite stories. Ten years later, in 1970, my first wife and I were living on Houston's far south side, not far from the McClendon Triple Screen Drive In Theater on South Main at Hiram Clarke. I had to take a part time job there for a few months to make some extra money and get me and my wife through a financial tight spot, and lo and behold, guess who the projectionist at the McClendon was? The former manager of the Capitan, the same guy who threw me out and told me to never come back. We had a good laugh when I identified myself to him and we spent many good hours reminiscing about those "innocent" times at the Capitan. He told me he was surprised and pleased to know that I had amounted to something.

The movie house in the old downtown part of Pasadena on Shaw Street was the Long Theater. It was owned by the old Phil Isley theater chain, which had movie houses in a number of Texas towns. You may be interested to know that Phil Isley's daughter was a very famous movie actress. Her name was Phyllis Isley, until she moved to Hollywood and the studio changed her name to Jennifer Jones.

The Long stopped showing movies sometime in the 60s, and the building was used for other things, like an indoor gun range.

More Pasadena memories: does anybody remember that miniature golf course and trampoline park on Shaw Street about a block from the Capitan? Or Trainer's Drive-in on La Porte Rd, also about a block away, where the high school kids cruised and hung out, the same way the kids cruised and hung out at that drive-in American Grafitti? Another popular drive-in hangout was Vicki's, on South Shaver at Spencer Highway in South Houston. Vicki's was enormously popular with the high school crowd, because Pasadena was "dry" and South Houston was "wet", which means Vicki's sold beer. We could always find a college friend over 21, or someone with a fake ID to get us some beer at Vicki's. There was another drive-in on La Porte road in the shadow of old Sinclair Refinery -- it's now the Lyondell Refinery. It was also just outside the Pasadena city limits, and it also sold beer. For the life of me I can't remember the name of that drive-in.

I worked at the Red Bluff Drive-in Theater for a couple of years in the late 50s when it was still showing family movies. Oh the stories I can tell.

When I was about four or five years old, my parents and I went out one night. I fell asleep in the back seat of the car. When I awoke, I sat up and found myself staring at the big, green Sinclair dinosaur on that storage tank. Talk about something scaring a little kid!

A guy that I graduated from high school with named David Snyder posted a comment about the Red Bluff Drive-In Theatre on Drive-Ins.Com. He said that it spent its last years showing XXX-rated movies and that it had a tall fence around it so that nobody could see the screen. Someone on this forum said that he was able to see it.

If you log on to Drive-Ins.Com, you'll see where I posted some photos and microfilm newspapers ad on the Don Drive-In and the Surf Drive-In Theatres in Port Arthur and on the South Park and Showtown U.S.A. Drive-In Theatres in Beaumont.

Edited by Ashikaga

• 2 weeks later...