Meadowcreek Village Mod

rps324

Anyone that peruses HAR much sooner or later learns how to "decipher" some of the poorly done photos on there. This mod house was one that IMO does not have pics that even begin to capture it, and it could easily be missed by anyone out there looking for something like that. At $189,900 its very affordable.

It backs up to a huge wooded ravine lot that has "greened out" since I took a couple of pics, which are not all that great either, but give a little better idea. It's a really cool setting.

This one is real unusual. It has multiple levels, a raised entry, then a few steps down to the main living area, a couple back up to a dining area, the master has about 4 steps down and a separate set of steps up to a vanity/bath area with a sunken tub overlooking a private garden. There is a spiral stair case to a loft room. It is in a nice section of Meadowcreek Village too.

Peach Creek listing

I had a couple of other photos.

You can see how it has a really nice wooded setting from the dining room

P3090006.jpg

Here is one facing the back before everything turned green, it looks a lot better now, but you get the idea...

P3090019.jpg

This one shows the steps at the far left that come from the hall into the master, then the raised area is the dressing area and bath just beyond.

P3090011.jpg

I am betting this one will go unnoticed, so I thought I would share in case anyone is looking. This one might be worth checking out. Flooring, as is often the case, is a bit of an issue. Why people can't pick one tile and go with it is beyond me, but it changes patterns in the different spaces downstairs. I hate that.

Let me put in a plug for Meadowcreek Village, which I'd never heard of before RPS began showing me houses on the East Side. I moved here in January, and really like it. The Peach Creek house has one of the neighborhood's big lots -- the ones that that back up to a creek or Berry Bayou. To me, those lots seem seriously underappreciated (and thus, hallelujah, underpriced).

Berry Bayou was "channelized" back in the '60s, around the time Meadowcreek Village was developed. But it's only paved in a few spots, and is full of wildlife. Ducks waddle down Forest Oaks Blvd., and on Laurel Creek Way, the trees are full of egrets. My kids like to haul stale tortillas to the Forest Oaks bridge and throw pieces to the turtles in the bayou. Most are cute little box turtles. But some are enormous, ancient-looking things, like sea turtles that took a wrong turn.

The house on Peach Creek appears to back up to one of the bayou's tributaries, so the water near that ravine is probably even cleaner. (Like almost every body of water near human beings, Berry Bayou suffers from E. coli.)

I haven't looked up the Peach Creek house's flood info, but several houses I've checked here aren't in the flood plain. My property line goes smack to the center of the bayou -- so technically, my lot includes both the 500-year and 100-year flood plains. But since my house itself isn't in either of those, I don't pay that hefty premium for flood insurance.

The neighborhood is sweet. People wave to me, and kids ride their bikes to the park (though from the Peach Creek house, they'd have to cross busy Allendale). This weekend, our 71-year-old neighbor not only loaned my husband his ladder but came out to help tinker with the trellis.

The neighborhood's front-yard aesthetics reflect the residents: a little high-end modernism (I've been admiring the yard that I think belongs to Karen from Mod Pod), but way more garden gnomes and Virgin Mary bird baths.

The schools are a drawback -- the stats I saw recently in the Chronicle were appalling -- but my kids were already in magnet schools before we moved, so they've just stayed in the same ones.

The bottom line: It's a good place.

• 4 years later...

I haven't looked up the Peach Creek house's flood info, but several houses I've checked here aren't in the flood plain. My property line goes smack to the center of the bayou -- so technically, my lot includes both the 500-year and 100-year flood plains. But since my house itself isn't in either of those, I don't pay that hefty premium for flood insurance.

I am looking to buy a house in Meadowcreek Village. AFAIK the flood district/state/county owns the land from the center of the bayou (Berry Creek) out to about 100 feet or so. Does your survey/appraisal state that you own this land?

Archived