FM 518 Expansion West Of Highway 288

Timnwendy

It looks like the expansion of 518 west of Kirby Dr is making slow but steady progress.

I am not sure, but it seems like this might be done in stages. For example, the current activity seems to be going on between Kirby and Half Moon Bay/Southern Trails Drive. Not much west of that yet. What I'm seeing is the big drain pipes are laid and buried, and a line of new power poles now stand about 30-40 feet behind the existing ones. Maybe when they hook those up and take down the old poles, we can expect to see the actual widening begin.

The widening can't start too soon, in my opinion. I've only been driving west on 518 steadily for a couple of weeks now, and I'm already weary of the Speed Racer mentality, as folks race and jockey to see who can be first to the narrow part of the road.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim,

Thanks for the update. I've been down to Southern Trails a few times in the past few weeks, but I didn't notice the poles and the pipes. It's going to be so much better when the road is finally widened.

Also it seems that the Pearland Town Center is coming along nicely. Who knows if it really will open July.

Have you moved into your place yet? How do you like it?

(We may close on a house there within a months).

• 2 weeks later...
...and a line of new power poles now stand about 30-40 feet behind the existing ones. ...

The new poles are now pretty close to the front lakes. Do you know if they will be taking any of the space at the front of the neighborhood? Seems like it could affect the entrance (Not that I am a big fan of those bricks that rumble my car everytime I go visit).

Councilman Kevin Cole explained it like this:

We've got six lanes of Broadway that's been constructed all the way from 288 to Kirby to help with the traffic volume. It's brand-new.
The rest of the roadway will be under construction shortly - four lanes divided all the way to FM 521 heading west.

- From the Chron's Inside Pearland blog.

Also, they've strung wires onto the poles and have moved Southern Trail's flagpoles back a few feet.

Also, they've strung wires onto the poles and have moved Southern Trail's flagpoles back a few feet.

I hadn't noticed the flagpoles had been moved. I'm also not a big fan of the cobblestone bridge at the entrance, but I suspect this road-widening won't affect it very much.

It will be great when 518 connects all the way to 521! :)

Call me a pessimist if you like. I don't think four lanes will suffice with time. When the town center opens and all of Teal Run and Fresno come to shop, plus when the rest of Shadow Creek opens, 518 west of 288 will just be like 518 east of 288. And I think this will happen in less than 2 years. Looks like Shadow Creek Ranch will be boxed north, south, east with retail, apartments, retail, retail etc.

Call me a pessimist if you like. I don't think four lanes will suffice with time. When the town center opens and all of Teal Run and Fresno come to shop, plus when the rest of Shadow Creek opens, 518 west of 288 will just be like 518 east of 288. And I think this will happen in less than 2 years. Looks like Shadow Creek Ranch will be boxed north, south, east with retail, apartments, retail, retail etc.

ITA. It will be a mess.

Yikes, you may be right. I hadn't thought about that. I guess alot depends on the success of all the new retail in west Pearland. It seems possible alot of the Fresno and Teal Run folks will continue to shop at all the retail along Hwy 6 (more going in there all the time). Taking that 6-lane highway might be preferable to driving the FMs over to west Pearland.

• 1 month later...

This road-widening project has taken off in a big way this week. The entire stretch of 518 between Kirby and Kingsley is now a work zone with a 35mph speed limit (posted).

I just drove through there and saw one of Pearland's Finest sitting along the road with his radar gun, so everybody be careful and slow down!

• 2 months later...

There is a computerized roadsign along the stretch of 518 between Kirby and Kingsley that says "road closed, Sept 8 thru Oct 8". I am not sure which part this refers to, but they might be closing this whole stretch of road. I presume the crossing at Southern Trails drive to Half Moon Bay will still be open. Well, we'll know on Monday...

There is a computerized roadsign along the stretch of 518 between Kirby and Kingsley that says "road closed, Sept 8 thru Oct 8". I am not sure which part this refers to, but they might be closing this whole stretch of road. I presume the crossing at Southern Trails drive to Half Moon Bay will still be open. Well, we'll know on Monday...

I understand that it will be closed between Half Moon Bay/ST Drive to Kingsley, so that they can work on the portion that crosses CR48.

The tricky part is that the detour will affect both SCR & ST. If you need south Kingsley you will have to go through ST all the way to CR48 and if you are going to north Kingsley, you have to enter SCR to the Clear Lake Loop and then connect to Kingsley.

I understand that it will be closed between Half Moon Bay/ST Drive to Kingsley, so that they can work on the portion that crosses CR48.

The tricky part is that the detour will affect both SCR & ST. If you need south Kingsley you will have to go through ST all the way to CR48 and if you are going to north Kingsley, you have to enter SCR to the Clear Lake Loop and then connect to Kingsley.

Thanks for the update. And you are right about the detour, they will channel traffic through Southern Trails Drive. My house borders that street and I can look out my window and see the big temporary detour signs they have erected along it, just north of the rec center.

Chamo was exactly right on this, 518 now ends at Half Moon Bay/ST Drive.

From the city of Pearland:

"Please be advised of the following road closure information. We apologize in advance

for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you.

INTERSECTION CLOSURE / DETOUR INFORMATION:

The intersection of Broadway at Kingsley will be closed from September 8 to October

1 for pavement reconstruction and utility installation. This closure will require

traffic to be detoured by way of Southern Trails Drive from the South and Trinity

Bay Drive to S. Clear Lake Loop then to Half Moon Bay from the North. This is a

closure to through traffic. Local traffic will be allowed.

Please be advised to expect delays. Please continue to watch speed and exercise

caution along detour routes, as construction continues."

I hadn't noticed the flagpoles had been moved. I'm also not a big fan of the cobblestone bridge at the entrance, but I suspect this road-widening won't affect it very much.

It will be great when 518 connects all the way to 521! :)

Yep, the garbage trucks and hazmat haulers can't wait. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The old stretch of 518 between Half Moon Bay/ST Drive and Kirby has been closed. Traffic is now diverted to use the brand new stretch of 518 that was laid between those intersections.

The new stretch of road seems nice, although I'm not sure of it's drainage. I didn't see a reassuring number of storm drains...

The old stretch of 518 between Half Moon Bay/ST Drive and Kirby has been closed. Traffic is now diverted to use the brand new stretch of 518 that was laid between those intersections.

The new stretch of road seems nice, although I'm not sure of it's drainage. I didn't see a reassuring number of storm drains...

I think I drove past in the afternoon after Ike and water was not on the new road, only in the dirt area to the south of 518, east of southern trails. It was pooling back there but the road itself was ok.

I think I drove past in the afternoon after Ike and water was not on the new road, only in the dirt area to the south of 518, east of southern trails. It was pooling back there but the road itself was ok.

Good to know. I do see the storm drains along the stretch of new road, and I can detect the slopes built into it to channel the water to them, I'm just worried there aren't enough of them. Hopefully, the rains of Ike were a good test.

Many of you know that the current construction on west 518 has placed stop signs at the intersection of 518/Half Moon Bay/Southern Trails Drive. It occurred to me that stopping there is probably good practice for us, since eventually a stop light will go up at that intersection. (At least, that is what Ashton Woods told us at our HOA meeting last month.)

Many of you know that the current construction on west 518 has placed stop signs at the intersection of 518/Half Moon Bay/Southern Trails Drive. It occurred to me that stopping there is probably good practice for us, since eventually a stop light will go up at that intersection. (At least, that is what Ashton Woods told us at our HOA meeting last month.)

I would guess that stoplights at 518/southern trails drive and at 518/kingsley will be part of the construction effort. At least, I would hope it is. I doubt they lost too much time due to Ike so they should still be on track to finish before Christmas. I haven't taken a bike ride recently to see how the progress is doing on the new stretch of 518 west of Kingsley, however. Last I saw, they were working hard near the new intersection of Windward Bay (SCR side) with 518.

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to a Pearland Police officer last night (he attended the NNO event on my street), and he said he thought the current detour on 518 between Kingsley and Southern Trails Drive would remain in effect for at least another week. So if he's right, it will be more like Oct. 15th that the detour ends and 518 is opened up again all the way to Kingsley. If he's wrong, we should see it open tomorrow (Oct. 8th).

I was talking to a Pearland Police officer last night (he attended the NNO event on my street), and he said he thought the current detour on 518 between Kingsley and Southern Trails Drive would remain in effect for at least another week. So if he's right, it will be more like Oct. 15th that the detour ends and 518 is opened up again all the way to Kingsley. If he's wrong, we should see it open tomorrow (Oct. 8th).

I think they changed the digital sign from Sept 8 - Oct 8 to Sept - 8 - Oct 13. Ike had to delay their plans at least a week as you say.

Today they stopped the detour and opened 518 all the way to Kingsley.

Looking good..... I saw that they are clearing half the corner lot at 518 @ Half Moon Bay. They always showed as a future school, but maybe they are dividing the lot for some reason; time will tell.

Looking good..... I saw that they are clearing half the corner lot at 518 @ Half Moon Bay. They always showed as a future school, but maybe they are dividing the lot for some reason; time will tell.

I guess that has to be the northwest corner you are referring to, right?

Archived