Downtown Night Life Market

houstonsemipro

This article leaves me with a lot of questions. First, does Houston believe it can get as many conventions as say Las Vegas, San Antonio, Orlando, or San Diego? We built this huge convention center and add thousands of new hotel rooms, now what? Well, we have to try and fill the GRB and the hotels. In order to do that, though, Houston has to offer more.

Sure we're making strides in downtown's revitalization, but it needs much more to compete with the first tier cities. The artice pointed out that business travelers want "fluff" in the city they travel to. I agree, who wants to go to a convention in Detroit? Well, many still view Houston in a similar light.

I want to ask Jordy what the city's plan was following the convention center expansion and the explosion of new hotels? They MUST have seen this coming.

Frankly, Houston doesn't have enough to draw tourists. It is much better than it used to be, but it still needs a well-rounded destination center in order to draw visitors. I think many of us agree downtown is it. Well, what can downtown offer tourists right now? They can catch a ball game and have dinner and drinks. They can go to the aquarium. Then what? There are no museums, virtually no shopping, no real attractions. No one wants to spend their trip driving all over a city looking for something to do. Downtown needs more entertainment, more attractions, way more shopping, and, most importantly for all this to occur, more residential. Downtown will get there, but it might be too late for some of these hotels. It's a shame because that fact will cast a shadow over the progress the city center has made.

It does seem like Houston is somewhat stagnant. I can't help but think that much of this is related back to Houston's inability to draw it's own suburban residents into the downtown attractions built. If people in Sugarland don't buy in...then why will people in remote parts of the country be interested?

For someone staying in a hotel in downtown w/o a rental car...the idea of spending a bunch of money to go to the Galleria isn't all that attractive...after all, it is just a mall. Where do they go? What do they do?

The city doesn't promote downtown to it's own people and taxpayers...why not start there?

Cinco,

You asked: What' major conventions does San Antonio bring?

You're joking, right? San Antonio is a major, major, major, major convention city. It has a dense core with lots of attractions, which makes it easy for people to walk around.

Personally, I find San Antonio dull as dirt. But it's a major convention city.

• 3 weeks later...

I took after taking the train to the med center, I decided to take a quick trip to downtown to see what all was happening. I was there briefly for a bite of pizza and seemed like there wasn't that much activity downtown. What's up with that? I was there at about 8-9pm, so I figured it was early, did it get busier as the night went along?

I did notice how COOL (Temperature wise) and people seemed to dress appropriately.

Ricco

I took after taking the train to the med center, I decided to take a quick trip to downtown to see what all was happening.  I was there briefly for a bite of pizza and seemed like there wasn't that much activity downtown.  What's up with that?  I was there at about 8-9pm, so I figured it was early, did it get busier as the night went along?

I did notice how COOL (Temperature wise) and peoploe seemed to dress appropriately.

Ricco

Interesting. A friend and I went down at about 9.15 to get pictures, and it was really quiet down there. By the time we left at 10.30, it was still unusually empty.

Interesting.  A friend and I went down at about 9.15 to get pictures, and it was really quiet down there.  By the time we left at 10.30, it was still unusually empty.

What they should do is have "AFFORDABLE" residential living around Downtown. Compared to SF, NY, Chicago...etc.. you want a diverse status group residing in Downtown. That makes a city. Most people who can afford the high rises, homes in downtown, would rather drive to Galleria to spend their money.

• 3 months later...

I think that everyone realizes that downtown Houston could better pronounce itself at night. I know this might seem like a worthless topic but its something i feel pretty strong about. If so, what buildings do you think does Houston downtown skyline no justice at all at night? My picks are: The Chevron Tower with the white stripe lights surounding the top, BOA, Chase Tower, Houston Centers 1 &2. I would say the Exxon Mobil building but at least they added some color to their lighting the rooftop with blue as opposed to white lighting which makes the skyline appear more fashionalble. I only say Houston needs better pronounciation at night downtown because everytime i visit Dallas or even Austin i grow a tad more envious each time at their lighting techniques for their skylines at night. Why can't Houston get on the ball? It's a great vibrant city that could stand to present itself in a more exciting presentable way.

Having had a downtown view for a number of years, I could have sworn we did a better job of lighting buildings pre-9/11.

Afterwards, we never got our groove back from what I could tell. And there is a differnce between putting lights on a building vs. projecting them at a building. But I digress.

Maybe I'm tripping. But I'll never forget the sound of fighter jets patroling downtown the week after 9/11. Hearing low-flying jets during the flight ban at 4am was surreal.

I think that everyone realizes that downtown Houston could better pronounce itself at night. I know this might seem like a worthless topic but its something i feel pretty strong about. If so, what buildings do you think does Houston downtown skyline no justice at all at night? My picks are: The Chevron Tower with the white stripe lights surounding the top, BOA, Chase Tower, Houston Centers 1 &2. I would say the Exxon Mobil building but at least they added some color to their lighting the rooftop with blue as opposed to white lighting which makes the skyline appear more fashionalble. I only say Houston needs better pronounciation at night downtown because everytime i visit Dallas or even  Austin i grow a tad more envious each time at their lighting techniques for their skylines at night. Why can't Houston get on the ball? It's a great vibrant city that could stand to present itself in a more exciting presentable way.

I guess it's a question of personal preference. A lot of people here want a better-lit skyline, but a lot of others find it "tacky" or glitzy (especially the Wedge building). Should we allow commercial signage (eg Continental or the Hilton)? Should all the lighting be white as has usually been the case? Should whole buildings be lit, or just a band of lights on the roofline? Heck if I know.

If you look at nighttime photos of downtown in the 1960s a lot of buildings had the major tenant's name in lights on top, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of purely decorative lighting like you see now.

What's surreal was making 3 calls a day for anthrax scares for about 2 weeks until everyone got the fear out of their system.

That, and flipping channels at the firestation, only to land on CNN and watch the second plane hit for the first time - LIVE - and knowing it was Bin Laden before the news even realized that it was a second plane that had just hit...

I had barely moved back to Houston from NJ when that happened. I saw the 2nd plane hit live as well and almost fell over. Not as if the general shock and gravity of the moment wasn't enough, but the fact that I knew people that worked there, that used the PATH and Subway stations there, I used to date a girl who worked for Larry Silverstein as an Exec.Assistant. In addition I was a member of the volunteer EMS corp in Hoboken, about 1.2 miles away from the WTC and I knew several FDNY, NYPD and even more Port Authority staff. It was a tough thing for me. I haven't been back to NYC since that happened, but I can't imagine the view when coming out of the tunnel heading toward the Holland tunnel and not seeing the WTC there.

Sorry for the off-topic but you guys got me going down memory lane.

I also caught the second plane crash. Was very surreal. I lost both my uncle, Battalion Chief Matty Ryan, FDNY Manhattan, Battalion 1

888876.jpg

and my High School roomate, Mark Bingham, in flight 93.

s014.jpg

Messed up.

I was still in shock when a month later we lost that fire captain here in Houston at the Four Leaf fire.

I think downtown Houston has a lot of potential. I like what they did with Main Street as far as lights and glitz go. They just need to keep it going. Wells Fargo Plaza is decently lit up at night. Oh why did they have to start back with the Chase Tower lighting? it seems like Houston don't wanna be all shiny and purty like Dallas or Austin. Houston presents the I don't give a Fu*k mentality and i guess it's happy with that. You know kind of like the ugly girl in school who was really down once you got to know her. The Four Seasons Hotel downtown needs a wrecking ball right thru it in my opinion and they need to start over from scratch. Hilton America's you're fine. All of the Houston Centers, except no.5 and Hyatt Regency hotel, sorry but the 60's style brick layered buildings are so out now. It's time to either repaint or get more window installments. Wedge Tower, i think should go back to the outline. i always loved that. To all the buildings with the white band of Christmas lights surrounding the top! TACKY! It looks so Fort Worth! It might work for Fort Worth but definitely not for a muscle bound city like Houston. Gotta do betta than that!!!

Sorry for the off-topic but you guys got me going down memory lane.

I also caught the second plane crash. Was very surreal. I lost both my uncle, Battalion Chief Matty Ryan, FDNY Manhattan, Battalion 1

888876.jpg

and my High School roomate, Mark Bingham, in flight 93.

s014.jpg

Messed up.

I was still in shock when a month later we lost that fire captain here in Houston at the Four Leaf fire.

That's tough. They were both heroes in their own way on that day. I had a client at work two years ago that lost both of her parents on Flight 93 also.

Last February I made my first trip to the World Trade Center site and it was quite an emotional experience. The most stunning thing was the absolute silence for blocks around, and the number of buildings that still bear the scars of that day.

That's tough. They were both heroes in their own way on that day. I had a client at work two years ago that lost both of her parents on Flight 93 also.

Let's try to stick to the topic folks!

I'm with you on this one Tiewestah, this issue has been brought up for a while now. I agree with you C2H, the Four Seasons Hotel downtown does need to be bulldozed. I was walking down the street and looking thru the windows of the hotel rooms and i thought, this is not a hotel, this is a prison!!!

Personally, I don't mind the downtown nightscape we have now. I like the subtle projected colors more that big bright lights and stuff. Although I do also like the Fort Worth nighttime skyline and it is full of bright lights and different colors. I always enjoyed it more that Dallas. But that observation is at least 10 years old. Things could have changed.

I also have a thing for the rotating light atop William's tower. I'm maritime at heart.

Thanks Ssullivan. They ended up naming the gay rugby cup after him. He was one of the guys that charged the cabin... "Let's Roll". Melissa Ethridge wrote a song about him (album: Lucky song: Tuesday Morning). I was lucky to be his friend.

• 2 months later...

See. i don't like that Chevron building at night. I really think that this building could make more of a statement at night than what it does.

Rather than having the white striped christmas lights on the building, why not add some nice spotlights on top? I mean that last pic really shows how that Chevron building and the Houston Centers cheapen the overall nightlook of Houston's downtown.

Wells Fargo plaza, Continental, Wedge and the building that changes colors are the only buidings that i think somewhat do anything for Houston's nightlit downtown. Houston definitely needs to take notes from Dallas In My Opinion.

But then what do you say to the significant number of people who feel that lighting such as what you see on the Bank of America building in Dallas is tacky? I could be wrong, but I think this is why you don't see many corporate logos on Houston's buildings anymore. Some people really find aggressive lighting tacky.

So who's right?

Personally, I like the lighting on Atlanta's downtown skyscrapers. Not too garish, IMO.