Historic Houston Hotels

Subdude

Kim worked at NASA. Fred was my grandmother's 2nd husband. so it was like "step-grandfather"? I don't know what you'd call it. I just remember how beautiful the house was and all the extravagant items that was in it. I remember this BIG picture he had of him holding a microphone in his hand. Money was never a problem for him. I was surprised when I mentioned his name people knew who he was. My grandmother told me after Fred passed away that she was invited to Frank Sintra's California home at the time.

The only people I know or I am in contact with are on my..myspace.com page.

Most are actors or in media:

Bill Blair (alien actor and assorted roles) :

Bill Blair Official Webpage

www.alienactor.com

Toni Blair (no not the Prime minister) -webpage pending going to ask for permission to put her webpage up

Nadine Ramkisson (Host off Much Music)

Nadine Demo Reel -she's one of my REALLY good friends

Aron Esienberg: (Nog off Deep Space Nine) -we know who we are but dont' communicate much.

Aron Esignberg's official website, "Trekfriends"

www.trekfriends.com

Virginia Hey (Zhaan off "Farscape")-she has some REALLY good smelling candles and very spiritual! She's very cool!

Virginia Hey's official website

-she knows me if we saw each other and she has some good advice if your spiritual!

www.virginiahey.com/

www.whiteflowerlei.com/

OR

White Flower Lei

CAndrew Nelson (Darth Vader off Star Wars: The Special Edition)

CAndrew Nelson Official website

www.candrewnelson.com/

-he's a really nice guy!!

Jon Provost (Timmy off Lassie) Jon Provost Official website

www.jonprovost.com/

-He's a REALLY NICE GUY!!

Randy Asplund: (An Awesome artist!)

Randy Asplund Official website

www.randyasplund.com/

-he does alot of sci fi-mid/evil art!

Scott ("Bad Guy" actor)

-he plays alot of bad guys in film/TV

Larry Thomas (Soup Nazi)

Larry Thomas Official website

http://www.soupnazi.tv/

-he's hilarious in person!

Allyce Beasly (from "Moonlighting")-she doesn't have a website but you can hear her on "Playhouse Disney" in the mornings", commerical work for Disney and as "Ms. Grotke" on "Recess". (she's VERY sweet!!)

-VERY VERY sweet woman!!

Some people I lost touch with I want to reconnect with:

E. G. Daily (I have her website but pending on if I should give it or not) who is a GREAT singer/voiceover/actor) but I remember communicating with her long ago! Then some idiot hacked into Paris Hilton's blackberry and I lost contact with Ms. Daily.

-I found her on Myspace.com

Nicole deBoer:

Nicole deBoer unOfficial website

www.nicoledeboer.com

(she is wife of singer, "John Kastner" and from the band in "All Systems Go!") and Canadian actress of Star Trek: Deep Space nine and is currently in "The Dead Zone" as Sarah Bannerman on the USA Network. I think trying to befriend her or get her to see the real me is kinda hard since we don't communicate

If anything they are more like aquintances then good friends. (Except Nadine who is a good friend!) :)

Sorry for going on and on! please private message me what you know of Fred, I'm curious how you knew him.

Kim worked at NASA. Fred was my grandmother's 2nd husband. so it was like "step-grandfather"? I don't know what you'd call it. I just remember how beautiful the house was and all the extravagant items that was in it. I remember this BIG picture he had of him holding a microphone in his hand. Money was never a problem for him. I was surprised when I mentioned his name people knew who he was. My grandmother told me after Fred passed away that she was invited to Frank Sintra's California home at the time.

The only people I know or I am in contact with are on my..myspace.com page.

Most are actors or in media:

Bill Blair (alien actor and assorted roles) :

Bill Blair Official Webpage

www.alienactor.com

Toni Blair (no not the Prime minister) -webpage pending going to ask for permission to put her webpage up

Nadine Ramkisson (Host off Much Music)

Nadine Demo Reel -she's one of my REALLY good friends

Aron Esienberg: (Nog off Deep Space Nine) -we know who we are but dont' communicate much.

Aron Esignberg's official website, "Trekfriends"

www.trekfriends.com

Virginia Hey (Zhaan off "Farscape")-she has some REALLY good smelling candles and very spiritual! She's very cool!

Virginia Hey's official website

-she knows me if we saw each other and she has some good advice if your spiritual!

www.virginiahey.com/

www.whiteflowerlei.com/

OR

White Flower Lei

CAndrew Nelson (Darth Vader off Star Wars: The Special Edition)

CAndrew Nelson Official website

www.candrewnelson.com/

-he's a really nice guy!!

Jon Provost (Timmy off Lassie) Jon Provost Official website

www.jonprovost.com/

-He's a REALLY NICE GUY!!

Randy Asplund: (An Awesome artist!)

Randy Asplund Official website

www.randyasplund.com/

-he does alot of sci fi-mid/evil art!

Scott ("Bad Guy" actor)

-he plays alot of bad guys in film/TV

Larry Thomas (Soup Nazi)

Larry Thomas Official website

http://www.soupnazi.tv/

-he's hilarious in person!

Allyce Beasly (from "Moonlighting")-she doesn't have a website but you can hear her on "Playhouse Disney" in the mornings", commerical work for Disney and as "Ms. Grotke" on "Recess". (she's VERY sweet!!)

-VERY VERY sweet woman!!

Some people I lost touch with I want to reconnect with:

E. G. Daily (I have her website but pending on if I should give it or not) who is a GREAT singer/voiceover/actor) but I remember communicating with her long ago! Then some idiot hacked into Paris Hilton's blackberry and I lost contact with Ms. Daily.

-I found her on Myspace.com

Nicole deBoer:

Nicole deBoer unOfficial website

www.nicoledeboer.com

(she is wife of singer, "John Kastner" and from the band in "All Systems Go!") and Canadian actress of Star Trek: Deep Space nine and is currently in "The Dead Zone" as Sarah Bannerman on the USA Network. I think trying to befriend her or get her to see the real me is kinda hard since we don't communicate

If anything they are more like aquintances then good friends. (Except Nadine who is a good friend!) :)

Sorry for going on and on! please private message me what you know of Fred, I'm curious how you knew him.

What a small world. The granddaughter of Fred Nahas ! He was a great man. He knew the top people in Houston. And they knew him. In all honesty he was toastmaster of Houston. He was voted Outstanding Young Man in Houston....in the late 40's or early 50's.

I know a lot about your Grandfather. And if the relationship to Fred Nahas comes from your mothers side...then her name is Kim. That's short for Kimberly.

HT

Then your grandmother's name is Eve. Correct?

If you will post your email then I will email you with info...or try to respond to any questions that you might have. I knew Fred well for over 20 years. A great man...but I'm afraid he won't be accorded his rightful place in the history of Houston. Fred was at the top. He knew everyone worth knowing and they knew him. It was a different Houston then , rather than the city of today that is splintered with few clear giants. In the days past..there were a few men at the top, powerful but good men...they built the city, they guided it, they made it work. They were giants ...and standing there with them was your grandfather. If it was an important event you could bet your last dollar Fred Nahas was present. And if someone needed to be MC of said event...it was Fred Nahas.

Was that the same as the Manor House?

Nope, not the Manor House. I'm not sure on reference to that. This was the Royal Coach on SW Freeway (Hwy 59S).

A lot of famous people stayed there including Bob Hope, Cary Grant, Racquel Welch , and many others including the infamous O.J. Simpson. The Royal Coach served as the hotel for all the stars of the Bob Hope Extra Special which was held in the Astrodome late 60's or early 70's. The purpose was to raise money for construction of the Ed White Youth Center.

Fred Nahas was instrumental in putting this event together along with Lep Meyer. Fred's agency Nahas-Blumberg-Zelikow also handeled publicity and advertising for this event. It was a sellout.

HT

Exactly! What a small "hotel-motel" type atmosphere for such elaborate attendants! Thank you for rememboring. I saw Elvis during the 70's at the Arena and they would not let us swim at the Royal Coach that day. Funny!

Nope, not the Manor House. I'm not sure on reference to that. This was the Royal Coach on SW Freeway (Hwy 59S).

I remember the Royal Coach Inn being on the right side (west) of the SW Fwy just before the Sharpstown Mall as you headed south. They had doormen and valets dressed in Beefeater outfits. I saw Lisa Hartman perform there in the mid-70's, when she was just getting started. She must have been in her late teens - early 20's at the time.

There was a Manor House Motel, on the order of the present-day Motel 6, further down the SW Fwy on the east side, just beyond (south of) Bissonnett.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
My Grandfather was "MC" for the opening night at the Shamrock in 1949. So even though I was far from born (I was born in 1978) he ran a public relations business down here until he passed away.

He always had these famous people on his wall and autographs. The weekend of his funeral someone came in and stole things out of his office. Is that NOT sad and sick or what?!

Bayou City Girl: As secretary to Glenn McCarthy Public Relations Director, James A. Clark, I knew Fred Nahas well. Our offices were in the Shell Building, owned by McCarthy, then the Shamrock. I was also present at the Grand Opening of the Shamrock. Through the years, I've seen many public accounts of happenings at the Shamrock -- some true, some very "off the wall." Fred Nahas was indeed a very remarkable, hospitable person. He was responsible for launching a sub-career for me, introducing me to Mrs. John Wesley Graham, noted vocal instructor. Any questions you may have pertaining to that era of the Shamrock, Glenn McCarthy and Fred Nahas, I would be very happy to share my knowledge and experiences with you. SugarLady.

Bayou City Girl: As secretary to Glenn McCarthy Public Relations Director, James A. Clark, I knew Fred Nahas well. Our offices were in the Shell Building, owned by McCarthy, then the Shamrock. I was also present at the Grand Opening of the Shamrock. Through the years, I've seen many public accounts of happenings at the Shamrock -- some true, some very "off the wall." Fred Nahas was indeed a very remarkable, hospitable person. He was responsible for launching a sub-career for me, introducing me to Mrs. John Wesley Graham, noted vocal instructor. Any questions you may have pertaining to that era of the Shamrock, Glenn McCarthy and Fred Nahas, I would be very happy to share my knowledge and experiences with you. SugarLady.

I want to thank you all for your input on how Fred Nahas was! I just remember growing up with him and being so proper and so presentable!

My mother found his book (of addresses) and has it. Even though the numbers are nonexistant I don't think its a nice little momento!

I do remember Fred was cajun and LOVED his cajun food! :)

Funny enough and weirdly enough I want to go into public relations BUT I know how hard it is and I would LOVE to re-start my grandfather's business up again! I wouldn't even know where to begin but I am so natural at it (and I know how to talk and relate to actors and people in the spotlight very well!)

Alot of my friends are actors or in media.

Someone else has been talking to me in PM about Fred and giving me a history lesson about his career (I have throughly enjoyed!)

Did you know Eve Nahas too?

I'm curious.

Sadly she passed away last year.

Can you please share your experiences with Fred (I only hear such great things about it...it makes me feel SO GOOD!! :) That he did alot in his lifetime and influenced alot of people and did so much for so many! :)

Yes, some retail but associated with the medical offices, such as pharmacies or medical equipment. Check out Cite magazine for detailed article.
I want to thank you all for your input on how Fred Nahas was! I just remember growing up with him and being so proper and so presentable!

My mother found his book (of addresses) and has it. Even though the numbers are nonexistant I don't think its a nice little momento!

Funny enough and weirdly enough I want to go into public relations BUT I know how hard it is and I would LOVE to re-start my grandfather's business up again! I wouldn't even know where to begin but I am so natural at it (and I know how to talk and relate to actors and people in the spotlight very well!)

Someone else has been talking to me in PM about Fred and giving me a history lesson about his career (I have throughly enjoyed!)

I'm curious.

Can you please share your experiences with Fred (I only hear such great things about it...it makes me feel SO GOOD!! :) That he did alot in his lifetime and influenced alot of people and did so much for so many! :)

I'm curious.

why did such a great hotel go down?

and that name sounds so familiar. Dick Gottelieb...

and this sounds a little weird but:

Clint Black is married to Lisa Hartman (black) right?

Growing up my grandmother (Fred Nahas's wife) LOVED to sew. There was a fabric store that Lisa Hartman's mother owned (her name was Tommy) and when I emailed Clint Black's official website and emailed him he said that was not true. Oh man am I confused!!

I know my grandmother/mother wouldn't lie unless this guy on the official site wasn't Clint Black. :-/

(sorry to go OT by the way!)

• 1 month later...
Good Memory. I had forgot about the dress of the doormen. But you are rght.

HT

The Royal Coach Inn was in the built in late 60's out of 2 by 4's and plywood. It was a huge place with meetings rooms for small conventions. It creaked and groaned when you walked around in it. It think it was called Dunfies for awhile before it fell on hard times and then the wrecking crew.

;)

the lamar and the adjoining metropolitan theater (designed by alfred c. finn):

fp05l0.jpg

My grandfather was asked to modify the plumbing fixtures in Jesse Jones' suite at the Lamar Hotel. It seems Mr. Jones was a big and tall man and did not like having to sqaut when using a normal height toilet. Grandpa told me that he built a small pedistal to raise the toilet flange approximately 4 inches, then had the pedistal tiled. He did the same with the lavatory by raising the fixture and nickel plating the support legs for appearance. It seems wealth has it's privileges.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I remember the Shamrock Hotel. I have lived in Houston all my life (33 years) but I do not have any recollection of how big that place really was. I wonder what the floorpates were (SF of each floor). It looks like a thick building.

I looked at the Hyatt Regency on Orbitz.com. Have you ever stayed there?

• 7 months later...
He was a TV radio personality who also served on the city council.

Gottlieb also did a TV show in the mid 60's called "Let's Go To The Races" You would buy a race ticket with lucky numbers at Weingarten's and late at night Gottlieb would come on an announce the winner of the horse race. Just like they announce lottery numbers now. It was exciting and hardly anyone remembers that. I am pretty sure he passed away by now.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow Vertigo, your mom looked like movie star material. If she had gone to Hollywood, your Dad could have been Cary Grant, lol.

Thanks BJane!

If you notice in many of our families professional photographer photos from the 1940's-50's, they had them pose very much like the star's of the time. I recall seeing some of my uncles pics where the camera was positoned above peering down on him (with cigareete in hand) Ugh. But it was to appear ala Humphrey Bogart or Gregory Peck.

Sort of like a publicity still or like what Baby Jane & her sister Blanche used to pose for when they were under contract with MGM (after Vaudeville).

See my avatar of one of my old favs Bill Holden. Pure Hollywood!

All right Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting an old topic here, but I think it's the best place to bring this up. For those who might be interested in the history of the Shamrock Hotel and the man behind it, there is a very good article in the October issue of Vanity Fair on the life on Glenn McCarthy. It outlines his rise and fall in the oil business and his association with the other Texas and Houston big money boys of the 20's - 50's... Jesse Jones, H.R. Cullen, Sid Richardson, H.L. Hunt, Howard Hughes, etc.

A very interesting insight into the life of a famous figure in Houston history. It's quite long but worth the read.

I'm resurrecting an old topic here, but I think it's the best place to bring this up. For those who might be interested in the history of the Shamrock Hotel and the man behind it, there is a very good article in the October issue of Vanity Fair on the life on Glenn McCarthy. It outlines his rise and fall in the oil business and his association with the other Texas and Houston big money boys of the 20's - 50's... Jesse Jones, H.R. Cullen, Sid Richardson, H.L. Hunt, Howard Hughes, etc.

A very interesting insight into the life of a famous figure in Houston history. It's quite long but worth the read.

I just read that yesterday in the waiting room at my doc's office. Marilyn Monroe is on the cover I believe. The article covered a great deal of the Shamrock's rise and fall.

Glad you resurrected thats how it works!

My dilemma (lose sleep) is why no one ever mentions the once classy Continental Hotel that once stood on North part of Manin street just before the now U of H main bldg? I cant remember if i created a topic on it but if anyone that is from or has been in this city for decades can divulge any info on it.

I cannot even find a pic of it anywhere but it had a very long rectangular neon sign out front and was still in use in the 70's. This was when no one really wanted to venture to that part of downtown as it was quite sleezy then. The Pink Pussycat and other sleeze joints were just across the street. This place was a real top notch place in the 60's I was told. When we were young teens we tried to walk thru but got spooked when the clerks/bellhops gave us that "what are you doing here look". Yikes!

The Continental Hotel anyone? :)

Nena/Mariar/Sevfiv do you remember or have any docs on this one??? Possibly torn down in the early to mid 80's?

Another Houston mystery to solve!

7-27-2007-06.jpg

Lobby of Rice Hotel just outside of the Grand Ball Room. Mom was attending a Gala of some kind and decided to strike a pose. This is from around 1955. People used to really dress it up in them days!

What a stunning photo of a stunning lady! You must be very proud of your mother in this photo. It looks like something out of a Fairy Tale. I have no experience of a setting and lady like this and I am tickled as you can tell that you posted it. Amazing, simply amazing!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful photo! :D

CampLogan1917

Here is a picture of the Emerald Room in the Shamrock (sorry for the size). Is that the chandelier?

emerald21tj.jpg

This shot of the Emerald Room in the Shamrock Hotel brings back many fond memories.

More than 25 or even 30 years ago my wife worked in the Medical Center for Dr. Red Duke and on about one Friday a month I would come to get her and we ate lunch at Trader Vic's next to the Shamrock Hotel. Good memories or good times!

CampLogan1917

This shot of the Emerald Room in the Shamrock Hotel brings back many fond memories.

More than 25 or even 30 years ago my wife worked in the Medical Center for Dr. Red Duke and on about one Friday a month I would come to get her and we ate lunch at Trader Vic's next to the Shamrock Hotel. Good memories or good times!

CampLogan1917

I went to the final St Patricks day party at the Emerald Room right before the Shamrock closed.

Archived