Historic Houston Hotels

Subdude

I really like these old photos.

Shamock Hotel, Main and Holcombe. A local legend and the most famous building in Houston for many years. Current status: a parking lot.

acMar.jpeg

Opening night at the Shamrock, March 17, 1949. This was attended by dozens of celebrities and almost caused a riot. There is a scene in the movie "Giant" that is based on this. (The Jett Rink character is based on Glen McCarthy).

aaCover.jpeg

Shamrock Pool. At 165 ft. long, this was the largest outdoor hotel pool in the world. It was the big hangout for Houston high society.

afJul.jpeg

Lamar Hotel, Main at Lamar. Along with the Rice, the major upscale downtown hotel. Suite 8-F was famous as the hangout for Houston's power brokers. Heavily remodeled in the 1960s, demolished 1985, and now the site of the 1000 Main building.

ajDec.jpeg

Lobby of the Lamar.

aeJun.jpeg

Rossonian Hotel, 919 Fannin at McKinney. Built in 1911 as luxury apartments. In the 1940s it became the Ambassador Hotel and Apartments. Demolished in 1953 and now the site of Two Houston Center.

ahOct.jpeg

Warwick Hotel, built 1926.

acFeb.jpeg

Plaza Hotel.

agAug.jpeg

San Jacinto Hotel, 816 Main at Walker. Built in 1911 and operated as the Bender Hotel until 1931. In 1950 the structure was converted into an office and retail building and extended back to Travis. Walgreens was on the ground floor and the LC cafeteria in the basement. This was demolished last year and is now a rubble-filled lot.

adMay.jpeg

Texas State Hotel, now re-opened as Club Quarters Hotel.

akClosing.jpeg

I really like these old photos.

Shamock Hotel, Main and Holcombe.  A local legend and the most famous building in Houston for many years.  Current status:  a parking lot.

acMar.jpeg

Opening night at the Shamrock, March 17, 1949.  This was attended by dozens of celebrities and almost caused a riot.  There is a scene in the movie "Giant" that is based on this.  (The Jett Rink character is based on Glen McCarthy).

aaCover.jpeg

Shamrock Pool.  At 165 ft. long, this was the largest outdoor hotel pool in the world.  It was the big hangout for Houston high society.

afJul.jpeg

Lamar Hotel, Main at Lamar.  Along with the Rice, the major upscale downtown hotel.  Suite 8-F was famous as the hangout for Houston's power brokers.  Heavily remodeled in the 1960s, demolished 1985, and now the site of the 1000 Main building.

ajDec.jpeg

Lobby of the Lamar.

aeJun.jpeg

Rossonian Hotel, 919 Fannin at McKinney.  Built in 1911 as luxury apartments.  In the 1940s it became the Ambassador Hotel and Apartments.  Demolished in 1953 and now the site of Two Houston Center. 

ahOct.jpeg

Warwick Hotel, built 1926.

acFeb.jpeg

Plaza Hotel.

agAug.jpeg

San Jacinto Hotel, 816 Main at Walker.  Built in 1911 and operated as the Bender Hotel until 1931.  In 1950 the structure was converted into an office and retail building and extended back to Travis.  Walgreens was on the ground floor and the LC cafeteria in the basement.  This was demolished last year and is now a rubble-filled lot. 

adMay.jpeg

Texas State Hotel, now re-opened as Club Quarters Hotel.

akClosing.jpeg

Great pictures. Just wish we could cherish in our history, not just place it in the history books. A little tidbit. Jett Rink was the inspiration for JR Ewing.

I wish I remember the Shamrock Hotel.  I have lived in Houston all my life (33 years) but I do not have any recollection of how big that place really was.  I wonder what the floorpates were (SF of each floor).  It looks like a thick building.

The thing i remember was the pool, there was a dome structure under the water where you could go down under the dome and there was just enough air to breathe. i don't remember if this was a kind of bubble machine or what. i just remember that i thought it was cool that you could breathe while under water. My uncle said he remember them water skiing in the pool as well. of course i didn't believe him but he had a book of containing pics of this.

*** Thanks for sharing these hotel photos which are so much a part of Texas history that they have touched all of us in some way. I grew up in South Texas brush country during the oil and gas boom of the early fifties and traveling to Houston with my family always meant staying in one of these hotels. There was always a big new years eve party in the ballroom of the Shamrock Hotel that was broadcast live [by KTRH maybe] which I could hear on my crystal set receiver!

*** Later upon graduating from college I interviewed for jobs in Houston like every other new graduate, and stayed in some of these hotels [at the expense of potential employers... yea!]

*** Much later after graduate school I landed a job in Houston with a major oil company with a corporate office in the Neils Esperson building. My wife and our friends enjoyed Sunday brunch at the Shamrock often.

*** Current news: When the Shamrock was closed for good everything was sold at auction to the bare walls. Long story short, I have one of the crystal chandeliers from the ballroom. If anyone wants to see it [OR BUY IT] I will get some photos next trip to the park cities in Dallas where it is stored. I have a URL of a similar one just for drill: Its not the same; it didn't come from the Shamrock and it isn't Texana, but you will get some idea of scale and style. http://store.yahoo.com/plazzagallery/58crch.html

*** Thanks for the photos! They are fantastic. :rolleyes:

Shamock Hotel, Main and Holcombe. A local legend and the most famous building in Houston for many years. Current status: a parking lot.

acMar.jpeg

Opening night at the Shamrock, March 17, 1949. This was attended by dozens of celebrities and almost caused a riot. There is a scene in the movie "Giant" that is based on this. (The Jett Rink character is based on Glen McCarthy).

aaCover.jpeg

Shamrock Pool. At 165 ft. long, this was the largest outdoor hotel pool in the world. It was the big hangout for Houston high society.

afJul.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Something is happening at the Plaza right? Does anyone know? By the way great pics of the hotels. Unfortunately, I have no memories of the Shamrock. We all know the motto of Houston though: "Out with the old, In with the new." :(

The Plaza has been gutted is being converted to office space, I think.  Something is definitely happening, though

You are correct. It is being converted into Medical Offices. Greenberg & Co is the current leasing agent on the building. I would have rather seen this redeveloped as residential, but I assume the numbers did not work. Hopefully the integrity of the building will be kept.

You are correct.  It is being converted into Medical Offices.    Greenberg & Co is the current leasing agent on the building.  I would have rather seen this redeveloped as residential, but I assume the numbers did not work.    Hopefully the integrity of the building will be kept.

Any chance there might be a little retail on the ground floor? A nice cafe perhaps?

My Grandfather was "MC" for the opening night at the Shamrock in 1949. So even though I was far from born (I was born in 1978) he ran a public relations business down here until he passed away.

He always had these famous people on his wall and autographs. The weekend of his funeral someone came in and stole things out of his office. Is that NOT sad and sick or what?!

• 1 month later...

Wow Girl you are connected to the Shamrock alright! Just noticed your post here from April. I don't suppose you have any photos of the inside of the hotel do you? I am especially interested in the lobby and the ballrooms. Specifically, I am looking for an image that shows the installed chandaliers. After I post this I will upload a photo of one of them which I brought back to Corpus Christi from Dallas where it hung in the home of Regine & Robert O. Wilson, who was a VP of American Petrofina. When the Wilson's heard the Shamrock had sold to the Hilton they attended the auction and purchased some of the chandaliers for their home. So that is the story and I will post the image next!

Let me know if you have any pix please! :D

habitat@grandecom.net

My Grandfather was "MC" for the opening night at the Shamrock in 1949. So even though I was far from born (I was born in 1978) he ran a public relations business down here until he passed away.

He always had these famous people on his wall and autographs. The weekend of his funeral someone came in and stole things out of his office. Is that NOT sad and sick or what?!

:D

Wow Girl you are connected to the Shamrock alright!  Just noticed your post here from April.  I don't suppose you have any photos of the inside of the hotel do you?  I am especially interested in the lobby and the ballrooms.  Specifically, I am looking for an image that shows the installed chandaliers.  After I post this I will upload a photo of one of them which I brought back to Corpus Christi from Dallas where it hung in the home of Regine & Robert O. Wilson, who was a VP of American Petrofina.  When the Wilson's heard the Shamrock had sold to the Hilton they attended the auction and purchased some of the chandaliers for their home.  So that is the story and I will post the image next!

Let me know if you have any pix please!  :D

habitat@grandecom.net

Here is a picture of the Emerald Room in the Shamrock (sorry for the size). Is that the chandelier?

emerald21tj.jpg

all I remember from what my grandfather had were photos of the astronauts from the Challenger (that blew up in the 80's) and their autographs, he had president autographs. He was a very serious man about his work but he was very giving.

I am sorry I don't know about the Shamrock. The most I Remember about that is the cassette tapes my grandmother owns.

ok so the Shamrock was doing business with the Hiltons. OMG!!! (prepare to scream) ;)

Does that make me "in" with their family :P j/king!

if anyone has more info on the Shamrock please do share!! I'm interested!

Might your grandfather been Fred Nahas? I remember his golden voice from Houston radio (KXYZ?) and early Houston TV.

yes he was Fred Nahas. I remember him growing up and before he passed away.

He passed away soundly in his sleep and I remember Marvin Zindler being at the funeral shaking people's hands (well not in a happy type of way)

I also remember this photo or painting (VERY VERY large picture) of my grandfather holding the mic in his hand.

To this day my grandmother gets upset (she misses him badly).

Even though it has been so long.

Weird thing is I have never heard him "MC" -it was before my time but he had a way of talking so you'd listen and when he was talking you would better pay attention. (he was kinda stern about it)

My fondest memory was him giving me an "Annie" record player (I'm an 80's kid) and I was only 5 or 6 I think. Then later went to see "Annie" when it was onstage here in Houston. Ironically enough "Alyssa Milano" was in the touring cast!!! LOL!

He always encouraged us (his grandchildren) to use our talents wisely. He was most definationly a charmer and romantic. (so my grandmother says) :)

If I remember correctly someone in my family was an animator for Disney (I can't remember who though and I don't remember if related to Fred Nahas)

I don't have any pictures on hand to show you of him. Their probably in my babybook somewhere. But the memories will last me forever!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey BayouCityGirl! So are you related to Bobby Moronko too? Here is what I was talking about:

One of my buddies, Bobby Moronko, was very good looking and got all the girls. ....

Bobby had an Uncle named Fred Nahas who was a big radio personality in Houston. He was the top announcer at the local ABC affiliate, KXYZ, and hosted a weekly national network show entitled Saturday at the Shamrock. The Shamrock was a spectacular hotel on the extreme north end of Main Street, built by the famous Texas oil wildcatter Glen McCarthy. Glen McCarthy made fortunes and lost them many times according to legend. The character James Dean portrayed in the movie "Giant" was supposed to be based on the life of Glen McCarthy. When the Shamrock Hotel had its grand opening, my friend Bobby Moronko had his uncle arrange for us to be in the front row to see the Hollywood stars up close. I remember John Wayne pointing to the Shamrock from a stage erected in the huge front lawn and saying "mighty nice teepee Mr. McCarthy has built for you Houston."   

Fred Nahas had a deep mellow voice that sounded big-time. I was impressed with Bobby Moronko getting us on the front row, but radio had not become anything I wanted to be involved with yet. That came later when I discovered  a disc jockey from Memphis who could make you want to eat at Kapan's Restaurant and buy tailored pants from Rex The Tailor's. That man was barely older than we were, but he and others like him changed the music we enjoyed and the lifestyle we led in the early 50's. 

Here is the link.

thanks for the interesting article. I emailed Chuck before and he replied looking for Bobby.

Only thing I Remember also is at Fred Nahas's funeral Marvin Zindler was there to shake the families hands and they did a broadcast of his tapings so the church could hear it.

Also a personal message he had left for his wife before he passed away.

Fred Nahas was a true romantic!

you know how I told y'all that my grandfather was MC for the Shamrock hotel?

Well my grandmother passed recently and I found my grandfather's address book. It had Eric Hilton's phone number in it. How is that for doing business with the hiltons? ;)

so now my plan is to possibly figure out a way of restarting up his business. (my grandfather's) but I'm doing this slowly. I would love to get into the public relations business and it comes so naturally to me. I mean I meet actors and to me I don't get freaked by it. I mean I have alot of friends who are more in media then anything.

I just hope my vision/dream comes true!

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who is interested...there is a dive store-front bar on Gessner near Bissonnet called The Shamrock. I was not thrilled to be there until someone, who was not from Houston, told me that the bar and a lot of the fixtures in the bar came from an old hotel in Houston. I started looking around and realized it was stuff fom the old Shamrock Hotel! It was a beautiful hotel. Our high school prom was there...as were a lot of them back then.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
thanks for the interesting article. I emailed Chuck before and he replied looking for Bobby.

Hello BayouCity Girl, Fred Nahas was my Uncle, married at the time to Ellen (my mother's sister).

I was born in 51 and we spent a lot of time with ( my 2 oldest sisters and I) Uncle fred from the 50's untill they divorced.

We used to attend his Radio/TV show Saturday at the Shamrock, meeting many celebrities. At that time Uncle Fred had a news show on the radio called "Tomorrow's History". I would sometimes ride to the studio (KXYZ) to listen to him broadcast.

Of course the advertising agency handled Continental Can and "Wildcatter" whiskey.

Only thing I Remember also is at Fred Nahas's funeral Marvin Zindler was there to shake the families hands and they did a broadcast of his tapings so the church could hear it.

Also a personal message he had left for his wife before he passed away.

Fred Nahas was a true romantic!

Hello BayouCity Girl, Fred Nahas was my Uncle, married at the time to Ellen (my mother's sister).

I was born in 51 and we spent a lot of time with ( my 2 oldest sisters and I) Uncle fred from the 50's untill they divorced.

We used to attend his Radio/TV show Saturday at the Shamrock, meeting many celebrities. At that time Uncle Fred had a news show on the radio called "Tomorrow's History". I would sometimes ride to the studio (KXYZ) to listen to him broadcast.

Of course the advertising agency handled Continental Can and "Wildcatter" whiskey of Glenn McCarthy fame.

I ran across this looking for photos of the balinese room and Uncle fred, so looks like I found an interesting place.

I have 20 years worth of fond memories of Uncle Fred, even lived in their home from time to time. He was quite the remarkable man and I will never forget him.

Robert Hooper

I wish I remember the Shamrock Hotel. I have lived in Houston all my life (33 years) but I do not have any recollection of how big that place really was. I wonder what the floorpates were (SF of each floor). It looks like a thick building.

Yes, the Shamrock did look good. I guess places like the Four Season and Radisson took its place.

Yes, the Shamrock did look good. I guess places like the Four Season and Radisson took its place.

Does anybody remember the Royal Coach on SW Freeway? It was where quite a bit of famous people such as The Osmonds, Elvis Presley, Chicago, etc. stayed. It was right down the street from the Houston Music Theatre which I believe is called the Houston Arena now that it has been refurbished.

We used to swim there in the summer because they offered a summer swimming membership. Never did see anyone famous there though. Played a lot of Marco-Polo. Back in they day of the Men's tiny little bathing suits....70's

Does anybody remember the Royal Coach on SW Freeway? It was where quite a bit of famous people such as The Osmonds, Elvis Presley, Chicago, etc. stayed. It was right down the street from the Houston Music Theatre which I believe is called the Houston Arena now that it has been refurbished.

We used to swim there in the summer because they offered a summer swimming membership. Never did see anyone famous there though. Played a lot of Marco-Polo. Back in they day of the Men's tiny little bathing suits....70's

Was that the same as the Manor House?

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of famous people stayed there including Bob Hope, Cary Grant, Racquel Welch , and many others including the infamous O.J. Simpson. The Royal Coach served as the hotel for all the stars of the Bob Hope Extra Special which was held in the Astrodome late 60's or early 70's. The purpose was to raise money for construction of the Ed White Youth Center.

Fred Nahas was instrumental in putting this event together along with Lep Meyer. Fred's agency Nahas-Blumberg-Zelikow also handeled publicity and advertising for this event. It was a sellout.

HT

Anything Fred Nahas did was extravagant! I remember how beautiful Christmas looked going over to his house on Christmas day. I remember how beautiful the gift wrapping was. How he spoiled my grandmother, the trips they took, and he was a true romantic!

However, after Fred passed, I found a black book with all these important numbers (no area code) but it had some very important people's names in it like for example Paris Hilton's uncle (whom I can't remember) this was some time ago. I think my mom has that book.

Fred also shared a office space with an (maybe Apollo astronaut?) at the time as well. Oh my mind is shot right now!!

I would totally love to restart his public relation business (I love the whole idea of public relations and quite a natural!)

Anything Fred Nahas did was extravagant! I remember how beautiful Christmas looked going over to his house on Christmas day. I remember how beautiful the gift wrapping was. How he spoiled my grandmother, the trips they took, and he was a true romantic!

However, after Fred passed, I found a black book with all these important numbers (no area code) but it had some very important people's names in it like for example Paris Hilton's uncle (whom I can't remember) this was some time ago. I think my mom has that book.

Fred also shared a office space with an (maybe Apollo astronaut?) at the time as well. Oh my mind is shot right now!!

I would totally love to restart his public relation business (I love the whole idea of public relations and quite a natural!)

What a small world. The granddaughter of Fred Nahas ! He was a great man. He knew the top people in Houston. And they knew him. In all honesty he was toastmaster of Houston. He was voted Outstanding Young Man in Houston....in the late 40's or early 50's.

I know a lot about your Grandfather. And if the relationship to Fred Nahas comes from your mothers side...then her name is Kim. That's short for Kimberly.

HT

Archived