What do I do about this? (Desktop issue)

It looks like someone left clicked and highlighted everything on the desktop. I couldn't get it off so I restarted my computer just now and it's still that way. What do I do about it?

untitled.jpg

Mine looks like that too, it happened about a year ago.

Everything works fine.

Sorry no answers here, but I thought I'd let you know, you are not alone.

I see you have your Recyle Bin in the top left corner of your screen. Having used both Mac and PCs in college, before Microsoft started putting the Recycle Bin on the desktop, I was always use to having the "Trash Bin" in the lower right corner of the screen, when using a Mac. To this day, on Windows, the first thing I do is make sure the Recycle Bin is in the lower right corner. That's where it needs to be. Anyone else do this? Or is it just me? ... Sorry to vere slightly off topic.

I see you have your Recyle Bin in the top left corner of your screen. Having used both Mac and PCs in college, before Microsoft started putting the Recycle Bin on the desktop, I was always use to having the "Trash Bin" in the lower right corner of the screen, when using a Mac. To this day, on Windows, the first thing I do is make sure the Recycle Bin is in the lower right corner. That's where it needs to be. Anyone else do this? Or is it just me? ... Sorry to vere slightly off topic.

I do it too, but my PC at work always snaps it back to the upper left corner somehow and I am really too lazy to figure out how to make it stay lower right.

It would make sense for the thing you use least often (but still often enough to have on the desktop) or something you don't want to use accidentally to be at the lower-right corner, while the thing you use the most often (File menu for opening things) would be at the upper-right corner.

Of course Macs haven't even had the trash can on the desktop in almost a decade (since 2000), making it even harder to accidentally throw something away.

memebag:

From http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-137:

"Open System Properties in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and click Settings in the Performance section. Turn on the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop option, and click Ok."

Thanks. But I followed those instructions and that option is already checked. :(

Pumapayam:

Mine looks like that too, it happened about a year ago.

Everything works fine.

Sorry no answers here, but I thought I'd let you know, you are not alone.

Mine is working fine, too; I just want it gone because it's not what I'm used to seeing and I find it irritating to look at.

Archived