Mangum Manor

Mr. Chenevert

Just not as desirable yet as some other areas.

By the way, it's Mangum Manor.

Edit: It's actually the most expensive (price per square foot) home that is currently active on the market in Mangum Manor as a whole. I'm not saying that it is or isn't worth it, and I know that it's been remodeled. It has also been on the market for over 6 months. Just some things to consider.

5027 Hialeah = $131.49/sf

Average = $103.51

I used to live near Mangum Manor and the further down-turn or Antoine to the north has really taken its effect on that area. We moved in the are around 2000 and then vacated quickly around 2005. Post Katrina has seen a further excalation of crime in that general area as several "vacant" apartments which were bit of eyesore and may have had some squatters back in 2001 - 2005 are now occupied by many folks involved in crime and drugs that give the average displaced Katrina evacuee a bad name. Crime in our old neighborhood is at a scary level. I'm actually still on the email newsletter which gives crime alerts and the crimes are becoming more violent and the criminals are becoming more aggressive with car jackings, daytime robberies, break-ins, and open drug activity. MM isn't right in the middle of this, but is pretty close to the Antoine area between Pinemont and Tidwell that has gone from bad to worse. Just my opinion on the area.

Just got me to thinking...around the late 70's, early 80's, the apartments around Antoine/Tidwell were full of swinging singles. I wanted to move there but couldn't afford the lavish lifestyle! Amazing how things slip over time. I also used to play golf at Inwood Forest CC with a high school friend, it was quite swank in those days.

I live in Mangum Manor and am very happy there. It has an active civic association and has fairly low crime. I just threw away my civic assoc newsletter and I think there were maybe 3 incidents in the entire neighborhood in the last month - maybe one home burglary and 2 car break ins. I don't remember exactly. I frequently walk the neighborhood, and around the park at Costa Rica and Saxon, and have never felt uncomfortable. Meanwhile, my parent's home in the Heights has had their garage broken into 5 times in the last month! Just their garage!!

As far as flooding, be careful of homes that back up to Brickhouse Gully. Those homes do have a tendency to flood.

Also, just for point of reference, the house 4 doors down from me just sold for $169K at approx 1350 sf.

I believe Mangum Manor is all south of 43rd. Forest Pines is north of 43rd, but is still a nice addition, but is closer to Pinemont and points north and the Katrinaville apartments.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Also, just for point of reference, the house 4 doors down from me just sold for $169K at approx 1350 sf.

I'm not sure if it was listed with an agent, but here are the 2008 sales (according to MLS):

Feb 1 - 5415 Poinciana, 1,577sf, Sold at $146,391, $92.83/sf (paid $4,391 in buyer's closing costs and credited $751 for repairs for net of $89.57/sf)

Feb 23 - 5431 Lamonte, 1,450sf, Sold at $142,000 or $97.93/sf (paid $2,500 in buyer's closing costs and credited $1,500 for repairs for net of $95.17/sf)

March 20 - 5222 Georgi, 1,268sf, Sold at $160,000 or $126.18/sf (credited $400 for repairs for net of $125.87/sf)

March 25 - 5219 Lamonte, 2,067sf, Sold at $165,000 or $79.83/sf (paid $5,000 in buyer's closing costs for net of $77.41/sf)

Archived