Racism

houstonmacbro

We hear a lot about racism in society and whether it is real or perceived, it affects many people.

I wanna know .. outside of private thoughts, or conversations away from --outside of earshot-- of an offending group, have you ever done anything that is intentionally (or unintentionally) racist or biased?

I canot say that I ever have, outside of private thoughts about this group or that group, or the occasional conversation in private about this group or that group, knowingly discriminated or done something hurtful to someone because of their race or ethnicity.

Doesn't mean I haven't thought it at times, but don't believe I have ever done anything.

I am not even proud about those thoughts, but it is usually about a particular one or two people as opposed to generalizations about a whole group.

Thoughts?

It is sometimes hard to not fall into the easy pattern of painting an entire group with the same broad stroke. I see it more and more these days with the immigration 'discussion'. I have been guilty of it in the past. Have I ever knowingly done something hatefully racist? No. Have I said inappropriate things? Yes. Have I failed to call someone out for racism when I should have? Yep. I do believe that humans are hard-wired for bigotry, in that we fear and distrust 'the other.'

I grew up taught that racism was real but wrong. I have a fair share of white guilt that goes along with that--my mother's family is deeply East Texas. The N word is still alive and well in private conversation. In the case of my family, I rarely hear my cousins speak like that, only the old timers. But I suspect it's just because the younger ones do a better job of editing themselves in polite company. You don't unlearn that. My mother was the baby of the family, left town, and my brother and I were rasied in the big city. Plus, my dad was raised about as race-neutral as was possible in the 40s, so as a parent he was a foil to the rest of the family. My mother, for her part, wore herself out trying to impress upon us that we were not to follow the example of the aunts and uncles.

I was always completely mystified by the perceived racism of my family--who themsleves lived in the tatty working class part of Beaumont, who were immigrants, who themselves distrusted the wealthy WASP establishment. I think it's a testament to how deeply ingrained racial attitudes are in the deep south.

Well, racism is a touchy issue and to be open about it as far as what your feelings are about it can really open up a can of worms on a system like this. It can be particularly awkward if you say the wrong thing and its taken out of context.

There are times, when I drive down the street and I see people that are driving, walking, or acting as what could be stereotyped as being of "That race" and say something along the lines, "Go you. be your bad ass mexican self."

So if we're going to go down this road on this topic of conversation, we have to talk about it as adults, be frank, but be as diplomatic as possible (Ha! that's not going to happen with me on THIS topic), and refrain from certain language. Lord knows we don't want any hurt feelings. Ed can easily (and rightfully so) stomp on this thread faster than a Mexican doing the hat dance if we don't behave.

That's all I'm saying.

I wanna know .. outside of private thoughts, or conversations away from --outside of earshot-- of an offending group, have you ever done anything that is intentionally (or unintentionally) racist or biased?

I canot say that I ever have, outside of private thoughts about this group or that group, or the occasional conversation in private about this group or that group, knowingly discriminated or done something hurtful to someone because of their race or ethnicity.

I haven't, but I've watched friends put their foot in their mouth. The worst two examples I can think of are:

1. Shortly after graduating high school, I was living in an apartment with a few other guys and we were big into LAN parties (multiple people hooking their computers up to play games against each other). We had ordered pizza and it was taking an extremely long time to be delivered. When the pizza guy finally gets there, it had been over an hour. As I go to open the front door, a guy yells out as he's leaving the bathroom (not knowing that the pizza guy was standing at the door) "Hey, that jungle-bunny better be here pretty soon with my damn pizza..". Well, I'm stuck standing at the door with the money as this happens. In a panic, and in sheer embarrassment, I give him all the money I had, apologized and shut the door. He got about a 50-60 dollar tip out of my room-mate's friend's racist remark. We then told the guy to pack his computer and get out. The worst part? There was already a black guy there at the party.

2. At a friends house just a few years ago, we were all playing poker and Friday Night Lights the movie was on. One of my co-workers is from Odessa and was in high school around the time that the movie was based on. Another friend there is Native American and is married to a Black girl. At the end of the movie, Permian (mostly White team) plays Dallas-Carter (all Black team). During this scene in the movie, another friend asks the guy from Odessa if the movie was pretty accurate. My friend from Odessa replied "Yeah, it was a pretty heated game, and a tough loss.." To which the friend who had asked, and knowing about our other friend's wife replied: "I bet it sucked loosing to all those N...." The room got silent and about 10 minutes later everyone just went home. We've yet to have another poker night since then.

I think now my thoughts on race are pretty complicated. I have a Puerto Rican partner and several relatives in my family are not African American.

Additionally, in my not too distant past, several direct relatives are white, so it is kinda hard to have racists feelings towards people that I owe my very blood to.

However, I feel that sometimes I am judged by my skin color, but will even though I may THINK something about a person who treats me a certain way, I try not to paint a whole group because of it. Heck, some of my best friends are "fill in the blanks."

I have been privy to a lot of jokes on both sides of the aisle, and most of the time they are crude and insenstive, but nothing I get up in arms about. I figure if people really feel the way they do about (race, sexuality, etc.) they have a lot more problems than I do.

and how do you feel about reparations for slavery?

I didn't bring up reparations. Better question is how do you feel about it.

Personally I don't think it would happen here but I do feel that there should be some sort of atonewment for the systems of involuntary servitude that this country enforced for hundreds of years through laws and physical abuse.

I didn't bring up reparations. Better question is how do you feel about it.

Personally I don't think it would happen here but I do feel that there should be some sort of atonewment for the systems of involuntary servitude that this country enforced for hundreds of years through laws and physical abuse.

atonement for something you were not directly involved? IMO that's where i'd have to draw the line.

happens all the time. problem is some dwell upon it and don't move on.

How do you move on from something that happens all of the time?? Sorry, That doesn't add up. The only thing that I can say is that unless you've been a victim of it, you will never know how it feels to be a victim, esp when you're a victim everyday...But it's just all assumptions and we should just move on....?

How do you move on from something that happens all of the time?? Sorry, That doesn't add up. The only thing that I can say is that unless you've been a victim of it, you will never know how it feels to be a victim, esp when you're a victim everyday...But it's just all assumptions and we should just move on....?

unfortunately it is difficult to prove a case of racism vs just something perceived. someone making stupid comments is different than a real case of racism. i hear the stupid comments everyday. one just has to rise above that xxxx and move on.

i heard a great one tonight from an eastwood resident. he said that there's a party given yearly and has been 3 or 4 yrs now. he went the last time and kept hearing people say the indigenous of eastwood. when he realized they meant the mexicans, he left. lol

i heard a great one tonight from an eastwood resident. he said that there's a party given yearly and has been 3 or 4 yrs now. he went the last time and kept hearing people say the indigenous of eastwood. when he realized they meant the mexicans, he left. lol

In what contexts were they being discussed? I would assume that it was in a pejorative manner.

yep it was. he said that he knew many of the attendees and was disturbed by their elitist comments.

"indigneous" ?? What a horrible attempt at avoiding the M word.

What I find interesting is that many, if not the majority, of the Eastwood in-crowd are gay, and love to talk about how it's so much better in the 'hood' than in not-gay-friendly Woodlands/Katy.

I was tripping big time when a few weeks ago at a certain dance place an older woman was directing her frustration at a patron in the crowd and was saying "Why did they let him in here". "He knows he doesn't belong in here".

It was truly like something you would hear decades ago. Just a hint, most of the crowd were wearing 10 gallon hats. Enough said, Yikes!

Wish I had a microphone on, like going undercover for Dateline. :mellow:

The worst thing I have ever done is seriously question some prospective tenants about how many people would be staying over, and I know it was race related. It didn't matter because somebody put down a deposit before them, but I have yet to reconcile it with myself.

Many races discriminate against those of the same race.

Then there are the ones that avoid you if you are have different political view's, religion, weight, appearance, demeanor, $ or lack of, single or unmarried, sex, have no children, education, popularity, etc, etc.

Crazy world. -_-

unfortunately it is difficult to prove a case of racism vs just something perceived. someone making stupid comments is different than a real case of racism. i hear the stupid comments everyday. one just has to rise above that xxxx and move on.

MusicMan, what's your ethnicity?...I thought so, you'd never hear those remarks from a person who's been a victim of racism. Sorry, but as much as you try to understand the whole racism thing...you never will and I don't hold that against you. It's just like " A woman will never know what is to be a Man and a Man will never know what it is to be a Woman or give birth"...

Peace

I think racism (or at least bias) exists in many forms. Racism, sexism, homophobia are just some of the common ones. And oddly, even intra-raciallly (is that a word?) it occurs. Light skinned blacks against darker ones (same in some Hispanic cultures). New arrivals versus old timers that have been here. We've all heard those stories.

Anyhow, I wonder WHY people are so hung up on race?

Funny we look at skin color or ethnicity on the surface, but if any of needed an operation and needed pints of blood we'd never once bat an eye if it came from another racial or ethnic group as long as it matched the blood in our veins.

Odd huh?

One of the most recent occurances (I unfortunately witnessed) was of all events at a job fair hosted by a well known job search provider in this very city. One of the older women was taking out almost ever application (trashing) that had Spanish surnames. When I and another employee asked her why, she said they need to know English to work there. She assumed they only spoke Spanish. I was greeting these applicants and seating them and instructing what paper work to fill out, etc. All well dressed and well kept. Some of them only had those last names because their husbands were Hispanic or they had parents of both races. This older woman had not even met them.

Now if thats not being presumptous, I mean good Lord. :mellow:

So see it happens to everyone not just the old cliche' of black/white from 100 years ago.

One of the most recent occurances (I unfortunately witnessed) was of all events at a job fair hosted by a well known job search provider in this very city. One of the older women was taking out almost ever application (trashing) that had Spanish surnames. When I and another employee asked her why, she said they need to know English to work there. She assumed they only spoke Spanish. I was greeting these applicants and seating them and instructing what paper work to fill out, etc. All well dressed and well kept. Some of them only had those last names because their husbands were Hispanic or they had parents of both races. This older woman had not even met them.

Now if thats not being presumptous, I mean good Lord. :mellow:

So see it happens to everyone not just the old cliche' of black/white from 100 years ago.

Let me guess... the old woman had to fish out all of those job applications from the trash to make up for her error.

She had already shredded them and still is employed there. She was a PHD and used to teach.

There are many, many folks with that mindset still actively working in top exec positions at many corporate orgs....everywhere.

She would make off color sneers about almost every race under the sun. Not ashamed of it either.

Archived