New Restaurant At 807 Taft

10:56 AM CST Wednesday

Tycer to open new restaurant concept in historic building

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

LINK

10:56 AM CST Wednesday

Tycer to open new restaurant concept in historic building

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

Houston chef Scott Tycer, owner of Aries restaurant and Kraftsmen Baking, is increasing his culinary presence with a third dining concept.

Scheduled to debut in May, Gravitas restaurant will occupy the 1930s-era warehouse and storefront at 807 Taft that housed Antone's Famous Po'Boys & Deli for more than 50 years.

The 7,200-square-foot restaurant will include a 200-seat dining room, separate lounge, second-floor banquet and meeting space and a back garden with patio dining.

The bistro will feature classic, hearty fare interpreted in the French style.

Owner/developer Andrew Kaldis negotiated the lease, and architect Ferenc Dreef is overseeing the renovation.

As a developer, Kaldis has been successful at taking older buildings and utilizing and enhancing their unique charms, architectural accents and appeal in the renovation process. He was also involved in the development of Hugo's restaurant.

"We pride ourselves in taking the guts of the old building and capitalizing on them, not replacing them," he says.

LINK

• 7 months later...
I did not read the whole article, but did it mention how the developer or tenant is going to handle parking. I used to eat at that Antones a couple of times a month and parking was always a crap shoot. And the amount of business Antones had was very small and manageble. I assume they will valet. Is there vacant land near I do not remember.

Yes, parking is an issue there. I love the vicinity; sounds like a great restaurant to be.

I know at one point in time there was an attempted land grab near by. Maybe its this site.

One cafe kept getting reported to the city health department about violations.

There were no violations; just the crooked developer/attorney trying to run the owner out so he could grab the land.

The Houston Press reported on this.

I know at one point in time there was an attempted land grab near by. Maybe its this site.

One cafe kept getting reported to the city health department about violations.

There were no violations; just the crooked developer/attorney trying to run the owner out so he could grab the land.

The Houston Press reported on this.

I find that very easy to believe, having heard first-hand from someone who had the same experience. The city Health Department seems to be, ahem, easily influenced by those who have $$$. When a business suddenly finds itself visited two or three times a week, and cited for nit-picky violations, one suspects that Something's Up.

Perhaps this should be brought to Mayor White's attention.

Archived