Definitely a watered down version of the Studio Gang's Aqua Tower (pun intended), but grateful for a step in the right direction for Houston.

Look for Hines to develop the super block just east of this project - surrounded by W Alabama/Westheimer and Buffalo Speedway/private street just east of St. Luke's Methodist Church.

• Like 2

Definitely a watered down version of the Studio Gang's Aqua Tower (pun intended), but grateful for a step in the right direction for Houston.

Look for Hines to develop the super block just east of this project - surrounded by W Alabama/Westheimer and Buffalo Speedway/private street just east of St. Luke's Methodist Church.

are you talking about the Taub site near blanco's?

I count 40 floors on that rendering. 40>35!

Good eye, you called it months before any of us knew the floor count was going to increase! Never dismiss subtle clues!

I can't recall ever seeing a project such as this make the FRONT PAGE of the newspaper before. Maybe I'm not going back or thinking hard enough, but now everyone knows it's coming.

And I think Blanco's is ON the Taub site. It's likely if this site gets developed, Blancos would go away, which would be sad. It's a side note to this thread, but I'm curious, what exactly is Hines planning?

What is it going to be developed in to ?

@swtsig

Yes.

@Fortune

Too early to tell; Architect has not yet been selected. Broadly speaking, it will be a residential mixed-use development - mid-rise, possibly a high-rise component.

Wow Hines is really building a lot of residential in the area with this project, the cafe adobe site, and the WaterWall project. Hopefully they will build something downtown as well.

When you say superblock, do you mean from W. Alabama to the left field fence of the baseball field, or all the way to Westheimer?

Obviously there are neighborhoods in between that will never be torn down for high rises BUT, at the rate we're going, I think one day uptown and downtown skylines will merge, not as dense as new york or chicago but definitely enough that if you look at a panoramic pic one day, all the buildings will look "connected". The path is slowly being made from weslayan to kirby and along and up allen parkway into downtown...

• Like 2

Obviously there are neighborhoods in between that will never be torn down for high rises BUT, at the rate we're going, I think one day uptown and downtown skylines will merge, not as dense as new york or chicago but definitely enough that if you look at a panoramic pic one day, all the buildings will look "connected". The path is slowly being made from weslayan to kirby and along and up allen parkway into downtown...

I totally agree. I just wish that more developers would build buildings such as this one instead of the 5 story buildings that are going up. I understand mid rises going up on the larger sites being developed but smaller sites like the cafe adobe site that Hines is redeveloping should be high rises.

Anyone think downtown and the Med-district could join too?

It would require more highrise construction in Midtown... possible?

I think so if Midtown ever gets any highrises. It's the perfect location for a residential highrise neighborhood with its city block layout. However all that seems to be developed in Midtown are mid rise apartment complexes, suburban shopping centers, and town homes. You would think with land prices as high as they are in Midtown that high rises would be built.

updated renderings from Culturemap:

signature restaurant that will occupy part of the 12,500 square feet of retail space on the bottom floor will be his or her kitchen. Nail wants it to be upscale enough for special occasions, but casual enough that residents can eat there every day. Catering will be available for room service and pool deck delivery.

The remaining retail space will be occupied by amenities that will benefit the residents, like a day spa and a dry cleaner, set off by a 20-foot high wall fountain in the lobby.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-14-12-new-luxury-high-rise-upped-from-35-to-40-floors-a-sneak-peek-at-houstons-tallest-apartment-tower/

the distinctive facade was "inspired by a flowing evening gown,"

Screen_Shot_2012-11-13_at_4.08.11_PM.800w_600h.jpg

Screen_Shot_2012-11-13_at_4.08.26_PM.525w_700h.jpg

C01_mod.800w_600h.jpg

Screen_Shot_2012-11-13_at_4.08.06_PM.800w_600h.jpg

• Like 2

It'll be slightly removed from the Greenway skyline but not by much. Keep in mind that a 40-story apartment tower vs. a 40-story office tower are two very different heights. While this will be a TALL building, it probably won't dwarf the Greenway skyline.

Of course there are no 40 story office buildings in Greenway Plaza. I believe the tallest is 31 stories and 465 feet. Nevertheless, because of the floor height differences between office and apartment building, you are probably correct that this building will not dwarf (and may not even be as tall as the tallest buildings in) the Greenway Plaza skyline.

What height do we expect for this building... in the 425-500 range?

Of course there are no 40 story office buildings in Greenway Plaza. I believe the tallest is 31 stories and 465 feet. Nevertheless, because of the floor height differences between office and apartment building, you are probably correct that this building will not dwarf (and may not even be as tall as the tallest buildings in) the Greenway Plaza skyline.

What height do we expect for this building... in the 425-500 range?

one park place is 501 feet at 37 floors. Your range sounds about right, it all depends on architectural elements as well...

I was going to draw comparison to 1 Park Place. Keep in mind that 1PP has a vaulted roof which causes the building to graze by the 500 ft mark. The building on Weslayan will have a flat roof so I suspect both buildings will be about the same height.....right around 500 feet.