Is there any love for this tower any longer? I found it barely breathing on the second page of the forum. They're up to the 31st floor now and have adjusted the webcam upward. I dunno about you, but I think this building is falling victim to another project where the rendering was a thousand percent better than what we're getting. 

When its finished people will grow to like it.  Its not ground breaking - neither was/is Studio Gang's Chicago iteration of this design type.  I think its an ok design, never was great.  At least that's my opinion.

And honestly, I think people are liking the other designs sprouting up around town more and hence this design is not as enjoyable any more.

Is there any love for this tower any longer? I found it barely breathing on the second page of the forum. They're up to the 31st floor now and have adjusted the webcam upward. I dunno about you, but I think this building is falling victim to another project where the rendering was a thousand percent better than what we're getting.

People were posting photos of it once or twice a week not too long ago. Normally after it has been under construction for a while interest wanes. Seems easier these days with so much to discuss.

• Like 1

And it's in the middle of nowhere. Doesn't synergize with anything.

I have made this comment before about such a big building being 'lost.' I find it very difficult to spot from any freeway unless you're really looking for it. I think only one person agreed and the rest called me a blooming idiot. I stand by my original statement. haha

When its finished people will grow to like it.  Its not ground breaking - neither was/is Studio Gang's Chicago iteration of this design type.  I think its an ok design, never was great.  At least that's my opinion.

i think its one of the nicer looking towers to go up in Houston so far this decade. one of the more unique ones at least. well determine if it looks anything like the renderings once they finish i guess.

And it's in the middle of nowhere. Doesn't synergize with anything.

come back in 3-5 years and tell me its in the middle of nowhere.. no, its not on the side of a busy highway for all to see, but this tower will bridge the gap between Greenway and the new spillover from Uptown that has crossed over to this side of 610 (the multiple high-rises at Westcreek, and the 4 high-rises and 2 mid-rises planned for Azalea Court)

People were posting photos of it once or twice a week not too long ago. Normally after it has been under construction for a while interest wanes. Seems easier these days with so much to discuss.

agreed.. so many new residential projects have been announced since this tower started going up its insane. when they first announced this project how many residential towers were going up? im not sure i can name one.. (not to mention it was the tallest apartment/residential(?) the city had seen since OPP.. now there are a handful of residential highrises proposed that are at least 38 stories).. now you cant even keep track of the number of residential highrises proposed/going up across the city.

• Like 1

I have made this comment before about such a big building being 'lost.' I find it very difficult to spot from any freeway unless you're really looking for it. I think only one person agreed and the rest called me a blooming idiot. I stand by my original statement. haha

youre a blooming idiot. :) maybe we are just looking for 2929 Weslayan on the horizon and know what to look for now after spotting it so many times. i saw it from T C Jester north of i10 recently.. (granted i was on a small overpass, i was surprised to see it as before i had trouble spotting it from i10.. maybe because the trees from Memorial Park are so close to the highway?)

• Like 1

I'm still super excited about this building! It will probably have less glass than I first imagined from the rendering but the non-glass facade is being painted a unique aqua color which is very similar to the color of the glass and I think it will look fabulous.

As far as being in the middle of nowhere, sure its not clustered amongst other towers but it's much more visible than it would be downtown, even at 40 stories. The absolute best view I've seen of it is driving east down Westheimer and right past the railroad tracks at Highland Village I could swear I'm in South Beach. 2929 Weslyan definitely has that Miami-esque feel to it. (I'll post a pic on a clear sunny day soon).

There are so many daily comments on HAIF about projects going on all over the city right now that being on the 2nd page is still saying a lot. I've found BLVD Place, River Oaks District, and 609 Main on the second page in the past couple of months.

Edited by 'Stonian

this tower is one of the sparse connections between greenway plaza and uptown's ever so slowly merging skylines..........google earth is causing much lost sleep lately

also, it looks similar to aqua or acqua in chicago.  i think it will be impressive.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say is a Miami feel. I think it's just different. Towers will go in around it one day, I'm not worried

Difference of opinion I guess, but that's the beauty of an architecture forum. It certainly has that Miami, exotic look to me where the glass balconies ARE the most prominent architectural feature. You look at the building and immediately think residential condo/apartment tower. 

Edited by 'Stonian
  • Like 1

.............are we nearing the point where the haifing hazing ritual requires guerilla photos from unlikely or illegal spots?  i hear bill balleza's voice on the news saying: "local social media website under investigation for inciting mass trespassing violations and ignoring posted "keep out" signs" or  "extremist architecture and development fan site encourages loyal followers to risk safety and break trespassing laws, full story at ten o'clock"

maybe editor would let us make a new requirement for registration: we won't let you post comments until you post pictures that impress us..........

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

when the facade started going up i was a little put off by the color but now im really digging it! thanks for the updates. my buddy snapchatted me a couple pictures of the tower the other day that i meant to post but never got around to it.

i count 32 or 32.5 floors in that picture. 1/5th the way to go!

Edited by cloud713

when the facade started going up i was a little put off by the color but now im really digging it! thanks for the updates. my buddy snapchatted me a couple pictures of the tower the other day that i meant to post but never got around to it.

i count 32 or 32.5 floors in that picture. 1/5th the way to go!

i drive by this project practically everyday and am fairly certain that the color is nothing more than a protective film on the windows.

• Like 1