Yup, the south crane got a raise... actually I think it all happened today, this morning it was a lot shorter then it was this afternoon.

i noticed that yesterday when i was driving down 610. this tower will be PROMINENT along 59 and 610. there is nothing close to that height off the east side of 610. cant wait to see it when its finished. that along with new towers at the planned Westcreek mixed use development and the 5 or so going up along post oak and driving down 610W will almost start to feel like your in the middle of an urban forest.

• Like 1

And everytime there is an update I think it's fast.

At its current speed (obviously the first few floors took a bit longer) this shouldn't be completed until around July or August next year.

Edited by Sky-guy

i'm glad they called you out on this comment - seeing as though the buildings are damn near identical i found it completely asinine.

lol, i could care less what some Chicago posters think. our building looks way better IMO, and everyone is entitled to an opinion.. the one in Chicago has way too many "waves" and that gap in the facade half way up looks terrible. it just looks way too busy for me. sorry you dont feel the same..? 

I guess they dont realize this tower is going up in the middle of no where and will be visible from all across the city, so 40 stories is HUGE for the location.. most of Chicagos towers are confined in downtown and dont have much of a presence in the skyline (not that thats a bad thing, because their skyline is so huge..).

Chicago should be more concerned when we surpass them in population.  Even though the metro area is larger, the city is losing population and they are moving to Houston!  They are worried about being the 4th largest city in America. 

agreed.. Chicago has a lot more problems to worry about than a tower in a different city having a similar design. how many people have been murdered there already this year?

• Like 1

lol, i could care less what some Chicago posters think. our building looks way better IMO, and everyone is entitled to an opinion.. the one in Chicago has way too many "waves" and that gap in the facade half way up looks terrible. it just looks way too busy for me. sorry you dont feel the same..?

I guess they dont realize this tower is going up in the middle of no where and will be visible from all across the city, so 40 stories is HUGE for the location.. most of Chicagos towers are confined in downtown and dont have much of a presence in the skyline (not that thats a bad thing, because their skyline is so huge..).

I like their height but I do think ours looks cleaner and lighter, which I like.

• Like 2

Cloud- Our building looks better? Seriously? Ours isn't even completed yet. 

Native- People in Chicago aren't worried about Houston overtaking it. Also, you do realize that if Chicago's boundaries were as large as ours it would DWARF Houston, right? The two cities are very different and both are wonderful, but please leave this boosterism crap to our neighbors to the North.

• Like 1

Native- People in Chicago aren't worried about Houston overtaking it. Also, you do realize that if Chicago's boundaries were as large as ours it would DWARF Houston, right? The two cities are very different and both are wonderful, but please leave this boosterism crap to our neighbors to the North.

going by the renderings, yes... i like the balconies better on ours, and a few other people have agreed with me so im not sure why im being singled out in all of this? whatever..

lol I have to admit that the one in Chicago is way better.  It's basically the same tower, but a lot taller.  That wins.

I don't get all the "us vs. them" mentality that exists in the world of skyscrapers.  I appreciate each city on its own, and am glad Chicago has an amazing skyline.  No need to compare it to Houston's.

Comparison of Aqua and 2929 Weslayan, with a big mention of HAIF, heh :P

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info/2013/09/30/chicagos-iconic-aqua-tower-gets-a-doppleganger-in-texas/

It is just a bit of snark. Who gives a shit?

Good designs are copied all the time. Just because 2929 Weslayan was inspired by a taller or "better" building, doesn't mean that it won't be a nice building and a good addition to the city.

It is just a bit of snark. Who gives a shit?

Good designs are copied all the time. Just because 2929 Weslayan was inspired by a taller or "better" building, doesn't mean that it won't be a nice building and a good addition to the city.

Relax it is just a comparison, picture by picture.

Ummm, from what I've seen, metro Chicago is over 800 sq. miles larger than Houston so not quite sure what you're talking about. But I agree, who gives a rats ass what a bunch of stuck up northerners think. They have more killings than anybody else and their city is losing population. Many people in Chicago may not be 'worried' about dropping to 4th largest but it IS on the minds of city leaders and other enthusiests like ourselves that see it as a major blow to the 'Second', no wait, third city....no wait, FOURTH city's ego.

People who write stories to bash other cities buildings or people are insecure and are doing nothing more than trying to convince themselves of long past truths. Being a Houstonian, I smile big because that article is nothing more than the Titanic sending up flares in a cold, dark Atlantic.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 2