http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../14/story6.html

According to Mandola, Interfin plans to tear down the building as soon as the restaurant clears out and construct a 27-story building of an undetermined type.

Matt Waller, a senior vice president with Interfin, would only confirm that the tenants are leaving this summer.

"We have not yet decided what we're going to do with the property," Waller says. "I have nothing to report."

Meanwhile, Mandola has given up the search for another State Grille site due to a lack of an affordable location inside Loop 610.

"We could not afford the rents that they're charging," says Mandola. "The land prices are ridiculous, and rents are very high."

Doug Nicholson of Grubb & Ellis Co., Mandola's real estate broker, says land prices inside the Loop range from $75 to $125 per square foot, which is too expensive for a restaurant.

Nicholson wryly observes that the only way to make that pricing work would be to build a 25-story high-rise and put the State Grille on top of it.

"The prices are just out of sight," Nicholson says. "Right now, everything's so high, we couldn't find anything."

• Like 1

That is truly a pity that they're shutting down. You would have expected that they would be able to get a place in an established area for reasonable prices. I would equate it with the Rainbow Lodge; It's in a dump but it's constantly busy.

Do you think that perhaps they have stayed in that location for so long that they lost perspective and simply "think" its expensive for a business to be able to support a location?

Do you think that perhaps they have stayed in that location for so long that they lost perspective and simply "think" its expensive for a business to be able to support a location?

no the mandolas have been here too long and know houston well.

Edited by musicman

no the mandolas have been here too long and know houston well.

totally. The margins are so thin on fine dining now it doesn't take much. That's a shame; it was a little old fashoniod but the food at State Grille was excellent.

Restaurants are starting to adjust menus for rent. Or maybe not, I've just never noticed it before.

One of my sales guys told me the new Jimmy Wilson's at Post Oak was quite a bit more expensive that the far west location, for much of the same menu items.

This building has been known as Black Angus, Condederate House and now State Grill. We lost The Stables and now Felix. I guess it's just a sign of progress, but it's still hard to see these Houston traditions vanish. Molina's on Buffalo is also closing, but I think they'll just be moving to another location. I think I read that HEB is building something there at Buffalo and Westpark.

This building has been known as Black Angus, Condederate House and now State Grill. We lost The Stables and now Felix. I guess it's just a sign of progress, but it's still hard to see these Houston traditions vanish. Molina's on Buffalo is also closing, but I think they'll just be moving to another location. I think I read that HEB is building something there at Buffalo and Westpark.

What happened to Felix? It looked open to me awhile back.

It was better when it was the Confederate House, but political correctness fixed that a few years ago. Bring on the high rise.

I would somewhat agree with you, although I thought it was very good. Luckily Houston is blessed to have a large number of great Italian restaurants and grills. But hopefully this restaurant will be reborn in some capacity, because the staff and the food and the Happy Hours were great.

• 2 months later...

An update on this one.

I received the free throw around newspaper, the Village News (no website) this morning. They have a front page story on the proposed high rise.

To summarize:

In mid-May, permit applications were filed with the city for "site utilities and foundation for future high rise apartments" at 3816 W. Alabama. They were returned with a number of corrections, including a traffic study analyzing the impact of a high-density development on neighboring streets. The developers will not confirm their plans. The Highland Village Civic Club president, Jimmy Glotfelty, says the surrounding community supports lower-density development, but a high rise "would get a tremendous outburst" from surrounding neighborhoods. The State Grille's lease is up on July 31. All buildings will be torn down at the end of the summer.

Looks like this is going to happen.

Edited by nate

An update on this one.

I received the free throw around newspaper, the Village News (no website) this morning. They have a front page story on the proposed high rise.

To summarize:

In mid-May, permit applications were filed with the city for "site utilities and foundation for future high rise apartments" at 3816 W. Alabama. They were returned with a number of corrections, including a traffic study analyzing the impact of a high-density development on neighboring streets. The developers will not confirm their plans. The Highland Village Civic Club president, Jimmy Glotfelty, says the surrounding community supports lower-density development, but a high rise "would get a tremendous outburst" from surrounding neighborhoods. The State Grille's lease is up on July 31. All buildings will be torn down at the end of the summer.

Looks like this is going to happen.

I can't imagine that this thing will have a huge traffic impact compared to all the traditional 3 story apartment complexes (with hundreds of units) around there, not to mention the 5,000 trips a day in and out of Central Market and all of the other stores. And given that it is on the corner of two major comercial streets, Alabama and Weslayan, I can't see much of a basis for freaking out. But freak out people will.

The highrise hysteria is an interesting phenomenon. I was by the Huntington today and I swear in the hour or so I was looking at the building I saw maybe 3 cars come or go. 40 story tower of traffic!!

If this thing is 27 stories and has maybe 125 units, I can't see that making much of an impact. I have a friend who has a view of 2727 Kirby from their yard and are up in arms about what they think will be traffic from it, but the fact that West Ave is going to drop more people and retail customers into their neck of the woods doesn't seem to bother them. They just don't want to see a highrise on the horizon.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

If this thing is 27 stories and has maybe 125 units, I can't see that making much of an impact. I have a friend who has a view of 2727 Kirby from their yard and are up in arms about what they think will be traffic from it, but the fact that West Ave is going to drop more people and retail customers into their neck of the woods doesn't seem to bother them. They just don't want to see a highrise on the horizon.

I agree with you, although one can't blame them for enjoying suburban comfort in the middle of the city in a way very few cities offer. In Midtown Manhattan right now neighbors are fighting mad about a proposed 75-storey building which is, of course, "totally out of character" with the surrounding neighborhood of 45-storey towers. It wasn't until the latest round of developers' attention to Houston that density began to reach a point where many folks felt like maybe their piece of the pie is in danger of shrinking - that's why all of the hostility and hedging all of a sudden - but it's why density is its own poison in democracy (I've noticed that Houston is actually more intensively developed relative to its infrastructure than Brooklyn is, and the Manhattan example tells you why: the more people there are, the harder they make it to add any more).

And maybe that's not a bad thing - once there are too many toes that can get stepped on that have to be protected from one another by an oversight process, which will exist to guarantee "legitimacy" of local actions on anything from street furniture to you-name-it, neighborhoods lose all of their real trial-and-error responsiveness in the name of proper public management, and it becomes impractical for individuals to actually have agency in shaping their environments.* No amount of community participatory visioning sessions will ever change that, but planners overlook the fact, perhaps because they are disciplined to view themselves as being the factor of-which-still-more-is-still-needed in shaping environments, the thing that's still not gotten its due for being as indispensable as it is. Going that route will make the same mistake here that the East and West Coasts have made, not to mention it'll erase/calcify the central Houston character that led us to fall in love with the place.

*Imagine trying to adaptively craft a sculpture one weekend, when every suggestion from your brain to your hand and every signal from hand to mind has to be vetted in a four-month political procedure: you simply can't make anything suited more and more responsively to its living surroundings - so the pinnacle still available to strive for becomes a misbegotten perfectionism. "Okay, we've hashed this out, as few people as possible are alienated, it's DONE. For ever, if possible." If you think an exurban cul-de-sac is deadening, try an ideational one, like that. You'll find them all over the richer coasts, and I'll give them that they're certainly glamorous: "Why can't we have urbanism like that in Texas?!" - since the foregoing paragraphs are reasons why, if we can, we shouldn't.

Edited by strickn

• 9 months later...
good luck trying to sell that site.

1) they paid $95 psf pretty much at the market peak

2) the site is only suitable for a vertical development, especially because of the size and that price

Any valuation out there what "fair" price would be right now?

Any valuation out there what "fair" price would be right now?

problem is, there really isn't a "fair" price because of the current lending environment and the huge gap between bid/ask. heck, mandola didnt want to sell but was made an offer they couldnt refuse. interfin overpaid and is now stuck holding the bag.

total hypothetical...

say a STRONG buyer wanted to move forward. to get a loan, they probably put down 40% equity of what the bank values the deal at (probably 25%+ less than what it would have been a year ago). top that off with personal guarantee on the outstanding loan. probably need to JV and use the land as collateral. if i were to guess, think a bank would put a value of $50 psf on the dirt today.

Typical Sicilian!

Hell, even the owner of Interfin is Italian or something like that. Mwahahaha