BankOne Drive-Thru At 300 Louisiana St.

rsb320

The old BankOne drive-thru was torn down yesterday in the 300 block, between Louisiana and Smith. Does anybody know why, and/or if they intend to build something there? The rest of this block has been being used as surface parking. Did we just sprout another entire block for surface parking? Let's hope not.

The old BankOne drive-thru was torn down yesterday in the 300 block, between Louisiana and Smith. Does anybody know why, and/or if they intend to build something there? The rest of this block has been being used as surface parking. Did we just sprout another entire block for surface parking? Let's hope not.

Yeah I had to park there yesterday for Houston Grand Opera rehearsal... YUCK!! I'm sure it'll just be another stupid lot... at least for a little while. Talk about an eyesore downtown!!!!!!

There are loads of these downtown, mostly abandoned/homeless squats. There's one on the Savoy block and one on the old Holiday Inn block. There was another one with a gold dome (WaMu?) on the corner of Leeland and Travis across from the Exxon building, but it was torn down about a year or so ago.

I just wonder why, all of a sudden, they tore it down. It's been vacant for years and it's not like it will increase the parking spaces substantially. We can always keep our fingers crossed that something decent will be developed there.

Is this the metallic early 80's drive-thru bank featured in the movie Paris, Texas?

This was an old BankONE drive thru. It was white with blue accents. I remember the one you're thinking about, but can quite place where it was/is. I'm thinking it was back down in Midtown somewhere (maybe San Jacinto).

That's the one. Funny that I don't recall it being metallic and I went by it every day. Maybe the finish had been painted for faded or something.

Anyway, they are now parking where it stood before. One positive think about this surface lot is that it's landscaped and has good concrete paving, unlike those other crappy broken asphalt lots. There's actually an oasis of greenery in the middle, with bushes around the perimeter.

I just looked at maps.live and indeed, it was white. Also, the landscaping is far more mature than the pic. I just looked out the window. Ah, I figured it out. The metallic one is at 200 Louisiana, between La. and Milam. I can't see it from here, the Kim Son garage is in the way.

I just walked by the metallic one, so it's still there. It's a Chase drive-thru. It must have been built the same time as the TCB/Chase Tower, because it has the same gray granite with chrome/metallic accents.

Regarding the original topic - it's a surface lot, they're already using. I wonder if the price will now go up from $4/day. Still this lot is far more appealing than say, the lot to the north of the Chronicle. What an eyesore.

Question for you real estate experts... what miracle would it take for this lot to be developed into something? Or any of the other parking lots around Market Square?

A dramatic overhaul of Market Square Park, to begin with.

Its so pathetic an attempt at being a park that it may as well be surface parking. At least we can be successful with surface parking. As it is, it just looks half-assed, and I'd rather that Houston be successfully mediocre than a half-ass fabulous.

A dramatic overhaul of Market Square Park, to begin with.

Its so pathetic an attempt at being a park that it may as well be surface parking. At least we can be successful with surface parking. As it is, it just looks half-assed, and I'd rather that Houston be successfully mediocre than a half-ass fabulous.

Wow, we agree on something.

• The title was changed to Project Near City Hall
  • The title was changed to BankOne Drive-Thru At 300 Louisiana St.
  • This topic was locked and unlocked