The Woodlands Homes Selling Fast

celiene

A major problem with the Woodlands is it is difficult to get good offers on a resale when there is so much new construction going up around you. I've built ~12 homes in the Woodlands (different segment of the market, but the concept is the same). Why would one settle for someones second hand when they can get something brand new?

Thanks guys---for all your advice!

Native1--Not taken as a personality contest at all!--just want to stay more on topic---you know how this "stuff" can drift off on these forums--and without seing the/a home for yourself personally--it can digress quickly when you get into particulars.......................and pictures don't tell much--I've seen homes photograph "wonderfully" only to be really disappointed when I tour the home

Anyway---since you know a good bit about The Woodlands real estate--I have a pretty decent question for you:

In the last 7yrs that I lived in the area, what would you "say/guess" has been the average gain in home value?---now, I know the front-end has done better than the rear-end---and empty-nester type developments have done well ( Like Windsor Lakes, and some of the Patio home type communities around Sterling Ridge)

No more real new home development( few spotty here and there finishing out) in the Woodlands beside Creekside Village--which has it's own pros and cons---too

Why do I ask---when my home has sold?

I'll tell you why,

Many of the realtors that work with the realtor that I work with in the city of Houston are surprised that the Woodlands has not gone up more in value than it has--even with new construction (or at least had gains comparable with national averages--which is what I am aiming at here---remember we have a strong economy--or so they tell us)

Reasons why:

Local economy is one of the best in the nation (Houston)

Choice area with decent availabilty of good and services

Decent schools

Safe area---attractive area---you get a decent sized home for the price

Until the housing market "crashed" and the economy went "south" most decent areas in the U.S with a stable economy were seeing a modest 3-4% gain in home values ( closer to 3 if you ask me)

Well, I gotta break it to you---but most of the Woodlands has not seen that type of growth ( unless you know otherwise)--even when the village is "built out" and there isn't any new construction in their price range.......

Also, nobody sure wants to hear this ( disclaimer: DO NOT SHOOT THE SENDER!) but price per square foot has been static for about 5-7 yrs now? ( remember--we have a decent ecomony here those past few years)Doesn't seem like any of the local realtors like to chance "raising the bar" with that number, either--since every other realtor will give feedback as to the fact that they feel the house is "overpriced"

Fact: Custom homes in my sub went for 100-105 sq foot 7yrs ago

They go for 105 now, if you are lucky----whoopie! guess that I didn't lose anything! But my money would have made more sitting in a regular, old bank account---sad! Should have rented and let someone else take care of the pool! LOL!

Anyway,

Moral of the story--most folks are here to raise a family, get a large home in a safe area--but don't count on making a few bucks for your trouble--even in a good economy ( now---don't tell me we could do worse----and be losing money on our homes like in those "other areas"--that's not my "point" here at all---that's another topic----since this isn't exactly Detriot here---or any other bad economy for that matter!)

On top of there always being a newer house down the street, I think it's because no house is allowed to break-out of its neighborhood price point. Everything on the street must be within 10k of each other. With a pool, tack on 40,000 more than the house without a pool. It's like buying a house using The Kelly Blue Book. <_< Improvements are a non-refundable personal pleasure. The land/lot in the Woodlands does not appreciate. This situation keeps things stagnant. Also, there really isn't an "IT" zip code or large "IT" neighborhood to drive an area to break into another dimension of priciness or exclusivity.

Most houses in Houston are going through a second or third life. Each one on the street at a different level or life cycle phase. This allows for appreciation of the dwelling that has been continually improved. It's not uncommon to see a 450,000 ranch sitting next to a 1.5 million dollar house that has been gutted and added on to. The location accounts for the appreciation of the lot/land. School districts, location and exclusivity have created many "IT" neighborhoods in Houston. They are all built out, so resale doesn't bother anyone, and the choices are finite.

Hi All,

I know what you mean, Wilson---but new homes aren't available in all price points, or all areas in the Woodlands anymore ( Creekside is in Tomball schools---and has the same problem as the rear of the Woodlands----it's a real bugger to get to the x-way)

Katie: Agree with you "totally :D "--land is at a premium "down there" and with gas prices being what they are---it will become more so.........

The areas that I had looked at 7 yrs ago in Houston have nearly doubled--even some of the newer areas at the time ( Like Parkway Villages--they have had gains in certain areas of 30-40%--I'd sure like that in my back pocket!)

I Listened to co-workers--and moved here :rolleyes: ---having been told about the total horrors of the real-estate collapse of the early 80's here in Houston---and how, somehow----the Woodlands held it's value better than other areas ( have since found that to be "not so true...." an urban myth of sorts)

So, I gotta tell ya---I don't really recommend the area to "newbies " who ask me anymore <_<:o ---tell them to move into any thing with a SBISD address---and count on remodeling ( what you'll save on gas/ wear and tear on a car will pay for your remodel),unless you have a large family and need a large home, or just can't afford the SBISD area.................

I know that you don't have "large" gains in many master planned communites, esp. if not completely "finished out"---but when your money does better sitting in an acct. at Wells Fargo ( it's no joke---the average acct. makes more in interest than the average home increases in value in the area on a yearly, % basis---even figuring in tax breaks)---then you really do have "problems" :o

I'm sure mentioning the above fact will not make me popular---but it's the truth..........Money manger/CPA investment guru pointed this out to me--Cheaper to rent than own---he said to me----if you want to hang around and buy another home in the area......................I chose not to.............

Lack of community planning? The oldie locals say when George Mitchell ran things--he did a fairly good job on building where there wasn't alot of current re-sale---to keep home values stable................. Interesting ,no?

Native1--...Anyway---since you know a good bit about The Woodlands real estate--I have a pretty decent question for you:

In the last 7yrs that I lived in the area, what would you "say/guess" has been the average gain in home value?---now, I know the front-end has done better than the rear-end---and empty-nester type developments have done well ( Like Windsor Lakes, and some of the Patio home type communities around Sterling Ridge)

I'm really not sure what your point is?

Now excuse me, I might go off-topic a bit... feel free to just not read any further.

You want to make money on a home here in The Woodlands? First, don't buy a custom home. Buy a not-yet-built Village or whatever for as close to $400K as you can get, in a brand-new neighborhood, and put in a pool. After the last home in that neighborhood closes, sell your house for a premium... easiest $100K you can make. Try it, but beware, a lot of the area Realtors are buying up the homes/lots and doing just that.

sowanome is a master miscommunicator.

For Woolie and Musicman..."out with the old and in with the new"..you two are just another pair of outdated houstonians who will realize that things/tastes change even if you dont. Act your age please...It's pretty evident that you two are pushing....pre-50?

You want to make money on a home here in The Woodlands? First, don't buy a custom home. Buy a not-yet-built Village or whatever for as close to $400K as you can get, in a brand-new neighborhood, and put in a pool. After the last home in that neighborhood closes, sell your house for a premium... easiest $100K you can make. Try it, but beware, a lot of the area Realtors are buying up the homes/lots and doing just that.

So, let me get this straight. I drive all over the Woodlands until I find a $400,000 tract home, make an offer, fill out all that home-buying paperwork, go to closing and sign all of that paperwork, find a pool builder and give him $50,000 to put in a pool, sit around for 4 years, list the house for $585,000 (so that I can net $550,000), fill out seller's paperwork, go to closing, sign a bunch more paperwork, and get a big fat check for $100,000. Don't forget to pay your property taxes for 4 years out of that big fat check (approximately $36K to $48K).

OR.....

Invest $450,000 for 4 years at 5% interest, net $100,000.

You're right, your way sounds easier.

"Now excuse me, I might go off-topic a bit... feel free to just not read any further.

You want to make money on a home here in The Woodlands? First, don't buy a custom home. Buy a not-yet-built Village or whatever for as close to $400K as you can get, in a brand-new neighborhood, and put in a pool. After the last home in that neighborhood closes, sell your house for a premium... easiest $100K you can make. Try it, but beware, a lot of the area Realtors are buying up the homes/lots and doing just that."

>>>>>Now Native1--I welcome all ideas/opinions---as you know we don't all agree---but if we only wanted to be told "what we want to hear" we shouldn't be posting on boards like this anyway.................

I bought the last house in the sub back in 2001( the model close out)---and the market had really cratered here after 9-11, and the fall of Enron-so I paid "quite a bit less" :) than my neighbors for comparable homes--and I sold quickly right at asking price ( around 400K) but regardless--even with the neighborhood being fairly"up-front", and having a premium lot---my home appreciation wasn't anything to "brag about" at all ( matter of fact---before the housing crisis hit--my home was not appreciating anywhere near the national averages---which were 2-4% a yr., in an area with a stable ecomony for a home in a fairly sought after neighborhood--just a good area with decent schools---not some high-end upper crust community with people standing in line with offers--those areas always appreciate above the national averages) ......

Anyway,that was the point of my previous posting

I "mused" about how the money that I had invested in my home actually grew no more than the average acct. interest rate in a low-yield fund.....................and I have to say, in all of the planned communities in which I have resided over the years---even with poor local ecomomies at the time of sale, I have always made more money on my home(s) than I have here. Even if they are "still building new homes"

One and Only reason that this amazes me is the fairly robust ecomomy of the area(Houston) and the desirabilty of the area (The Woodlands) I was aware going into this that I wasn't going to have the gains on my property of the average inner-looper.....................LOL! :lol::rolleyes:

So, what I was/am asking you, ( not knowing how long you have been in the area :) ) was what has been the average increase in value of homes in the Woodlands over the last ten years? ( all things considered--and you most likely know what I mean by that---I am aware there are quite a bit of variables to this equation--otherwise--I could just do the search myself)

I ask because you said you're familiar with the local reality "facts" so I just wanted to hear your opinion on the topic, and what makes you come to those conclusions...........so don't take me the wrong way here.......cause I just don't always believe the local area realtors "facts" :blink: ( many times my own research proves them to be slightly "schewed" one way or the other)

As far as realtors buying up the new homes in close-out subs--I had heard it was more like anything they could get a decent price on in Grogans Mill---and then flip them for profit...............

Remember--it's the folks down in Houston who "started" my deep-seated interest in this topic---folks down there in the "hood" think we are all rolling in the bucks from home appreciation here in the "Woods"--and you know---we are all richy rich up here!! (Right?? :) )

So, what I was/am asking you, ( not knowing how long you have been in the area :) ) was what has been the average increase in value of homes in the Woodlands over the last ten years? ( all things considered--and you most likely know what I mean by that---I am aware there are quite a bit of variables to this equation--otherwise--I could just do the search myself)

Yeah, too many variables, I wouldn't know where to start to answer that question. *My* TW home has increased in value $110K in the 5 years since we bought it. I know a lot of people with the same situation and I know a lot of people that won't see that kind of increase because they bought in 2001, or 2004 & since then.

So, let me get this straight. I drive all over the Woodlands until I find a $400,000 tract home, make an offer, fill out all that home-buying paperwork, go to closing and sign all of that paperwork, find a pool builder and give him $50,000 to put in a pool, sit around for 4 years, list the house for $585,000 (so that I can net $550,000), fill out seller's paperwork, go to closing, sign a bunch more paperwork, and get a big fat check for $100,000. Don't forget to pay your property taxes for 4 years out of that big fat check (approximately $36K to $48K).

OR.....

And you don't have to pay the realtor commision out of your 100,000 profit either. Everyone always forgets to subtract that from their "gain." Often its 6% of the sales price.

OR.....

A lot easier even with the realtor fee b/c how many people how 450k to invest vs. the 80k dwn pmt @ 20% dwn....(that's not including the pool). The avg buyer of this kind house will not have 450k cash, they will more likely have near 200k cash if their lucky(of course that doesn't include their 401k money).

For Woolie and Musicman..."out with the old and in with the new"..you two are just another pair of outdated houstonians who will realize that things/tastes change even if you dont. Act your age please...It's pretty evident that you two are pushing....pre-50?

let's see aren't you the one who didn't realize that all people can be victims of racism, not just blacks? if that's not living in the past i don't know what is. come on sowannbe, "out with the old and in with the new." it's not 1950 anymore.

let's see aren't you the one who didn't realize that all people can be victims of racism, not just blacks? if that's not living in the past i don't know what is. come on sowannbe, "out with the old and in with the new." it's not 1950 anymore.

True and it's 2008, and people like you are still around (as racist as ever, only a racist would say we're past that era). You old fart! (pre 50) :rolleyes: go get a tan.. :D

I cant wait until you finally get it...you've probably said the "N" word before and have never had minority friends.

True and it's 2008, and people like you are still around (as racist as ever, only a racist would say we're past that era). You old fart! (pre 50) :rolleyes: go get a tan.. :D

I cant wait until you finally get it...you've probably said the "N" word before and have never had minority friends.

LOL do you realize a N can be any color?

N - a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people

Wow, musicman. you just knowlingly admitted your hatred. Should i really spell out "N****$"? You are not worth my time anymore.

Good Luck and the best to your family (Including those before them that started this whole legacy for you to carry on) and I hope your kids dont carry the same attitude. I so hope that you dont have kids.

Wow, musicman. you just knowlingly admitted your hatred. Should i really spell out "N****{:content:}quot;? You are not worth my time anymore.

Good Luck and the best to your family (Including those before them that started this whole legacy for you to carry on) and I hope your kids dont carry the same attitude. I so hope that you dont have kids.

Are you high?

Wow, musicman. you just knowlingly admitted your hatred. Should i really spell out "N****$"? You are not worth my time anymore.

Are you drunk, or are you just a POS in general? I know what I think you are, but I am curious as to how POSs describe themselves.

Are you drunk, or are you just a POS in general? I know what I think you are, but I am curious as to how POSs describe themselves.

Wow, the redheck scared me(why such harsh words :rolleyes: ? i've done nothing to you. But, I've heard all of the immigrant, illegal alien and people of color jokes on here and i'm tired of ignoring it)...so you're taking up for him b/c you are obviously of the same hatred group...and the hatred lives on.

Are you high?

No, but you're the picture that you have up looks like it is....Are you a minority hater?

But, I've heard all of the immigrant, illegal alien and people of color jokes on here and i'm tired of ignoring it)...so you're taking up for him b/c you are obviously of the same hatred group...and the hatred lives on.

Apparently, you cannot read, either. Feel free to dig through my voluminous posts to find all of the race baiting, immigrant bashing and homeless trashing that I have posted or encouraged. I'd love to read them.

Apparently, you cannot read, either. Feel free to dig through my voluminous posts to find all of the race baiting, immigrant bashing and homeless trashing that I have posted or encouraged. I'd love to read them.

Wasn't speaking about you specifically until you joined musicman (only someone with identical views would join him), and check out his "BET" comment. What does that mean? Musicman are you bitter? Redheck, please mind your business next time and don't assist in the lynching...

Bye the way Musicman, racism doesn't exist on the same level for whites as it does for non-whites..It's America, people say that they want diversity, but they don't want their next door neighbor being a person of color (latino, black, etc), because this is an indicator of falling property values.... Most people still don't want their kids bringing home/dating a minority..IT's the truth, and I've heard the conversation in Public in Highland village before..peace..

This thread is really showing who's living in the 20th and the 21th century. It's okay to talk about race in a civil manner, but to demean someone because of their race is sick. You cannot hate someone for something they had no choice in. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't pick the color of your skin when you're born.

Wasn't speaking about you specifically until you joined musicman (only someone with identical views would join him), and check out his "BET" comment. What does that mean? Musicman are you bitter? Redheck, please mind your business next time and don't assist in the lynching...

Lynching? What are you talking about?

Bye the way Musicman, racism doesn't exist on the same level for whites as it does for non-whites..It's America, people say that they want diversity, but they don't want their next door neighbor being a person of color (latino, black, etc), because this is an indicator of falling property values.... Most people still don't want their kids bringing home/dating a minority..IT's the truth, and I've heard the conversation in Public in Highland village before..peace..

I must have missed the post(s) where musicman wrote anything like you seem to think he wrote. Was this in some thread that I'm unaware of? Where are you getting all of this?

Wasn't speaking about you specifically until you joined musicman (only someone with identical views would join him),

Hmm...isn't this what you decry, the stereotyping of people without knowing them? If you had done a little checking, before you opened that shotgun mouth of yours, you'd have found that few people on this forum have been quicker to condemn racist, prejudiced or other stereotypical statements than I have. I don't know who you are, and don't care, but I can assure you that your acidic tone and shotgun mouth (on this and other threads) has garnered you no sympathy, even if musicman's comments were racist. And, I can assure you that my animosity toward you is not the result of racism (if indeed you are a minority), it is because you are an ass.

Now that I have spent far more time addressing you than I ever intended, I am through with this topic, you, and your asinine comments.

Sowanome it's people like YOU that keep racism alive and well. Someone has a picture of Academy Award winning director Orson Welles as an avatar and now they're racist and high? or is that more stereotyping on your part? as for dating a minority, i wouldn't have a problem but if they were a rude racist, i sure would.

• The title was changed to The Woodlands Homes Selling Fast
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived