The Woodlands Homes Selling Fast

celiene

Hi Folks,

I have lived in The Woodlands for 7yrs now---put my home on the market a few weeks back....................I know what the listing agent "says'---but there is nothing like hearing other people's experinces/opinions..........................

First Problem: No pool--from what I hear--the homes that move quickly have pools ( whether they are well maintained, or not)

Good Issues: House is in excellent shape ( 10yrs old---doesn't need any updating per the staging company, neutral colors, ect.) on a decent sized, cul-de-sac lot

It's a former model ( for what that's worth?) and has alot of upgrades---nice family home---5 bedrooms

Now, there is always alot of competion here---many re-sale homes as well as new construction---we are in common--mid-range price point for the area............

I was told about 30-45 days or so for the sale is common in my range, Problem: anyone I have talked to lately who isn't a local realtor tells me it is quite a bit longer..........some of these folks sold their homes and bought another home in the area ( downsizing---upgrading--whatever)

Just wondering/curious what y'all hear???

Hi Folks,

I have lived in The Woodlands for 7yrs now---put my home on the market a few weeks back....................I know what the listing agent "says'---but there is nothing like hearing other people's experinces/opinions..........................

First Problem: No pool--from what I hear--the homes that move quickly have pools ( whether they are well maintained, or not)

Good Issues: House is in excellent shape ( 10yrs old---doesn't need any updating per the staging company, neutral colors, ect.) on a decent sized, cul-de-sac lot

It's a former model ( for what that's worth?) and has alot of upgrades---nice family home---5 bedrooms

Now, there is always alot of competion here---many re-sale homes as well as new construction---we are in common--mid-range price point for the area............

I was told about 30-45 days or so for the sale is common in my range, Problem: anyone I have talked to lately who isn't a local realtor tells me it is quite a bit longer..........some of these folks sold their homes and bought another home in the area ( downsizing---upgrading--whatever)

We sold our cul-de-sac George Weaver last year for a loss of 117,000 ( not including improvements), first owners and a resale after 2.5 years. It was extremely well decorated and spotless.This was back in Sterling Ridge. It sucked. The draw back? We did formal English Gardens versus a basic pool, therefore we were automatically 60k less than any other house. People want a pool up there,period. They don't want to put it in, they want it all now now now. Most are transfers up there and don't want to be bothered with having to work at anything.

Houses we were up against in 6/2007 are still on the market by the way. If you get out even after improvements and commissions, count yourself very very lucky.

I think we've always made about 250k+ on every house we sold in Houston within less than 2 weeks, but The Woodlands was a losing game. I was HIGHLY frustrated by the pool issue, because in Houston it has nothing to do with a house's final prices...at all. We couldn't even sell without one even after dropping the price to account for one, yet our home was far more finished than most other homes in the neighborhood. We are back in Houston now an can already make a huge profit on the old house we remodeled. In fact we had an agent call and offer way more than we bought it for plus remodel.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

Hi Folks,

Ask your realtor for comps in the area. You will get an excellent idea of just how long it will take... I would say a "median house" (that is, median sq footage, median baths, median-ish price) will sell in the median amount of days - as an estimate. Median - not average. If your house is beyond the medians (e.g. priced too high, too small, etc.), then... it may be a little harder to judge... Not having a pool can be a plus. Many people see pools as just extra maintenance.

Well, The Woodlands is a booming area. It has a ton of new development. That's the first problem. Why buy a used home when you can get a new one for roughly the same price? The second thing I'd ask you is, are you a clean person? Was the house in order when it was shown? Was it cluttered with furniture? Was the yard kept up? Was there cosmetic work that needed to be done?

The reason I ask is because our home sold in The Woodlands...and it wasn't even on the market! Our neighbors literally came up and asked us if we were willing to sell it! Our house was in perfect shape and didn't need any work AT ALL. There grandmother was moving here from Pennsylvania and wanted a nice home that had been taken care of. They offered us more than we would have asked and we took it! Our neighbors home across the street sold in less than 48 hours. It can be done. I hope you don't take offense to what I asked you above. I was just curious. It's the little things that could turn somebody off. Also keep in mind that the mortgage crisis is really taking a toll.

Hi All,

Katie: Sorry to hear about losing all that money---ouch!! that really "s*cks"!!!!!!

I have read previous postings by you last yr. with regard to what you were going through---and alot of what you said about the area is "very true" whether people want to hear it or not.......

Anyway..........

My house was staged---they arranged the furniture and such----plus, there is only the DH and me living here---no kids or pets-----realtor's who have showed the house so far have remarked in the feedback about "How clean and maintained it is"--and they wished that their listings would do the same......................

We are in the mid-300k range---which is a very average price out here..... I have all the local comps---price seems right in line with every other listing

BTW--I did lose a buyer to the Katy school district with three teenage boys---seems two of their high schools made the top ten list in Houston---and none of the Woodlands High schools even made the list this year.......not having kiddo's, I am not really privy to more information as to " the why"---although local parents have shared their thoughts with me as to "why" this happened...........

I have never really lived in surburbia before-----and I am just hoping to see the Woodlands fading away in my rear-view mirror "soon"

Both hubby and I work downtown, and it seems most of our other interests are located down there as well

My take--I'll just end up with the shirt on my back ( break even)---and it will probably take me all summer to do that..... I haven't brought another place yet---might build in the city---so I have time on my side---at least for now

I have never really lived in surburbia before-----and I am just hoping to see the Woodlands fading away in my rear-view mirror "soon"

WE hear you there. The boys made me blast Daughtry's "I'm Going Home" and honk all the way over the flyover on the way out as we followed the moving trucks towards home. I'm so happy to be back in Houston, I could bust....still. I absolutely adore where I live once again.

I know its frustrating to compete with "the new house" down the block, but hopefully it will come soon. Our agent told us houses without a pool up there average 180 days on the market. I never will understand the pool thing, ever. We have one once again, it was already here but the yard is massive, and the pool is just as big of a pain in the butt as our Tanglewood one.

House is in excellent shape ( 10yrs old---doesn't need any updating per the staging company, neutral colors, ect.

For that price range, with no pool, I'd be looking for updates. I'd want a remodeled kitchen (granite, new appliances), master bath, a new coat of paint everywhere, and updated light fixtures.

[For that price range, with no pool, I'd be looking for updates. I'd want a remodeled kitchen (granite, new appliances), master bath, a new coat of paint everywhere, and updated light fixtures.

Gotta break the news to you---it already had all those bells and whistles when I bought it 7 yrs back--it was a "Maxed out custom MeyerLeigh" model--67k in upgrades---not including landscaping (21k back then)---almost impossible to find in a home in that price range currently (new) with those upgrades

I was the first owner---home was a model for 3yrs till the area was built out---builder replaced all appliances, etc. before I moved in--The place even had 35K in custom draperies

It's been in one of the Woodlands "glossies" some time back--so it's no dog...........was custom decorated

Homes in my area/sub go for about 40K more with a pool--so you are paying for the pool when you buy the house-unless you can chew them down---which I doubt---as every home on HAR.com which has a pool in this price range currently has a option on it

Anyway---that wasn't the point here, nor my question---it was about selling time---home is in top shape---as I stated--it was staged--this was their opinion--not mine---as mine doesn't matter ( nor would yours unless you were buying the home) that's why you have a professional stage the home for you............

BTW---Average home price in The Woodlands is about 285K to 300K--I know in the back section of Terramont that buys you about 1,000 sq ft. less house than it does in say, Alden Bridge---even in a home of comparable age........................do your homework---I've gone to open houses, etc---as I was going to sell this home and purchase in Grogan's Point( yes, I know it's more expensive--that's not the issue here) to try to shorten my commute time to the Medical center---before I just decided to bite the bullet and move in closer....

And yes, I know that I would have to at least do some remodeling in Grogans Point in an older home--but since I'm going to be someone who builds downtown---I guess that's a "moot issue"

PM me the address if you want unbiased comps.

flipper

Hi Flipper,

Gotta tell ya--I don't e-mail anybody my address--too risky these days....but thanks for the offer!

Anyway---followed you threads on the board about, well, flipping houses!!!----very interesting!!

Gotta tell ya--I don't e-mail anybody my address--too risky these days....but thanks for the offer!

You don't have to give your e-mail address. A PM (or 'Private Message') is sent using the forum software. Just click on Flipper's name and select to view his profile. Once viewing it you can select to send him a PM.

If Flipper replies, the forum software will send an automatic notice to your e-mail address, but it won't give it away to anybody.

You don't have to give your e-mail address. A PM (or 'Private Message') is sent using the forum software. Just click on Flipper's name and select to view his profile. Once viewing it you can select to send him a PM.

If Flipper replies, the forum software will send an automatic notice to your e-mail address, but it won't give it away to anybody.

Pretty sure she isn't worried about her email, but her physical address...

Gotta break the news to you

I just did a HAR search for 5 bedrooms under $400K and came up with oodles of less than 5 years old, "updated", and "backyard oasis". If I can get a newer, or updated home with a pool, why would I want your 10yr old home?

Regardless what your staging company says, *I* am your average buyer out here.

Two house sold on our street this past month. One had a pool and the other one did not. The one without sold the same weekend it went on the market. The other one sold in two weeks after it went on the market. Both were ready to move in without any repairs or upgrades. Fron what I have seen, the most important consideration is that poeple do not want a house that is out of date or in disrepair. New flooring whether it be carpet or wood is usually a very good selling point. It just depends on the neighborhood and the buyers. Some people would never have a swimming pool due to the danger to children. I have observed that folks with teenagers usually want swimming pools so that they can bring friends to their home, while younger families do not, but that is far from being universal. So how do you compete? Curb appeal and inside upgrades.

I just did a HAR search for 5 bedrooms under $400K and came up with oodles of less than 5 years old, "updated", and "backyard oasis". If I can get a newer, or updated home with a pool, why would I want your 10yr old home?

Regardless what your staging company says, *I* am your average buyer out here.

Native1---Quite honestly--I was not out here to ask for your "personal advice" on my home, and you have quite an attitude towards me on this post, so stick to my original question-----and BTW---if the web-site is you are advertising at the bottom of your posting has anything to do with you "personally"---our paths have crossed...........I'll let you think on that one for awhile.... and we got along, at least in passing ( you just never know who you might be talking to on publice-boards---do you? Obviously Celiene is not my real name....)

Anyway--if you are the average customer---so am I, and you should buy what ever the heck you want---but keep in mind---like a car---the minute you sign the purchase agreement and live in the house---it's "resale----and you are in the same boat with everbody else--unless you are selling a teardown in the loop!!

So, I recommend to you:

About 60k into a pool in your yard--about half of that also in "new landscaping"

Yearly new carpet and paint, esp. if you have kids/ or your hardwood floors refinished annually--BTW--I hate carpet---so re-do the whole thing in hardwoods to make me happy--pretty please! ( Most buyer prefer hardwoods)

New kitchen and baths every five yrs---or your home will be dated ( i.e., it won't look like what I see on HGTV--so I will just have to pass....)

Completely new kitchen--and I don't want stainless steel ( too many finger prints) I want the appiliances to match all my other "custom" cabinets--so they don't really stand out in the kitchen--plus I want all Wolf appliances--I don't mind if they are a few yrs old, though......since they beat out other appliances hands down

I want a new whirlpool tub in the master bath, too---since I don't want to take a "tubby" in a tub that you have used......

Remember---once my home sells--I'm a customer, too, looking for another house---so I thought I'd just tell you what you are up against if you ever sell your home--- as "I" am a potential client who might think about buying it ( as "I" am an average buyer, too!!!)

---But one thing I "forget" to mention in our above "conversations" (because it wasn't "about" my home personally, anyway--it was about what the average selling time is---yes, we all know that houses not up to "snuff" don't sell easily" unless they are in the famous "loop"!))--I do, indeed have a water feature on my property..........."It's called "Lake Woodlands"---yep---right in my back yard!!

Pool will look real nice next to that---don't cha think? Never put one in because I travel for business---didn't want to maintain it.

Plus that puts me right up front in the "hood"---lots of folks like to be close to the front section---with gas price heading towards 4 bucks--who wouldn't??

As far as a ten year old house verus brand new---that's up to the client looking to purchase the home---many homes older than that sell easily---due to being towards the front of The Woodlands, or having a decent custom builder to begin with ( true as far as pools go also---some of the pool builders out here are not so wonderful--I have a friend who bought a five yr old home---and is having to stick 15 k into it---yes, I was inspected---but the re-bar wasn't done correctly---the previous owner didn't even know about it--as they are still in the Woodlands--- and they both go to the same church, so they have spoken about the issue..........)

I have an inspection that states nothing is wrong with the home.--but all buyers should have their own done---and MeyerLeigh builds a pretty decent home---unlike many other builders out there---do your research and see just how many locals have had to go into arbitration with some of those "tract" builders out there ( not just here--anywhere---alot of new homes are built poorly these days)

Anyway--It's under contract as of tonight---so, if everything goes thru ( it's a cash sale) It sold in under two weeks time

Thanks to all of you for your "sound" advice---and Native1---I gotta say---next time, please stay on topic!!!! At least with me, I'm not interested into getting into the nitty gritty of it all about the house---I answered your question(s) since I'm sure you were trying to help, but you sure had a roundabout way of doing it LOL!!!

Katie: If you read this--I am really glad to hear that things are working out at your home in Memorial---best to you and your family---you offered up "sound advice" and experince--Thank you, Kindly!!

just a note, many people in 200-400k range, 30 year old homes in the north millbend area are sinking big money into their homes. i'm not sure if these are new purchases or current home owners spending the money. i've noticed much activity over the last year or so. i called a realtor in the area to see her opinion and she said that expectations are high in that price range. if you can stand renovations and having to be creative in exchange for close proximity to the hardy and town center........?

if you want something shiny and new, you'll have to move deep into the woodlands and will suffer home value issues for awhile (because of the amount of 250-400k homes being built).

Congrats on your contract! I do hope it all works out.

Look, this isn't a personality contest. You post a message on a message board and you're going to get a lot of opinions - some of which you don't want or don't agree with. What's the big deal? Don't take it personally.

I have experience with the Real Estate market out here. It's MY OPINION that in general, custom homes are overpriced. People don't live here long enough to enjoy the craftsmanship of a true custom home. People want nearly 4000 sq ft, right under $400K, upgraded to the hilt, new, new, new, with a pool, and they could care less who built it because they're going to be in it less than 5 years.

It's nothing personal - but the market out here hasn't slowed down - buyers are waiting to see if the home prices will drop, but they're not dropping much and the sellers are not *having* to sell, so they're waiting for a higher offer.

Come buy a townhouse down here in midtown, or museum district. Many excellent options for $400k. The train is absolutely the best way to get to work in the TMC; I use it every day, stress free.

Oh wow, I just found this posting today while searching the internet.

We were relocated to The Woodlands when DH took a job Downtown. The "corporate realtor" just couldn't suggest any place nicer for us to live. We ended up buying here, but after a year we put our house on the market. It's been three months and I really want to be able to get into a home in Houston before the summer is over. It looks like from the responses that the houses do sell, it just takes time. This place isn't for us, at all. Being from Atlanta, we're just used to more than a resort style Market Street and different population personality.

Please help me out in a post I will be posting in the real estate section. I don't want to go off topic here. :D We're looking for an area in Houston similar to Buckhead.

Oh wow, I just found this posting today while searching the internet.

We were relocated to The Woodlands when DH took a job Downtown. The "corporate realtor" just couldn't suggest any place nicer for us to live. We ended up buying here, but after a year we put our house on the market. It's been three months and I really want to be able to get into a home in Houston before the summer is over. It looks like from the responses that the houses do sell, it just takes time. This place isn't for us, at all. Being from Atlanta, we're just used to more than a resort style Market Street and different population personality.

Please help me out in a post I will be posting in the real estate section. I don't want to go off topic here. :D We're looking for an area in Houston similar to Buckhead.

Do yourself a favor and drive from downtown houston, heading west on prarie (which turns into Memorial Drive)and drive west until you get to Memorial Park and at this point make a uturn (Only continue west up memorial if your price range is at least $900K) and head back east up Memorial until you arrive at the Sheperd Exit, which is one shortly after the light at Detering. Once you get to the next light, which is Sheperd, turn right and stay in the right lane, in order to turn right at the next light, which is "Kirby" (this is where Allen Parkway coming from downtown, turns into Kirby). Now, Once your're on Kirby continue to drive straight down Kirby and take a Left at W.Alabama (which is just South of Westheimer and is also the street that Whole Foods is located on). Now drive down W. Alabama (heading East) and turn left on Sheperd. Drive up Sheperd until you reach W.Gray and turn right onto W.Gray....drive up W.Gray and turn Left at Waugh. Drive up Waugh and turn right at allen Parkway and take this will take you back downtown.. This is a pretty good trip that will allow you to see various parks, etc that I'm sure you may haven't seen before. When you take this trip feel free to dip off into the various communities and have a map in hand. This trip is also good to show off communties that you'd like to next to (hint: that's why a lot of areas are doing so well, you can't build another River Oaks, Montrose, Memorial Park, Buffalo Park, etc. I'm sure you've been to Midtown, the Museum district and the montrose area, but I assure you that this trip is worth it!!

Do yourself a favor and drive from downtown houston, heading west on prarie (which turns into Memorial Drive)and drive west until you get to Memorial Park and at this point make a uturn (Only continue west up memorial if your price range is at least $900K) and head back east up Memorial until you arrive at the Sheperd Exit, which is one shortly after the light at Detering. Once you get to the next light, which is Sheperd, turn right and stay in the right lane, in order to turn right at the next light, which is "Kirby" (this is where Allen Parkway coming from downtown, turns into Kirby). Now, Once your're on Kirby continue to drive straight down Kirby and take a Left at W.Alabama (which is just South of Westheimer and is also the street that Whole Foods is located on). Now drive down W. Alabama (heading East) and turn left on Sheperd. Drive up Sheperd until you reach W.Gray and turn right onto W.Gray....drive up W.Gray and turn Left at Waugh. Drive up Waugh and turn right at allen Parkway and take this will take you back downtown..
i'm getting car sick just reading this.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys---for all your advice!

Native1--Not taken as a personality contest at all!--just want to stay more on topic---you know how this "stuff" can drift off on these forums--and without seing the/a home for yourself personally--it can digress quickly when you get into particulars.......................and pictures don't tell much--I've seen homes photograph "wonderfully" only to be really disappointed when I tour the home

Anyway---since you know a good bit about The Woodlands real estate--I have a pretty decent question for you:

In the last 7yrs that I lived in the area, what would you "say/guess" has been the average gain in home value?---now, I know the front-end has done better than the rear-end---and empty-nester type developments have done well ( Like Windsor Lakes, and some of the Patio home type communities around Sterling Ridge)

No more real new home development( few spotty here and there finishing out) in the Woodlands beside Creekside Village--which has it's own pros and cons---too

Why do I ask---when my home has sold?

I'll tell you why,

Many of the realtors that work with the realtor that I work with in the city of Houston are surprised that the Woodlands has not gone up more in value than it has--even with new construction (or at least had gains comparable with national averages--which is what I am aiming at here---remember we have a strong economy--or so they tell us)

Reasons why:

Local economy is one of the best in the nation (Houston)

Choice area with decent availabilty of good and services

Decent schools

Safe area---attractive area---you get a decent sized home for the price

Until the housing market "crashed" and the economy went "south" most decent areas in the U.S with a stable economy were seeing a modest 3-4% gain in home values ( closer to 3 if you ask me)

Well, I gotta break it to you---but most of the Woodlands has not seen that type of growth ( unless you know otherwise)--even when the village is "built out" and there isn't any new construction in their price range.......

Also, nobody sure wants to hear this ( disclaimer: DO NOT SHOOT THE SENDER!) but price per square foot has been static for about 5-7 yrs now? ( remember--we have a decent ecomony here those past few years)Doesn't seem like any of the local realtors like to chance "raising the bar" with that number, either--since every other realtor will give feedback as to the fact that they feel the house is "overpriced"

Fact: Custom homes in my sub went for 100-105 sq foot 7yrs ago

They go for 105 now, if you are lucky----whoopie! guess that I didn't lose anything! But my money would have made more sitting in a regular, old bank account---sad! Should have rented and let someone else take care of the pool! LOL!

Anyway,

Moral of the story--most folks are here to raise a family, get a large home in a safe area--but don't count on making a few bucks for your trouble--even in a good economy ( now---don't tell me we could do worse----and be losing money on our homes like in those "other areas"--that's not my "point" here at all---that's another topic----since this isn't exactly Detriot here---or any other bad economy for that matter!)

Archived