Houston Deco Book Signing

Houston_Deco%20copy.jpg

JOIN US ON THURSDAY, APRIL 24, 2008

FROM 5 - 8 PM FOR A SIGNING OF THE NEW BOOK "HOUSTON DECO"

MEET THE AUTHORS DAVID BUSH AND JIM PARSONS!

Houston Deco documents Houston's surviving Art Deco and Art Moderne architecture in beautiful color photographs. Images showcase the fine detailing on these frequently overlooked buildings. From downtown landmarks to East End industrial sites, Houston Deco captures the grace and beauty of these innovative designs. Jim Parsons and David Bush have documented historic buildings across the city for the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance. This book is an outgrowth of "Endangered Deco," a project to increase awareness of historic modernistic buildings that are threatened by demolition or neglect.

8X8. 120 pp. 120 full-color photographs. index. Hardcover with Jacket $24.95

PLUS a free black and white poster (20.00 value) of vintage Houston showing the Gulf and Esperson buildings with every book purchased!

2616 FONDREN, HOUSTON, TX 77063 - 713-782-5011 FOR MORE INFO or visit our web

Looks awesome -- I'll be there with bells on, and I'll buy a copy of the book, too. I presume the book has the old 1940 airport temrinal in it?

-- Angeli, "Armchair Architecture Student"

There's one full picture with a couple of detail shots.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks awesome -- I'll be there with bells on, and I'll buy a copy of the book, too. I presume the book has the old 1940 airport temrinal in it?

Hiya, I showed up (though not with bells on :-) ), bought a copy of the book and had it signed. It turns out to be a really wondeful book with tons of color photos -- lots of eye candy for the Art Deco buff. I'm amazed it costs only $25, which is pretty reasonable for that kind of book. Some places I've already known about, since I live in the Montrose area and pass by them all the time, but I'll have to check out the other places. One of the more interesting chapters in the book is "Hidden History" which discusses disguised Art Deco buildings. For example, I had no idea the strip mall at Westheimer and Montrose (the one with Half-Price Books) was originally an Art Deco building. I thought it was built in 80's or something.

Archived