Since when is a mall a "Town Center?"

I kind of hate this trend of building "town centers" that are really just malls. Okay, full disclosure: I've only been to one, once, briefly. So, am I wrong? Do these include anything other than restaurants and retail? Even if they include some residential, I don't think that makes it a town center.

Here's my list of what anything claiming to be a "town center" should be required to include. PLease feel free to add to the wish list:

1. Public library

2. a nice park/green space with benches, a pond, and ducks

3. Bicycle racks

4. Sidewalks

5. Trees

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "town center" occurs where a mall developer wants to forgo the cost of a roof over common areas and constant air conditioning, but at the same time needs to continue to draw an upscale clientele. By calling it a "town center", there remains sufficient pretension that white people will shop there.

A "town center" occurs where a mall developer wants to forgo the cost of a roof over common areas and constant air conditioning, but at the same time needs to continue to draw an upscale clientele. By calling it a "town center", there remains sufficient pretension that white people will shop there.

Yes, and I suppose that those same people can feel like, instead of just shopping, they are actually engaging in some sort of social, community-based activity, because they are going to the town center.

But doesn't anyone want to be idealistic? What would you put in the "town center?"

Yes, and I suppose that those same people can feel like, instead of just shopping, they are actually engaging in some sort of social, community-based activity, because they are going to the town center.

But doesn't anyone want to be idealistic? What would you put in the "town center?"

Well we live within a mile of the new CityCenter and T&C village and they are making life a one stop shop. Gourmet restuarants,Spa, Lifetime fitness, 5 star hotel, Randalls Flagship,Dry Cleaner, rumored speciality market, Post office, bookstore, movie theater, $$$$ retail and pretty much everything that keeps a house and family going.

A library branch would be nice in there though..but that's a county thing and they can't afford CityCentre. Having Niemans return would be a perk. Or a Nordstroms go in.

Not that finding everything you need within a mile of your house is hard in Houston...at all. But this particular one does make it a one stop, park once, shopping experience within minutes of home.

If I wanted to make any money, a Neiman Marcus, an Apple store, a La Madeline restaurant, and the like.

If the City will pay some significant price, they can be a tenant too, but I'm going to require that any library be stocked with Apple computers on the first floor and that all the books be out of sight. Otherwise, it makes the place appear too stodgy and uncool, elements that don't go well with money and pretension.

Why single out "white" people?

Malls became "town centers" back in the 80's as far as I can remember.

Before the driving age, people would walk to and gather in the town center. When everyone got behind the wheel of an automobile, malls became the de facto gathering and socializing place for the new generations (mine included).

It's why you see Mexican girls being paraded around the Galleria for that big 14th or 15th birthday celebration they have. Back in Mexico, their families would have promenaded them around the zocalo. The Galleria is as close as Houston has to a cultural town center. That's true of a lot of cities, not just Houston.

So even if a developer calls their project a "Towne Centre," it still won't be able to compete. It's just a name.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/

Because whether Simon or General Growth are willing to acknowledge it or not, new Town Centers don't get built anywhere except near where affluent white people live.

and as evidenced by the lack of a dollar store, auto parts store, laundromat or coin op car wash at town centres.

what mall is a town center?

I don't mind them as long as they don't try to make it look like something out a 1950's movie.

what town center is made to look like a 1950's movie?

personally, i couldn't care less what they call it. i'm jazzed that developers are seeing the need for public spaces that draw people together (and concentrating growth). growing up in conroe, going to private school, the only social gatherings took place at church or school. living near the woodlands "town center" provides constant social interaction. i'm running into neighbors, family and coworkers everywhere i go. it's great. free concerts, festivals, public events galore. i love it. waterway square opens this month. yet another place for people to gather. twenty story condo tower, more mid rise offices. constant activity.

yes, i drank the kool aid and i love it.

personally, i couldn't care less what they call it. i'm jazzed that developers are seeing the need for public spaces that draw people together (and concentrating growth). growing up in conroe, going to private school, the only social gatherings took place at church or school. living near the woodlands "town center" provides constant social interaction. i'm running into neighbors, family and coworkers everywhere i go. it's great. free concerts, festivals, public events galore.

Yes, but they are still basically malls without roofs, right? Malls have always served many of the same functions. We haven't come too far from the days of Gulfgate and Meyerland!

Btw, if you really want to sound like a developer, it should be "town centre".

[ the woodlands "town center" provides constant social interaction. i'm running into neighbors, family and coworkers everywhere i go. it's great. free concerts, festivals, public events galore. i love it. waterway square opens this month. yet another place for people to gather. twenty story condo tower, more mid rise offices. constant activity.

yes, i drank the kool aid and i love it.

See, concerts, festivals, etc... that's great. That sounds like a "town center." I don't think you drank the kool aid. But when I read about, for example, "Shadow Creek Ranch Town Center," from what I can tell, it's just a glorified strip mall. Again, if I'm wrong, great. But I think this concept, which it sounds like has been applied well in some places, is getting tagged on as a name to development in some areas that is strictly retail.

I'll be curious to see how the CityCentre goes over in Houston for one major reason, most burbs that have a center have residents that are willing to drive to 20 minutes to get to it because that's all there is.

Houstonians don't NEED to drive 20 minutes to get to everything a "center" will provide. Is it a perk? Yes. Is it a needed thing? Not really. I think it the sucess of centers in Houston will have to do the residents within a 5 minute drive of it. Does this mean more centers? One for every part of town? Probably.

i agree. i think the success of places like the woodlands town center are being capitalized on by lesser developers. the woodlands town center is not one development but many in a specifically planned location. performing arts, museums, shopping, restaurants, library, offices, hotels, residential, government offices, hospitals and so on. market street and the mall are simply located in the greater "town center".

i chuckle every time i pass by shadow creek ranch on 288. the development around memorial city and "city centre" have more potential as town centers, IMO. if they could connect the two with a some smashing public spaces...........but i digress. a mall or shopping center does not a "town center" make.

I am unfortunate enough to have had my office move from the Galleria to the Almeda wasteland near (just east of on 2234) SCR, and I think everything down here is just a shopping center. I hate it. This area has no character whatsoever. Only mud and traffic lights that take forever. And landfills. I did hear something about a water lights district (?) that sounded neat, but I think it's basically another shopping center with restaurants, but on a canal. Maybe I need to read up on that, could be something more interesting.

i agree. i think the success of places like the woodlands town center are being capitalized on by lesser developers. the woodlands town center is not one development but many in a specifically planned location. performing arts, museums, shopping, restaurants, library, offices, hotels, residential, government offices, hospitals and so on. market street and the mall are simply located in the greater "town center".

i chuckle every time i pass by shadow creek ranch on 288. the development around memorial city and "city centre" have more potential as town centers, IMO. if they could connect the two with a some smashing public spaces...........but i digress. a mall or shopping center does not a "town center" make.

Bach, I think MCM and CityCentre are starting to blend a little, with Memorial Herman and Memorial Middle school really only being the major structures seperating them. But I think it will all be considered the same area at some point. We are talking a mile at the most between them.

There are parks (Bendwood is one of them) that are going to be redeveloped right by CityCentre and some are suggesting a tram/trolley like TW has between them. But we'll see. It's a very urban version of a Town Center.

I'll be curious to see how the CityCentre goes over in Houston for one major reason, most burbs that have a center have residents that are willing to drive to 20 minutes to get to it because that's all there is.

Houstonians don't NEED to drive 20 minutes to get to everything a "center" will provide. Is it a perk? Yes. Is it a needed thing? Not really. I think it the sucess of centers in Houston will have to do the residents within a 5 minute drive of it. Does this mean more centers? One for every part of town? Probably.

yes, but what if these town centers provide a format for concentrated growth? great if they pop up everywhere; each part of town having a more defined identity with social events and community activities.

i used to go in to houston for everything. i don't have to now. all of my needs are met here. isn't that a good thing? of course, i miss the menil, mo mong, nippon and zimm's. there are some things you can't replicate.

yes, but what if these town centers provide a format for concentrated growth? great if they pop up everywhere; each part of town having a more defined identity with social events and community activities.

i used to go in to houston for everything. i don't have to now. all of my needs are met here. isn't that a good thing? of course, i miss the menil, mo mong, nippon and zimm's. there are some things you can't replicate.

I think each part of Houston already has a "defined identity." Its urban here, its unrealistic to expect people to hold hands and skip through the daisies together at "community activites." Too many weirdos we don't want to hold hands with. ;)

I think each part of Houston already has a "defined identity." Its urban here, its unrealistic to expect people to hold hands and skip through the daisies together at "community activites." Too many weirdos we don't want to hold hands with. ;)

LMAO. cumbaya my lord, cumbaya! ;)

i protest nothing.

going into houston it sounds like it.

living in the burb is the epitome of social interaction. they all hang out together with their children playing at each other's house, playing teeball together and then out to dinner at chili's.

living in the burb is the epitome of social interaction. they all hang out together with their children playing at each other's house, playing teeball together and then out to dinner at chili's.

Urban families do this too. The major exception being the Chilis part and the fact we trek to other neighborhoods to do this with families we really, really like. We don't have to be BFF's with the direct neighbors just because we live there. We don't have to even talk to our neighbors and its still socially acceptable and not an inch scandalous.

Archived