Four Toll Lanes on I-10?

First off, WXman, watch the language. You may allude to it, but try to keep it civil. Some of us (namely me) can be a bit Neanderthalish in mannerisms and vocabulary, but we "skirt" with euphemisms and metaphors. Let's try to keep the outright language cleaner, there are the occasional young ones that hit this place as a yahoo or google search.

I'm pretty Ticked off as far as the Toll road thing goes. Initially there was supposed to be an LRT (or something) going down the middle, but Tom Delay nixed that by forcing Metro to put EVERY new phase under a vote.

A combo of HOV and Rail would be ideal for people that don't necessarily work at a major employment center, or has to go clear across town to get to their jobs.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, WXman, watch the language. You may allude to it, but try to keep it civil. Some of us (namely me) can be a bit Neanderthalish in mannerisms and vocabulary, but we "skirt" with euphemisms and metaphors.

Ex. "They've gotta be manureing us."

I think HOV lanes are a waste, but that's just me. I know you all disagree with that.

According to numbers provided by METRO to the Dept of Transportation, in 2003 the HOV lanes accounted for 40 percent of the morning peak hour total person movement on three of the freeways. IMO that's impressive.

According to numbers provided by METRO to the Dept of Transportation, in 2003 the HOV lanes accounted for 40 percent of the morning peak hour total person movement on three of the freeways. IMO that's impressive.

When they can make the Katy Freeway commute not be a slice of hell on wheels (literally) I'll be impressed. And HOV lanes just don't do it.

I particularly like the Gulf Freeway HOV that can be completely blocked by a big enough vehicle breaking down....or an accident. People actually get into accidents in HOV lanes, to my bewilderment.

When they can make the Katy Freeway commute not be a slice of hell on wheels (literally) I'll be impressed. And HOV lanes just don't do it.

I particularly like the Gulf Freeway HOV that can be completely blocked by a big enough vehicle breaking down....or an accident. People actually get into accidents in HOV lanes, to my bewilderment.

Do you not like the HOV system because you don't use it?

The Gulf Freeway HOV can be a little exciting. Esp when the 610 section with its dips and turns when you don't have a 50mph clown in front of you.

what modes of transportation are accident free?

what modes of transportation are accident free?

None, but how people can bump into each other in a single-file lane does little to advance the notion that every idiot driving their own chunk of steel at 60mph is the safest means of getting around.

Part of my pro-transit stance is, in fact, that I think most people are not good enough drivers to be out on the roads. I'd like to superglue the ass of every cellphone-clutching yahoo on the freeways to a train seat.

I don't use the HOV either. I'm usually alone when I go to work...as are many of us. Not to mention that the once or twice I have used it with other people, I've gotten behind the 50mph clown. I've never seen a major city like Houston. You've got a little tiny three lane freeway going into downtown Houston on 45. That's almost humerous. Same thing with 59. What idiot decided it's a good idea to merge two lanes into one going southbound on 288 to 59?? Or perhaps to split 59 in two going into downtown. No wonder it's a cluster. But again, this coming from the same idiots that decided to spend 10 years widening I-10 by one lane.

Commuter rail would be far better than the HOV lanes. Correct me if I'm wrong (which God knows you guys will), but the people holding up the rail are the inner city, lower grade people, who don't want it. I think you'll find that many of the burbs would opt for it. I know I would.

What are "lower grade" people?

my apologies. I should not have characterized certain people as "lower grade." That was wrong on my part. I won't specify who I was talking about. Let's just say people of limited means...who are not as well off as many of us.

my apologies. I should not have characterized certain people as "lower grade." That was wrong on my part. I won't specify who I was talking about. Let's just say people of limited means...who are not as well off as many of us.

People of limited means usually don't have a lot of political sway. I don't think poor, inner-loop folks are holding up commuter rail. I think politicians, and the developers who own them, are. Developers want highways because people who want houses in the burbs want a good highway to get there. Sure, there are plenty of suburban folks who would love commuter rail. But so far I don't think they have the majority, or the political clout, to make it happen.

With prices the way they are there isn't much chuck roast left ITL, and the ones that are there don't care what the hell Rail does. Medium Grade Ribeye has to move out of the loop to find green pastures these day.. The Kobe NIMBYS are the ones that hold up many of the rail projects.

With prices the way they are there isn't much chuck roast left ITL, and the ones that are there don't care what the hell Rail does. Medium Grade Ribeye has to move out of the loop to find green pastures these day.. The Kobe NIMBYS are the ones that hold up many of the rail projects.

Nicely put!

-a sirloin burger headed to the greener pastures OTL

People of limited means usually don't have a lot of political sway. I don't think poor, inner-loop folks are holding up commuter rail. I think politicians, and the developers who own them, are. Developers want highways because people who want houses in the burbs want a good highway to get there. Sure, there are plenty of suburban folks who would love commuter rail. But so far I don't think they have the majority, or the political clout, to make it happen.

Developers also want rail to build mixed-use developments.

no your comment was that we paid a few billion for tolls lanes in the middle. we didnt. gas taxes are being used to finance some of the expansion (the free lanes /feeder) but hctra is funding the toll portion.

All that money for just one extra regular lane and a feeder lane? Wow, now I REALLY wish they had put that up for a vote. So if a few billion gets one extra regular lane and a feeder lane, all those extra lanes in the middle must have cost at least several times as much. Either they're expecting several billion patrons or those are going to be some expensive tolls.

All that money for just one extra regular lane and a feeder lane? Wow, now I REALLY wish they had put that up for a vote. So if a few billion gets one extra regular lane and a feeder lane, all those extra lanes in the middle must have cost at least several times as much. Either they're expecting several billion patrons or those are going to be some expensive tolls.

it's more involved than one extra lane and a feeder lane. the maintenance on the 60's infrastructure, had become expensive, and many portions did not meet recommendations for height, etc. The inner loop portion of the katy has already been rebuilt for the same reasons and we gained no lanes. were you against that as well? as with all infrastructure, it must be maintained at the minimum and/or expanded to accomodate growth.

a couple of yrs ago, the city was forced to replaced the sewer system on my street because residents at the other end of the block were having issues. this past weekend, the electrical service to my house failed due to aged infrastructure i.e. it was not maintained. not sure about you, but i'm grateful for maintenance.

M01A0300.jpg

We shouldn't care about Joe Analyst II working from home in his robe, in his creepy house, as long as the trains run on time. (OK, maybe not the best metaphor......)

Yeah, it lacks a certain precision.

Lose the robe, add a bottle of rum (the scotch being kept at work), and change the words "creepy" to "crappy" and "house" to "condo". Now we're talking reality.

Hmm...I've probably said too much.

Archived