Four Toll Lanes on I-10?

Tolls on rebuilt Katy Freeway may double at rush hour | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Admittedly I wasn't paying much attention to the details of this project, I wasn't aware that there was such a significant tollroad component built into the I-10 project. There's an article in Chronicle stating that four lanes of the newly expanded I-10 are designated toll lanes which may or may not impose 'congestion' pricing when they open this October.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that perhaps the prices SHOULD be increased, but I'm not entirely sure by how much. I mean, if too many people use the HOV lane by simply paying it, then that lane will be congested after only a few years.

Brilliant. Amazingly Brilliant.

Ok, so gas is going up, most of the US economy down, so lets not only toll, but double the tolls. People will chose to hit the free lanes and the old congestion problem remains unsolved. And what are they ever going to do about the 610 interchange?

I'm so glad I never hit a freeway anymore.

I find all of this hilarious (I guess because I don't live out that way, it can be funny to me). The comments at the Chron site are great... all these people going, "we were duped! we were duped! we should have put light rail in instead!!."

Anytime the masses in Houston start screaming for light rail instead of freeways, you know things are wacky.

Ok, so gas is going up, most of the US economy down, so lets not only toll, but double the tolls. People will chose to hit the free lanes and the old congestion problem remains unsolved. And what are they ever going to do about the 610 interchange?

I don't recall hearing about a toll-road component on I-10 before this.

A toll component in some form has been part of the Katy Freeway project since the beginning. Variable congestion pricing has been the preferred option for several years now.

No Katie, there are going to be TWO FREE HOV lanes, only one is going to be a toll lane (I believe, someone correct me). If you have two or more people in, its free. It is if you want to ride ALONE, then you get tolled.

Of course, if it happens on this system, we would get TROLLED...but that's for a another good drunken pun session.

No Katie, there are going to be TWO FREE HOV lanes, only one is going to be a toll lane (I believe, someone correct me). If you have two or more people in, its free. It is if you want to ride ALONE, then you get tolled.

There will be two managed lanes in each direction. During the peak period, carpools of 3+ will be free, all other vehicles will pay a toll. This is for both lanes.

Of course, if it happens on this system, we would get TROLLED...but that's for a another good drunken pun session.

Two free HOV lanes, thanks for the correction. No one carpools in this town, how stupid to make two HOV and only one Toll.

Anyway, I was referring to the normal i-10 lanes being free. not the HOV or Toll.

Either way, I think traffic will get worst due to this. Hopefully it will cause more gentrification and reclaiming of old Inner Beltway hoods. Really with tolls,traffic, taxes and TAKS education...do the burbs really look that good anymore? Sacrificing the big, new house for a better life might be a trend. Let's hope.

We did, and life couldn't be sweeter.

Yes, these managed toll lanes have been part of the re-contruction project from the very beginning. Trust me, they dont just squeze 4 lanes of highway in withough planning it that way from the beginning.

The Managed Toll lanes are the new version of HOV lanes. Instead of 1 contra-low lane, you will now have 2 permanent lanes in each direction to use as HOV lanes.

In order to maximize usage of these lanes, it has been suggested that non-HOV vehicles will be allowed to pay a toll and use the lanes.

Here is the problem.

If you let too many people use the managed toll lanes, they will get congested. One obvious way to limit how many people use the toll lanes is to adjust the supply and demand curve. Obviously demand is going to be high. They didnt just rebuild I-10 because of lack of demand. However, the supply is fixed. The road can only handle so many cars per hour. To adjust this curve, you have to adjust how much it costs to use the managed toll lanes. By setting prices higher during high demand times, you achieve the objective.

If you let too many people use the managed toll lanes, they will get congested. One obvious way to limit how many people use the toll lanes is to adjust the supply and demand curve. Obviously demand is going to be high. They didnt just rebuild I-10 because of lack of demand. However, the supply is fixed. The road can only handle so many cars per hour. To adjust this curve, you have to adjust how much it costs to use the managed toll lanes. By setting prices higher during high demand times, you achieve the objective.

Excellent explanation.

Additionally, one of the fundamentals of traffic flow is that vehicular flow rate plummets in stop and go condition. Freeway capacity occurs when it is moving between 40-50 mph. Generally you can get about 2200-2300 passenger cars per lane at this speed. But once flow breaks down, that decreases drastically to just a few hundred vehicles per hour. So by increasing the toll rate during periods of high demand, the lanes are kept moving which, in turn, keeps the vehicular (and passenger) flow rate high. This maximizes the overall efficiency of the roadway.

This is why the public has trouble with the idea: because it is counterintuitive to essentially state "that by keeping some people from using it, more people can use it." But that's how it works.

I do like how people always through a fit that they have been "tricked". I guess all the public meetings they had and the documents that have been on the Web for years that showed this and talked about "variable" tolls was not enough. They need to go to each person and tell them.

You could have 10 general purpose lanes in both directions on IH-10 Katy and still have issues with congestion (not to mention some major weaving issues). This is attributed to the physical design of Houston and most sunbelt cities, with people moving farther away from their places of business to get to cheap real estate and good schools.

Utilized properly, a managed toll facility will at least give people a choice for improving their travel time if they are willing to pay a price. I personally think that its going to take awhile for Harris County to figure out how to use this thing. But mark my word, the world's traffic engineers and politicians are watching, and these will be popping up all over the place in the future.

Oh, and so nobody acts surprised, 290 also has toll lanes built in to its pending reconstruction.

http://www.my290.com/Map.htm

I find all of this hilarious (I guess because I don't live out that way, it can be funny to me). The comments at the Chron site are great... all these people going, "we were duped! we were duped! we should have put light rail in instead!!."

Anytime the masses in Houston start screaming for light rail instead of freeways, you know things are wacky.

Yeah, I read the comments at the Chronicle and it was surprising how upset people are about this. It's the "Lexus Lane" thing: many people feel that since their tax dollars have been spent on the reconstruction, it is inequitable to charge large fares to reduce congestion. Peak pricing was also proposed for the Westpark toll road but it was rolled back due to the public resistance.

many people feel that since their tax dollars have been spent on the reconstruction, it is inequitable to charge large fares to reduce congestion. Peak pricing was also proposed for the Westpark toll road but it was rolled back due to the public resistance.

Yes tax dollars were used for a portion of the project however HCTRA kicked in 500 million for the toll road here which sure helps when funding is limited. Numerous organizations were involved here.

I find it sadly funny that people are so perturbed about this. Weren't they patting Culberson on the back for getting this project going? The whole reason that the Katy will be done by 2009 instead of 2012 is because of HCTRA fronting TxDOT something to the tune of $500 million (EDIT: Thanks for the right number Musicman) in exchange for being able to operate managed lanes. Mark my words, $2.50 is going to seem like chump change after while. I think the toll will end up being more like $5, because HCTRA is going to realize that plenty of people (aka too many) will be able to afford $2.50.

So what the project really is is one new lane in each direction and in places one new feeder lane in each direction of the Katy Freeway with the construction of the Katy Tollway in the median. They are two projects stitiched together.

Houston is just the latest to use this approach--San Diego and Minneapolis have been doing this for quite some time. Washington, DC also only allows HOVs inside their Beltway at certain times as well IIRC.

I find it sadly funny that people are so perturbed about this. Weren't they patting Culberson on the back for getting this project going? The whole reason that the Katy will be done by 2009 instead of 2012 is because of HCTRA fronting TxDOT something to the tune of $500 million (EDIT: Thanks for the right number Musicman) in exchange for being able to operate managed lanes. Mark my words, $2.50 is going to seem like chump change after while. I think the toll will end up being more like $5, because HCTRA is going to realize that plenty of people (aka too many) will be able to afford $2.50.

So what the project really is is one new lane in each direction and in places one new feeder lane in each direction of the Katy Freeway with the construction of the Katy Tollway in the median. They are two projects stitiched together.

Houston is just the latest to use this approach--San Diego and Minneapolis have been doing this for quite some time. Washington, DC also only allows HOVs inside their Beltway at certain times as well IIRC.

I suppose the hard part will be finding the right price that is high enough to keep the toll lane traffic moving but not so high that they don't make enough revenue. The peak time congestion pricing seems to make sense.

In addition to finding the "right price" (meaning a higher price) don't forget they can always adjust the criteria for HOV to go up as they decide they want to make more money from the tollpaying people.

Usually when someone brings up "congestion pricing" I like to ask if it will be free when no one is using it. Saying it is a HOV lane that tolls everyone else is a clever end run around this. So effectively it is not really congestion pricing, it is just a regular tollway with a peak-time luxury tax. How disingenuous.

In addition to finding the "right price" (meaning a higher price) don't forget they can always adjust the criteria for HOV to go up as they decide they want to make more money from the tollpaying people.

Usually when someone brings up "congestion pricing" I like to ask if it will be free when no one is using it. Saying it is a HOV lane that tolls everyone else is a clever end run around this. So effectively it is not really congestion pricing, it is just a regular tollway with a peak-time luxury tax. How disingenuous.

I think conjestion pricing will ultimately mean that fares could decrease during non-peak times (probably never free). I also think rebates for trips that end up being conjested even though the driver paid the increased fare will occur. But these are enhancements that will take time and technology to incoporate.

It is really WORTH just buying a home close to the center of the city/work.

Living in places like Spring/Cypress, Katy, Sugar Land is just a huge investment, especially with fuel on the rise.

Living in places like Spring/Cypress, Katy, Sugar Land is just a huge investment, especially with fuel on the rise.

I agree. Over the past couple of weeks I was looking at my fuel consumption and a round trip from Montrose to the Beltway would take 2.5 to 3 gallons for a round trip. The milage may vary because some freeways are more congested than others. That equates to about $12 a DAY in fuel (approx) for those that live outside the Beltway and that is if you strictly use the car for Work. That doesn't include maintenance, tires, etc.. that's kinda' scary.

It is really WORTH just buying a home close to the center of the city/work.

I'd only live in those places if I worked there. Otherwise, forget it. Those people are pretty much paying a second mortgage at the pump. Now they'll be paying a third one taking I-10 it sounds like.

It is really WORTH just buying a home close to the center of the city/work. Living in places like Spring/Cypress, Katy, Sugar Land is just a huge investment, especially with fuel on the rise.

Assuming someone works near the center of the city yes. But since downtown isn't the only employment center, the burbs are convenient locations for some.

I know the "managed lanes" concept has been part of the reconstruction since the beginning, well before construction started. It was in the news articles 5 years ago (or whenever I-10 reconstruction was initially discussed prior to construction).

Here's the question I've been asking ever since I first heard about the idea: HOW DO THEY DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN AN "HOV" CAR AND A SINGLE-RIDER CAR? How does the system know who to toll and who rides for free? Is this done by a person watching a screen, or the honor system or what?

Assuming someone works near the center of the city yes. But since downtown isn't the only employment center, the burbs are convenient locations for some.

I live in Cinco Ranch and work in the Westchase district. I do not use I-10 hardly ever, if I do it's on the weekend. same with the westpark tollway which I use more often on the weekend. I can travel straight east/west on Westheimer Parkway and Westheimer to just off Wilcrest where I work. Even with all the lights it takes me anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes on average. I believe it's about a 12 mile drive to work for me, about 5 of which is driving through the Barker resivoir which I enjoy in the mornings.

How many people don't even need to commute?

I've seen a couple of internal studies at past employers (which were quickly quashed) . I can only speak for my industry, but roughly 70% of the people in my office don't need to be here on-site to do their job. I'm not sure what it is--companies afraid they'l lose productivity? There are some legitimate fears about intellectual property and working remotely, but mainly, no executive wants to spend money on any IT infrastructure improvements that don't positively impact his bottom line that quarter, or that year, or for that 5 year strategic plan.

It is patently ridiculous that I need to be here, in my overly lit office that hasn't been vaccumed since 1984, to make my daily contribution to shareholder value.

We have the technology. All I need is mid-level remote database clearance, and some upgraded software.

edit: we're so unwilling to pay the costs now for improvement down the line, we're still arguing over freeways--100 years after the automobile. That's just nuts.

Ok, can somebody help me out here? I have heard 10 different things about the new interstate. I've heard it to be as much as 24 lanes across. I've heard 10 lanes, I've heard 16 lanes. Which is it? The way I understood it was it will be 10 mainlanes on each side with 4 HOV lanes in the center. Is this correct?

Archived