Olajuwon in HOF

wernicke

Now it's time to get his coach, Guy V. Lewis, into the HOF. The man coached 3 of the 50 best NBA players of all time (only Dean Smith can match that), went to 5 Final Fours and 2 NCAA Finals, 30 straight winning seasons, set up the first ever nationally televised college basketball game (the #1 UCLA vs #2 UH Game of the Century in the Astrodome), helped integrate college basketball in Texas...

...and somehow Dick Vitale gets inducted into the Basketball HOF before Guy V Lewis?!? :angry2:

What "contribution to the game" has Dick Vitale given us that tops Guy V Lewis?

Oh yeah, congrats to my fellow Coog, Akeem "The Dream" Olajuwon!

etick_a_olajuwon_310.jpg

Love him or hate him, Vitale is an ambassador of the game and has made enough of a contribution to be in the HOF. But not before Guy Lewis.

If it wasn't for the Whittenburg/Charles airball-pass he'd have been in a long time ago.

But of course this is nothing but deserved for Dream...

The only player ever to win MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, and Finals MVP all in the same season. Way to go, Hakeem the Dream, [Always on Top] Olajuwon. An excellent athlete, businessman and all-around awesome guy (he speaks at least 6 languages fluently, including French, Arabic and three Nigerian dialects). Plus, he went to U of H.

This is neat too, if not a little old.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/realesta...juwon,%20Hakeem

As a native Utahn now living in Houston, Hakeem and The Rockets broke my heart many times as they would eliminate my Jazz from the playoffs. The year or two Jordan retired, Hakeem was easily the best player in the league. For a short period of time, he was as dominant as any player that has ever lived. Hakeem is the greatest center I've had the pleasure of watching in my lifetime. Much Respect Dream.

Bill Simmons ranked the greatest MVP races and one with Hakeem was in third. Here's what he had to say:

THE THIRD GREATEST MVP RACE EVER

1993: Charles Barkley averaged a 26-12-5 for the 62-win Suns and won because everyone was tired of voting for Michael Jordan, which became awkward when Jordan cremated the Suns in the Finals. In fact, MJ finished third in the voting behind Hakeem Olajuwon, who submitted one of the greatest all-around seasons of the modern era (averaging a 26-13 with 150 steals and 342 blocks). Any time three of the greatest 20 players peak during the same year, that's a pretty good MVP race.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/080415

Archived